• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
base-1

8v Cambelt

base-1

Bit of a dumb question this really, but I'm reluctant to just assume anything...

Having just rebuilt the engine from my white GTi, it is nearly ready to go back in. Obviously one of the last things to do is the cambelt, but I have slight issues with the bottom pulley position, as it was off of course so I couldn't lock it

There is a mark on the cambelt cog on one of the teeth, dead opposite the woodruff key, that looks like a timing mark, and it is currently exactly by the locking tab in the block, if that makes sense. However with the auxiliary pulley on aswell, the timing looks wrong, 1/3 of a crank rotation out.

Are there only meant to be 3 holes in the aux pulley on the crank? As on mine there are an extra 2, one ust either side of one of the main holes, and it's served to confuse me no end as I took this thing apart months ago now. Serves me right for being so slack, but annoying as fook nonetheless as I need to get it working asap :)

Sorry about the essay, many thanks to anyone that can help, I can provide pics as of this evening.

Cheers

Rich

Richie-Van-GTi

the centre hole where the extra 2 are is the locking hole for bottom pulley.

j_turnell

The timing mark on the actual pully with the woodruff key is for the mark on the belt. When the pully is put on, the 2 singular holes should line up with the lower cam cover bolt heads and the 3 holes together, the middle raised one of the three is the timing hole.

base-1

Cool, thought it should have been that one but when I noticed the mark on the toothed pulley I suddenly had major doubts as I'd never noticed it before! Stupid idea, I blame Peugeot lol

Cheers guys

Sign in to follow this