• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
adammada33

Wont Start

adammada33

My 1992 non-cat 1.9 wont start can anyone help I have tried everything

its cranking Im geting fuel but no spark

Ive tried the following things

new ignition module,new coil, checked wires between coil,ignition amp,dizzy,tachcometric relay all ok

the car has been of the road for 8 months and i had changed the starter motor before this

also when the ignition turns on the fuel pump does not prime like it should (oddly if I change the ignition module for an old cavalier One I have the fuel pump primes but the car still will not start due to incompatability)

i have an imobaliser which seems to be working fine.

Im running out of ideas Is it worth me buying a distributer or tachometric relay or could it be somthing else

maby somthing I knocked when changing the starter motor

also does someone in the coventry area have a distributer or tachometric relay i could buy or try

thanks

t16ryan

had a customer with a 1900 with simular fault, it turned out to be the wires that go to the dizzy in the black shieled loom 3 wires, give it a wiggle all the way down the look see if you get spark, it had chaffed though the wire slightly, worth a try

adammada33

thanks, just had a good look at the distributer wires to the amp no damage in any place easy to acces. Where did it hapen on the one you had a problem with.

just put a wire to the signal pin on the distributor the connected it to the multimeter when cranking it is reading 150 rpm is this a reasonable test? does this mean the distributers working?

also does it us a hall effect sender?

pugrallye

silly question, but if fuel pump isnt priming how are you getting fuel?

and if your not getting spark investigate hall sender inside the dizzy, if you have replaced/ investigated rotor arm/cap/coil and ignition amp and wiring

sounds suspiciously like tachy relay to me...

Edited by pugrallye

adammada33

I dont know why Im getting fuel it certertanly smells of petrol when it has been cranked. usualy when I turn the ignition there is a bussing noise it sounds like the fuel system pressurising, that isnt happening now

thats what I ment by priming.

Anyway does the tach relay do more than switch the fuel pump on could it be this thats faulty even if Im getting fuel.

Thanks

luggy

Hi Adam

If the car is smelling of petrol when its been cranked then fuel is getting though. Check the spark plugs see if their wet, if they are then its a good possibility its electrical.

Check the the spark plugs and leads, take them out, clean them with WD40 or if they havent been done in some time replace them especially if the cars been sitting for some time, also disconnect the king lead going from the coil to the distributor, clean the connections or replace the lead and reconnect. Start off with the basics and work back, its a lot cheaper. Good luck

luggy

Edited by luggy

pugrallye

yes relay controls most of engine management, what i would do is disconnect feed pipe into a suitable container and crank over if you are def getting fuel then it will be evident. Oh and dont crank engine without spark plugs etc attatched (ie if you pull off an HT lead make sure a plug is attatched) as coil etc are quite fickle in this respect

Edited by pugrallye

adammada33

I have tried the basics its also had new plugs leads and roter arm and distributer cap but this should not mater because there is no pulse at the coil (former owner work for peugeot so I have two of every wearing part i didnt go out and by all this stuff)

thanks anyway

also when the ignition turns on the tach relay clicks does this mean its ok?

.also I have took it apart no dry joint and all resisters and diodes ok there is som burning on one of the pins it has oviasly got hot.

Thanks

Edited by adammada33

luggy

Sorry Ad didnt mean to insult your intelligence :wacko:

pugrallye

would give a relay a whirl then mate, even if you have to borrow one, clicking is no solution for correct operation

Edited by pugrallye

luggy

How about cleaning and de-rusting all the earth points ?

adammada33
I have tried the basics its also had new plugs leads and roter arm and distributer cap but this should not mater because there is no pulse at the coil (former owner work for peugeot so I have two of every wearing part i didnt go out and by all this stuff)

thanks anyway

also when the ignition turns on the tach relay clicks does this mean its ok?

.also I have took it apart no dry joint and all resisters and diodes ok there is som burning on one of the pins it has oviasly got hot.

Thanks

dont worry I didnt think that, I suppose I should have mentioned the other stuff

thanks

Adam

pugrallye

which bit? lol

adammada33
which bit? lol

I was replying to the other guy.

thanks for the advice I will try to find a relay or fix mine

Thanks

adammada33

Just tried a new relay it started but the relay then broke after 10 seconds. There must be a short somewere

any ideas were it might be.

Sign in to follow this