• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
methebmxer

No Signs Of Life...

methebmxer

Just finished fetting a new engine (1.9) for the first time and after carefully putting everything back where it goes and filling it up with the relevant fluids it came to the moment of truth.

I de-armed the imobilizer using the fob and turned the key one click so all the dash lights came on then all the way but absolutely nothing happened B) .

All I can hear is a very quiet click which I presume is the fuel pump. The starter isnt clicking like they normally do when you have a flat battery and the dash lights are all working and not dim. I connected up a fresh battery but still nothing.

I had the car disconnected from the battery for a few months and wondered if maybe this would affect the imobilizer?

I have checked over all connections I think are relevant and fuses etc but now I am stumped.

Any ideas much appreciated as Im gagging to take it for a spin! :P

Pete C

Try bump starting it. If it goes straight away (which I suspect it will) then you have a problem with the connection to the starter solenoid - either it's disconnected at the starter end or the browm multiplug on top of the gearbox that it goes through is corroded.

Rob_the_Sparky

Check that you are getting 12V at the starter solenoid when the key is turned. I'd also check that you haven't swapped over any connections during the rebuild.

Can't see why the immobiliser would be changed after a period off the battery.

Rob

methebmxer

Cheers guys, will have another tinker with it tonight and hopefully find the fault.

Pug_101

You can bypass the starter circuit by attaching a wire to the starter solenoid and touch this to the battery with ignition on. Works the same as position 3 with the key. It would elminiate the immobiliser and brown plug and could be worth keeping on the car for future use.

I had a very similar problem to your a few weeks ago and turned out that the solenoid wire had come off.

Cheers

methebmxer

Sounds worth a try B)

thanks

jackherer

as has been said try connecting 12v directly to the starter.

its probably not a good idea to try bumpstarting a freshly installed engine IMO.

jamesc

I've just put my car back together and had a similar problem (turn key few lights but not even turning over), turned out the earth point on the inner wing had corroded...

Worth a try....

methebmxer

Thanks for all the input everyone. I think the direct 12v to starter sounds like the best chance I have as everything else seems fine.

I just want to check I understand clearly how to do this though because I dont want to start blowing things up!.

My understanding is to connect a wire to the metal tab on the starter solenoid which the wire from the brown multiplug usually connects to then the other end goes directly to the battery positive?.

This should then create a circuit which actuates the starter and if not then it signals a fault with the starter?.

If the starter does then work it means I have a fault either with thecircuit that runs to it and/or the ignition?.

I do'nt have much time each day to getto look at the car so want to get as much information before I get under the bonnet next.

Cheers

Pug_101
Thanks for all the input everyone. I think the direct 12v to starter sounds like the best chance I have as everything else seems fine.

I just want to check I understand clearly how to do this though because I dont want to start blowing things up!.

My understanding is to connect a wire to the metal tab on the starter solenoid which the wire from the brown multiplug usually connects to then the other end goes directly to the battery positive?.

This should then create a circuit which actuates the starter and if not then it signals a fault with the starter?.

If the starter does then work it means I have a fault either with thecircuit that runs to it and/or the ignition?.

I do'nt have much time each day to getto look at the car so want to get as much information before I get under the bonnet next.

Cheers

Yes your right. I would point out that you only put the wire to the battery to crank the starter and it is then removed (I am sure you know that, but though I'd say it just in case you did'nt). Also could show a fault with the earth system as mentioned (a new earth wire could be used on the starter as well), if this happens check the earth to the gearbox is ok.

Cheers

methebmxer

HAHA I feel like such an idiot! I was looking back through some photos I took when taking the knackered engine out and spotted that the wire running to the starter solenoid was much longer than the one I had connected now. So I tried the most obvious one which has the same colour connection that I now had running to the oil temp gauge and it started first time!. I figered I must have got muddled when I re-taped the loom even though I was sure I was paying attention :P

Thanks for the help anyhoo

Bonzai

excuse me for jumping in...

but regarding the brown multiplug; is this the culprit?

Image250.jpg

Bonzai

:rolleyes: bump

assuming it is, what are appropriate courses of action if i wanted to replace this

roland rat

yep thats the bugger!!!!what you can do is find another working one cut it off and solder in and bobs your uncle!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Rob_the_Sparky

Or find a better connector (a water proof one) and put this in to replace it.

Or just remove it and connect the wires together (preferably not a stack of red crimps...)

Rob

Sign in to follow this