• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kate205gti

Squirmy 205?

kate205gti

my mi still feels a bit "squirmy" :P was playing with it on the way to work this morning and at steady cruising its fine but it u boot it it veers left B)

i have replaced the wishbones with genuine peugeot ones, fitted a recon steering rack with good track rods and two new track rod ends, the tracking was done for the MOT 2 weeks ago and was set parrallel (ie: no tow in/out) and the wishbone pinch bolts were torqued up

theres a recon 309 beam on it which is fine and bilstein coilovers

what else is there that could affect the feel of it?? would top mounts affect it at all??

cheers :)

luggy

Hi Kate

How about swapping both the nsf and nsr wheel, or nsf and osf just to make sure its not a problem with the wheel. When was the last time your drop links were changed? Arb bushes? cant think of anything else at the mo.

Luggy

kate205gti

sorry forgot to add theyre brand new eagle F1s up front too and the wheels look ok - will try swapping them too thou cheers B)

drop links i havent changed thou - is there a way of telling if theyre worn??

thanku! :P

luggy

Only time Ive been aware of them requiring replacement is when I get creaking noises coming from the front end, with a known good wishbone ball joint and bushes, driveshaft cv joint. Even if you do swap the drop links, considering they dont cost that much, and the problem is still there then at least you've ruled them out.

luggy

kate205gti

hmmm.. i do get creaky noises when im parking - i thought that might be top mounts too

but will see how much drop links are and try them first if they cheaper B)

luggy

hmmm.. i do get creaky noises when im parking - i thought that might be top mounts too

Creaky noises when parking is normally your top mounts, Any speed which is enough to get your suspension going, so long as you know your both your bottom ends are nice and tight, from my experience indicates possible drop link problems. Thats enough innuendos. I have read somewhere else on this board that it is quite common for vehicle to pull to the left anyway, cant recall where but I did a search on drop links. Still learning to get used to this posting lark.

Luggy

kate205gti

haha! is all appreciated thanku :P

one of these days my car will start, drive, stop AND steer B) lol :)

ashley peddle

no it wont B) but at least it sounds lush :P

Adnic69

Hubs gone oval where the balljoint goes in it?

Happend to me and it was as you describe

Shevy
haha! is all appreciated thanku :D

one of these days my car will start, drive, stop AND steer :blush: lol -_-

One day Kate, mine will do the same too !!! :D ha ha

Edited by Shevy

tom_m

if they are brand new tyres, do they have run out marks on them? if they are from the same batch then the run out marks will be on the same side and there's your answer, the car will pull in the direction of the runout marks

or

how many miles have you done on the new tyres, cos they can take up to 500 miles to scrub in and will be a little slippery until they do, could be a littel torqure steer on shiney new tyres?

Edited by tom_m

Anthony

Does it pull the other way at all when you brake or let off the throttle?

When it pulls left under acceleration, does it pull left and the steering wheel stays straight, or does it try and pull the steering to the left?

kate205gti

it doesnt swerve violently but if u take ur hand off the wheel the steering wheel turns as the car veers, you can let go of the wheel cruising along and it stays in its own lane, but if you accelerate it then changes lanes :) havent noticed it swerving under braking/gearing but i dont use the brakes that much :) will have a try on the way home!

Adnic69

Back to hubs then. Mine would do the lane change thingy when it had an oval hub hole for ball joint.

If you jack it up and push and pull the wheel in and out while looking at the lower ball joint where it goes into the hub you will see a small amount of play.

99% thats where your problem is.

d-9

Im with adnic here, same thign happened to tim's goodwood, and I remember you said how easy it was to get the balljoints out of the hubs on momo....

ashley peddle

wouldnt that have failed the mot though (given that the mot was only 2 weeks ago?) or are they not tested?

pugrallye

silly question but you have tightened up wishbone bolts havent you, easy to forget as they normally get torqued up when wishbone is at ride height (i have done this once or twice, lol)

kate205gti
silly question but you have tightened up wishbone bolts havent you, easy to forget as they normally get torqued up when wishbone is at ride height (i have done this once or twice, lol)

yeh - put that on the first post :) but might try some new bolts and see if that improves it - they didnt look obviously oval but they have been in and out about 100 times over the last year for various things lol :)

cheers :P

ashley peddle

they were gone up tight (i tightened them after kate fitted them) so they should be fine... saying that were both a bit weedy so they not be done up tight enough :) (although i nearly put my back out doing them so they are fine...)

kate205gti

ash feck off my thread! the guy who does my MOT torqued them up correctly so yes they are tight enough

d-9

Ahh thats a good point, if the hubs were ovaled the play would have been picked up in the MOT.

Both front springs set at the same ride height?

Sure its not just one wheel going into a rut and the diff then locking up?

Anthony
Ahh thats a good point, if the hubs were ovaled the play would have been picked up in the MOT.

Assume nothing when it comes to MOT's - I seen cars go through MOT's fine when there's been enough play/wear in suspension/steering parts that they drive pretty badly...

kate205gti

i did ask him to "just pass it" :innocent: :D but i also said it was going on track hence he checked and torqued the wishbone bolts up for me :D doesnt seem to do it under braking :D

Edited by kate205gti

Sign in to follow this