• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Lucky Gti

Hdi Conversion

Lucky Gti

The pug is nearly on the road, with justa couple of jobs for the MOT. My question is.... would it be worth changing my 1.6 engine and gearbox to an Hdi or diesel turbo from a 306. This is of course led by the dreaded mpg :mellow: and the fact that my daily commute is just about to go through the roof! :angry: Opinions?

Anthony

Certainly wouldn't bother with a 1.9TD lump as they're really not that economical at all - my 1.6 GTi only gets about 4-5mpg less than I used to get from my 306 DTurbo, and that moderate difference is more than outweighed by the 10 fold increase in driving enjoyment.

HDi might be worth it, but that's alot of work, and it would take alot of miles to pay back the costs in fuel saving. There was a laser green 205 Gti with a HDi lump on eBay recently.

Personally, I'd say either keep the current engine and enjoy it, or sell the car and buy something dull and economical.

Doof

Has anyone considered moving onto LPG? The tax is held until at least 2009 and at 45p a litre i'm seriously considering it!

t16ryan

why go to LPG Knacker your engine and lose perfomance, if ya want a slow caar does MPG get a 205 diesel

Doof

The performance decrease is about 1% which isn't noticeable.

How and why does it knacker your engine?

Pug_101
The performance decrease is about 1% which isn't noticeable.

How and why does it knacker your engine?

Harder Valveseats and possibly valves are fitted to new LPG cars.

If you want fuel economy consider the following.

Fit a milder camshaft from a non GTi car, BX, 306 etc.

Fit the correct ecu from that car.

and adjust the throttle so it can't open fully.

Buy thinner tyres and reduce the drag of your car.

Also considering the cost involved in LPG conversion (don't cut corners on the install) it would take a long time/miles to gain any benifit money wise.

This would be a lot cheaper

Cheers

Anthony
If you want fuel economy consider the following.

Fit a milder camshaft from a non GTi car, BX, 306 etc.

Fit the correct ecu from that car.

and adjust the throttle so it can't open fully.

Buy thinner tyres and reduce the drag of your car.

Doesn't that defy the whole point of a 205 GTi?

Oh, and for what it's worth, my old cammed 1.9 8v was the most economical 1.9 8v I've known...

Greenys_meanies
why go to LPG Knacker your engine and lose perfomance, if ya want a slow caar does MPG get a 205 diesel

my 205 Dt is hardly slow and i probably get about the same mpg as a GTI !!! 40mpg if i drive it properly, 50 if i'm being a girl

i get 38mpg out of my RenaultSport 172 Cup when driving hard!!!

Lucky Gti

:lol: Well, that's certainly plenty to think about. Saw the green Hdi on flea-bay, thats what bought it all on really. I'm gonna run it as is for the time being and see what its like! Think i'll be putting off the Mi-16 conversion for a while!

LPG? I've looked at this quite a lot lately. I don't think you need harder valve seats, lots of the classic car mob fit them due to the shortage of leaded petrol. Performance? Maybe a little drop, and i guess the cost of the conversion would be offset by the miles you do? The more you do, the quicker you start seeing the benefits!

TEKNOPUG

Just get a more economical car. It's farcical to get a GTi and then detune it!

huckleberry
Think i'll be putting off the Mi-16 conversion for a while!

I've heard from 205 mi16 users that if you drive like a granny a MI16 engine does more kilometers per liter than any other 8v engine.

But I agree with Anthony. Either you have and drive a GTI like mr Peugeot intended it or you want cheap driving and get yourself a VW TD.

I hear from lots of people who just bought a fast gasoline car that they get too little mpg. So they sell it and buy a diesel. They somehow don't take the loss of selling the first car into the calculation. It will take ages to get that back buy driving a diesel. So you have to drive a boring diesel for many years just to earn your loss of selling the gasoline car back. :lol:

DaveK

yea might be worthwhile doing an 16v conversion, more power and more econimical

if you buy a cheap run around be careful not to keep swapping the cars in the insurance. ive been doing this and now the bastards wont reinsure me on the 205 cos i change too much :lol:

Guest Cartooner

I have seen performance drops of around 10/15% on LPG! Fuel economy will also drop about 10%.The more modern systems are better though, but cost a lot. One benefit: You can run loads of ignition advance and high compression with LPG.

petert

I've had LPG cars for the past 20 years. Most people don't understand the nature of the beast and dismiss it, mostly through ignorance. LPG has less kJ/L (80% of petrol) therefore you use a bit more to go the same distance. However, if it costs half that of petrol you're in front. It typically takes 25-30 000Km to recoup the cost of an installation in Australia. Most people who fit LPG still tune it for petrol and thus loose hp. It has a RON of approx. 110 therefore you should use higher compression ratios, like 11:1 minimum. LPG requires LESS advance in total, not more. However, it does require a lot more advance off idle, like approx. 20 deg. @ 1200 to a max. of 25 deg @ 2000. This is the area most LPG installations fall short. You need a dual curve ignition module or an aftermarket ECU. All modern engines designed to run on unleaded petrol have hardened valve seats and can thus run on LPG. I have a '90 4.2L Nissan Patrol that has done over 240 000Km on LPG. I rarely use petrol. Because of this the oil doesn't contaminate and I usually go 2 years between oil changes on full synthetic. LPG engines have a far longer life. I now have 340 000Km on the clock and cranking compression is still 200 psi on all cylinders. LPG engines run perfectly from dead cold as there's nothing to vapourise.

littlemike

The valve wear problem's a valid one though.

We convert cars/4x4's where I work. We also service non lpg and lpg cars. The lpg ones need regular adjustments to the exhaust valve clearances, (inlets are ok) especially Citroen, Peugeot, Honda + Toyota engines.

Engines with hydraulic lifters are ok for quite a while until they run out of adjustment, and they can do.

Land and Rangerovers seem ok though.

rich_w

Peter what do you think of power outputs of LPG cars? If you run a high compression you should able to make the same power as petrol?

petert

Modern LPG only cars make the same as petrol equivalents. Ultimate reliability comes from chrome stem stainless valves with bronze guides. I adjust the tappets on the Nissan every couple of years.

feb
i get 38mpg out of my RenaultSport 172 Cup when driving hard!!!

have you measured the consumption by reseting the counter when filling up to full and see how many miles you can do on a full tank or is that from the trip computer?

that's too good to be true!

In town short distance driving i get 23mpg! :P

Edited by feb

DaveW

i would buy an STDT or a Dturbo 205, basicly a 'gti' diesel.

jackherer
i would buy an STDT or a Dturbo 205, basicly a 'gti' diesel.

only the STDT has GTI style suspension IIRC, the Dturbo has base model track control arms as opposed to proper wishbones.

Pete C

IMO you'd be insane to replace a petrol engine with a diseasel (deliberate mis-spelling) on any car... on a 205 it'd be nothing short of sacreligious! :P

charlie_sav

are there any newer petrol engines that you could put in, whats the 1.8 16v like ???

I've just put the later 110bhp 307 1.6 16v into a s1 106 rallye, that does 43mpg at 90-100 on the motorway which i was impressed with, with only breathing mods it has also upset a clio 182,

Edited by charlie_sav

rich_w
IMO you'd be insane to replace a petrol engine with a diseasel (deliberate mis-spelling) on any car... on a 205 it'd be nothing short of sacreligious! :P

Try telling Audi that with the R10 race car, ok they do have some problems - but thats down the to the tourqe than anything else.

Ahl
only the STDT has GTI style suspension IIRC, the Dturbo has base model track control arms as opposed to proper wishbones.

The Dturbo does have GTI style wishbones too, but I don't know if the spec is different to a STDT. Non-turbo diesels have base spec suspension, with a thicker front ARB.

Pete C
Try telling Audi that with the R10 race car, ok they do have some problems - but thats down the to the tourqe than anything else.

lol - IMO diesel race cars are nothing more than a publicity stunt, they're trying to convince people that diesel is 'better' so they can sell more cars.

Sign in to follow this