• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
aldo56

1.6 - 1.9 Conversion?

Cameron

Yep, do the conversion! If these people are right about the 1.6 handling better then you should have the best of both worlds :)

aldo56

the best of both worlds eh ;) ?? looks like im gonna go for the 1.9 engine, has anyone got one they dont want any more???? :)

GLPoomobile

The best of both world's until you decide that you want bigger brakes and realise you will need to swap over to 1.9 hubs and thus lose the wider front track.

kman1600

Hi,

Did the conversion from 1.6 to 1.9 only once and was totally underwhelmed by the difference it made. I'd reckon that time and money would be better spent getting your gear ratios sorted, plan with the current 1.6 project is a hybrid MI16/GTI gearbox and more modern injection (no AFM).

Tim

j-16

Don't do it!!

Surely an engine conversion for 15bhp (if that) is crazy! I'd stick with 1.6 or go for the full 16v/turbo.

I much prefer the revy nature of the 1.6 although the 1.9 is definately a little faster if both in good condition.

Cameron

Yeah the thing is.. its not just 15bhp.. its a fecking bucketload of torque too! and thats what really makes the 1.9 so much better. :lol:

As for swapping the front hubs.. why bother putting 1.9 ones on? if youre going to start taking the suspension apart then whack some 309 arms and hubs in there and get even wider track! :lol:

Edited by Cameron

Baz

Then you really want uprated rear torsion bar/s or you'll suffer more understeer!

Cameron

:lol: Understeer? from getting wider track? how does that work..

When i fitted 309 suspension to my 205 i noticed the front end has more grip, not less.

aldo56

Ah the joys of motoring! WHY DONT PPL AGREE!!!?a?!?!?

im now thinking im gonna stick an xu10 head and maybe a hotter cam on my 1.6 as it seems to be in alright nick. I aint had it rollign roaded but it eats my mates saxo vtr which he claims is at around 90bhp from standard.

Unless that is anyone has a 1.9 engine they would sell to me???? :unsure:

Xu10 head would also be useful

Radster

I would say handling really is negliable IMO unless your tracking it and even then I reckon you would be hard pushed to find a winner. Engine wise I cant see much between the 1.9 and 1.6, depends (on how most people have mentioned) whether you want a revvy engine or more grunty engine. I love my 1.6 in the twisties, revving it was you pull away from corners, for the effort I cant see the point in upgrading at the moment as it is more than fast enough even on the motorway. 4k @ 70-80 doesnt even affect me anymore, I just dont notice it. I would save pennies on getting the rest of the car in reasonable shipshape condition and then doing a big upgrade, Ive done wishbone, brakes, steering etc etc so the bulk of the car is pretty healthy and done a few bits here and there to keep the engine happy and now am waiting to Mi or GTi6 it :unsure:

Doh just noticed the above post is by the original topic starter! That'll teach me to re-scan the post after not viewing it for a few days!

Edited by Radster

Sign in to follow this