• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Alastairh

Done A Clutch Swap On A Mates Ax....

Alastairh

Well basically mate has a 1.1 L reg Ax.

I said yeah ok i'll do your clutch swap, didn't think too much of it, as i've done quite a few on my own now.

Got the box off, and realised one of the 5 springs had gone on the plate.

Checked the flywheel, seemed ok.

So put it back together. Whilst assembeling one of the gear linkage rubbers broke in my hand, so went citroen and got a new one along with oil.

So taken it for a spin.

Clutch pedal sits spot along with the brake pedal. I get every gear fine, but ONLY 2nd crunches and screams.

My thoughts are the box is at fault, but just need some of your views before i go tell him just incase im at fault.

Alastair

Anthony

If it's only one gear that crunches then it's almost certainly a gearbox fault, and the synchro in 2nd seems to be the one that fails first. If you can get 1st and reverse easily and the other gears don't "snatch" then the clutch is likely disengaging fine

t16ryan

did it crunch before you done the clutch? anthony right seems like worn syncro on second thats the one that always fails on them boxes

huxley309

check to see if the box is bolted on tight sometimes it can move while driiving and cause the crunching

Veero

Sounds like the synchro.

My first 1.6 was from London area and 1st to 2nd was knackered but all other gears were spot on.

Had to double declutch it really to make it not "snatch" as Anthony put it.

Veero

Edit: DOh just noticed its a TU and I've never owned a TU but the symptoms are the same I guess

Edited by Veero

Alastairh

Gear box is on nice and tight.

Never drove the car as the clutch was too fooked to make it move.

Im fairly sure its the box thats gone, just needed someone else to say yeah deffinatly.

Cheers Alastair

Sign in to follow this