• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kate205gti

Shiney Thing! :d

kate205gti

look what got delivered to my work this morning!! :D

cam4bx.jpg

an inlet only catcam 4900526 at a very nice price :mellow: big thanx to QEP for sending it so quick! :D

Im well chuffed - fit it next weekend hopefully with some pulleys then off to emerald for a mapping sesh :angry: will post up the results afterwards but hoping for a few more horses with that :D :D

Edited by kate205gti

Jonmurgie

Nice one, with the verniers and that cam you should certainly see a good few more horses :mellow:

Shevy

With your new engine Jon and Kate's inlet Cam and Vernier pulleys, I'm getting well excited about getting my engine back.

My spec is so similar to yours Jon,lookng forward to seeing your results :lol:

petert

Notice that Catcams recommend 112 deg. lobe centre, or 1.75mm @ TDC, as a setup point with that cam. I'd strongly recommend another 2-3 degrees advanced, or approx. 1.9-2.0mm.

ashley peddle
:) Edited by ashley peddle

kate205gti

^^ oops was signed in as ash :D

Notice that Catcams recommend 112 deg. lobe centre, or 1.75mm @ TDC, as a setup point with that cam. I'd strongly recommend another 2-3 degrees advanced, or approx. 1.9-2.0mm.

thanks peter :D am having a few timing issues on these at the mo with kent vernier pulleys - is 3-4degrees advanced the optimum timing for both the inlet and exhaust pulleys please? :) thanku ;)

taffycrook

Put one of them puppies in a mi16 with std pulleys and std timing seems to go well.

Target power is 180 bhp but we were just short. Interesting to see how it goes on TB's as that is his next step.

d-9

Which standard pulleys is it you have on yours taffycrook?

Looking at what petert says, Im guessing a no 2 pulley is the best bet fir the inlet (114degree iirc)

kate205gti

graph and power comparison and general babble here :(;):P

193.4bhp - none too shoddy :D

smckeown

not all of us are a member over there, why not post it here ?? :(

Rippthrough
just got back from deepest darkest norfolk in a very happy mi (wooo!) after being to see Dave Walker at Emerald biggrin.gif

for those who dont know my 205 had a new cam fitted at the weekend (thanku Anthony!!) along with some vernier pulleys and was in dire need of a remap and needed the cam timing set up

the day did not start off well thanks to a rather large car park aka the A14 sad.gif stuck on there for 2 and a half hours and eventually turned up at emerald at 11.45 rather thanthe planned 10.30 - leaving it a bit tight to squeeze in some timing and remap before the next appointment at 2.30!!

fair play to dave thou he doesnt let scatty blondes in dodgy french cars phase him

cam timing was duely worked out (as it was way off the mark!) and set to the best possible with a dial gauge (without moving the cambelt round) - it should be be 45thou on the exhaust pulley and 68 on the inlet - we managed 30 and 60 which was better than the 12 it was at on the way up unsure.gif

put it all back together and started to map it but momo being french decided a stutter at 4k would be funny thing to try (at 1.30!!) - after a lot of investigation and a bit of panicking (we thought no compression on cylinder 1!) it turned out to be a dodgy injector plug phew! new one sourced and fitted and started the mapping again (said hello and sorry to the 2.30 appointment who sat down with a cup of tea to watch the fun)

wasnt looking spectalur to start with - about the same power as before across 2k, 2500, 3k, 3.5, 4k... then the fun began.. turns out this cam likes to play about 5k!!

results speak for themselves so i'll shut up now and post them (laid over the previous run with no cam), needless to say 20bhp and 15lbft increase has made me happy

momo7av.jpg

193.4BHP!

the car is still very driveable, same as before at low revs, starts on the key and purrs along on very light throttle - then u hit 5k and all hell breaks loose and of course its rude not to so need to try and keep my licence now

still doesnt stop or steer and im now officially skint so will hopefully enjoy it to its full potential ina few months time when i have brakes and can stay on the road and can afford the petrol again lol

in the meantime thou im quite chuffed with the results HUGE thankyou to dave walker (and leoni and karl) at emerald - he really knows these engines and what he's doing! and of course to my long suffering mates especially Anthony!! look out for dodgy pics in PPC (i got told to pose! on my engine - with a sheep!)

Edited by Rippthrough

smckeown

very nice result, me thinks that engine will be seeing higher revs more often than it did :(

kate205gti

sorry sean was running out the door (to play with my 1bhp - feels so slow now lol need turbo!) so was quicker just to link it :( thanks Rippthrough for pasting ;)

was a very nice result :D well chuffed with that - the cars still got its original characteristics (light throttle, nice idle, good in traffic) but now turns into a proper beast after 5k :D just need to restrain from booting it everywhere lol :P:D :D

Jonmurgie

Great stuff Kate... glad the verniers did their job :(

kate205gti

yup they were spot on :( thanks jon ;):P

C_W
not all of us are a member over there, why not post it here ?? ;)

duh! it takes like 2 minutes to register..your loss

:(:P

So will this cam on a standard Mi16 engine be useful?

smckeown

haha yea i remember that advice, situation is slightly different tho I think

kate205gti

my engine is basically standard apart from the bodies :( and the 173 printout was for same spec less the cams and pulleys so they alone have given 20bhp :P might be slightly less increase on a single tb'd engine but definately worth it i would say ;)

d-9

any ideas what caused the spikes between 6500 and 7000?

John_B

Glad you're happy with yours Kate, I'm very happy with mine.

Put one of them puppies in a mi16 with std pulleys and std timing seems to go well.

It's my car that Andy's talking about and here's the graph we got. It's on standard pulleys and timing, with standard TB, shortened inlet, 2 row ECU and magnex exhaust. It's also got 3 angle valve seats and has had some minor head work done. It has a downpipe with the split and this has melted and is partially blocking the exhaust so we're going to get this fixed and then retested.

Mi177.jpg

I'd say so!

kate205gti

ooh thats bloody good - that the same cam? :D

where does it come on in urs - looks about 4500?? im wondering if my cam timing would bring the band down at all??

John_B
ooh thats bloody good - that the same cam? :D

where does it come on in urs - looks about 4500?? im wondering if my cam timing would bring the band down at all??

Yeah I'm well happy. We were looking for 180 but maybe now it's run in and with a new downpipe we'll get it.

It does come in at 4500 - and its not bad below that either.

I'm not sure what you mean about the timing isn't yours advanced taking it further up?

taffycrook
Which standard pulleys is it you have on yours taffycrook?

Looking at what petert says, Im guessing a no 2 pulley is the best bet fir the inlet (114degree iirc)

No idea which pulleys, I did the build Sept last year. goes well mind. It has the benifit of 3 angle seats which were blended into the throats. But on that set of rollers its a 12 BHP gain over the average mi16. (165)

There was a thread about this cam around the time and it compares well with any of the re profiled offerings for about the same money. I would like to see if altering the cam timing would reap any benifits but as a simple bolt in mod it seems to work as well as anything for the money.

Bonzai

sorry to drag this thread back up, ive been searching abit about the catcam inlet cam.

Maybe ive been a bit mislead but i would of expected an engine of Kate's spec to produce over the 200bhp mark. Could this be that peak power is beyond 8k?

The catcams website doesnt mean alot to me, cam timing is still black magic in my book. what sort of difference would adding a matching exhaust cam make to power and torque? not just peaks but low and midrange too please.

Also how essential are vernier pulleys when using a cam/pair

Sign in to follow this