• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MartinM

Road Rally Tyres For A 205 Rallye

MartinM

...but I had a GTi until yesterday! It used to have either Toyo Proxes T1-S or Bridgestone RE720 for road rallying and I got on fine with them...

...now I have an Endurance-spec 205 Rallye UK-spec (ie standard steel arches) - this one, if you really want to know! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...item=4642426640

I don't think the Colway Road Plus are the right sort of tyres for road rallies (but maybe they are?) so what are:

- the best road rally tyres (make and size) for 14x5.5" wheels

- the best road rally tyres (make and size) for 13x5.5" wheels (long story, not worth relating here, as to why I'm interested in 13" wheels also)

TIA

Martin

Rob Thomson

If you want to do Enduro there are control tyres, aren't there?

If you want to do some proper road rallying, Yoko A021Rs are very highly regarded. Great on wet and dry tarmac, and amazingly good on whites too.

For events with a greater bias towards foresty or tarmac, proper gravel tyres (Yoko 035s etc) or something like A032s might be better options respectively. But the A021 is an excellent compromise.

You can get 021s and 032s in sizes to suit both rims, but I'll let you look up the exact sizes.... Not sure about A035s.

MartinM

Long post warning....

If you want to do Enduro there are control tyres, aren't there?

There seems to be a small (aka large) minefield here!

1) For the Lombard Revival, wheel size and type are free, but must fit in standard arches. Tyre must be Colway Road plus.

2) For the Torqbar Endurance championship, only the standard (ie OEM) size wheel for the model is permitted. Any size of tyre suitable for the standard wheel may be used, but must fit within the standard arches. Permitted tyres must be as List 1A in the MSA Blue Book (lots, but not A021R!) and also remoulds (eg Colways) are permitted. Tyres must not be ‘Grip’ (gravel/forest pattern, ‘T&C’, ‘M&S’ etc)

3) For an Endurance Rally or Road Rally run according to the Blue Book, size and make of wheels and tyres are free, but must fit within unmodified wheelarch

(...and if you compete on a Endurance Rally which is part of the Torqbar, but you are not registered with Torqbar, then rule 3 applies)

So...

...if I want to do the Lombard Revival (2007, maybe), I can use what I've got

...if I want to do the Torqbar, I need to use 13x5.5" (maybe the original white steel ones with the holes?) and probably 13" Colway Road Plus

...if I want to do an endurance rally, but not as part of Torqbar, I can use what I've got

...if I want to do a road rally, I can use what I've got, but maybe the Colway Road Plus aren't the best

Phew! Bored reading yet? (!)

A021R only seem to come in 185/60R13 or 185/60R14 - I'm not sure they will fit (too wide?)

..and the road rallies in the South West are biased to tarmac, so 035 and 032 don't seem to be the best choice?

So what do I actually want to do?

2006 - Road Rallies, Endurance Rallies but not as part of Torqbar

2007 - Road Rallies, Endurance Rallies as part of Torqbar, maybe Revival

Still don't know what to do...

Edited by MartinM

Rob Thomson

Enduro looks like a load of old bollocks to me, but that's just my opinion and each to their own....

If the events you'll be doing are biased towards tarmac you probably can't go far wrong with A032s or A048s. Apparently they're both surprisingly good (for what are essentially road-legal slicks) on whites - and I can personally vouch that A032s are remarkably good on wet and muddy tarmac.

I did the Rali Bro Ddyfi (sp?) last night. Or, at least, I did five miles of the RBD before we retired with engine problems. But I did have a good look round at the start. Most crews were on forestry tyres or A021s. A couple of the top boys were on A032s or A048s. That was a pretty rough event...

Incidentally, my 106 Rallye came with a set of 14" 021s, but they were a bit big for the arches. They fouled in a couple of places, but that was possibly because the front suspension was a bit f***ed. I put 'em on eBay, but am now regretting selling them because I need some decent road rally tyres for the 'Rally of 1000 Lanes' in three weeks time. I think taking a hammer to the bodywork might have been the better option.

SPGTi
Incidentally, my 106 Rallye came with a set of 14" 021s, but they were a bit big for the arches. They fouled in a couple of places, but that was possibly because the front suspension was a bit f***ed. I put 'em on eBay, but am now regretting selling them because I need some decent road rally tyres for the 'Rally of 1000 Lanes' in three weeks time. I think taking a hammer to the bodywork might have been the better option.

Don't say that I have been after some decently priced A021s for ages. I might have to try some , dare I say, Colway Intermediates, this weekend (not buying just borrowing!)

Steve

Sign in to follow this