• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wildejon

Wandering Car

wildejon

Cool, cheers.

I'll let you all know if swapping the wheels over or replacing the lower arms has any effect...

Thanks eveyone,

Jon

Guest percy

To check if the subframe is bent use a long spirit level and place it across both subframe wishbone mounting points, if the bubble ain't level then the frame is twisted.

Guest dtouzel

I would recommend getting the geometry checked, not just tracking, this will measure the camber and caster of your wheels as well as the toe, most garages that do this could then tell you the most likely cause of why, say the camber, would be out. Its a long drive but theres a company in Southampton called Supertracker, who actually manufacture wheel alignment equipment and they also do GEO's. Id recomend them all day long...they can often adjust the suspension to get it back to manufacture tolerances, without the need to replace any components...

wildejon

One of the wishbones wouldnt fit so I'm waiting for a replacement... (hoping there is no other reason for this than a badly manufactured wishbone...). Once thats on I'll get the geometry done, there is a place round the corner from me that does it. Takes an age though!!!

I'll post the results up here, no idea what they are all meant to be but I'm sure I'll be informed :)

No change from replacing one of the lower arms as yet, mind you the tracking seems a little out now...

Cheers mate!

KRISKARRERA

Way back when I had my 309 it had exactly the same wandering problems as discussed in this thread. On the motorway it felt like it was aquaplaning at only 60+ mph in the dry and seeing as my knowledge of cars' greasy bits was alot worse then than it is now (and that's saying something) I could foresee big bills coming my way if I just started replacing bits in a trial and error fashion. Maybe I should have had a sex change and had Anthony check it over :)

Anyway the reason I'm boring you with this is that my 309 had been a biggish crash before I owned it. Big enough crash to take out a wing and bend a wishbone. My guess is mine also had a shafted subframe.

wildejon

Cheers mate,

I've had mine a couple of years now though and it has only started doing this fairly recently. I'll give the new wishbone a go on Saturday and see if it fits... If not, I may well cry...

I know the previous owner really well and I don't think he ever had any accidents in it.

richsmells

I was in a similar boat a few months ago. I (well Anthony) fitted new shocks, SBC springs, recon beam, topmounts etc. I had also changed to speedline wheels. The car felt pretty bad still! Miles checked the wishbone balljoints and fitted new bolts to the hub. I had the tracking done and it was better but still not great.

I've just fitted new ARB bushes and droplinks (myself, yay!) and... it's great! Also got rid of a dodgy creaking sound, which I thought was the UJ or rack but turned out to be the droplinks! :lol:

Greenys_meanies

don't change your wishbone unless it's knackered. your problem is deffo your tracking, it's got toe out. you've lowered the front end right? this changes the angle of the steering arms and changes your tracking. when i lowered mine i had to drive it before i could get the tracking done and it did exactly the same as yours! my tracking was so far out, the tyres started to "feather" after about 200 miles! got tracking set to 0 degrees (straight ahead) and i get lovely 4 wheel drift round roundabouts at about 50 mph! and it sticks to the road like glue! get it checked, you'll be suprized

Daz

justinv

have a 1.6 gti and does the same it's lowered new ball joints but im not sure 'bout if its had a tow in or not, it simply drifts gently to the left, can't sort it out have to tow it in and see the results.

Sign in to follow this