• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gti_al

16 Valve Xu10s

Pug_101
3 dr volcanes dont look too bad :blink:

Not quite the same league as a GTi6 in the looks department :D

I did quite some research into the xu10j4r head. (since I use it on my turbo engine)

There are a few differences.

The main thing is the camshafts. (1 or 2 mm more lift)

The valves are lighter but the same size

Double valve springs

and a few other things

From a performance point of view I would think that just putting the xu10j4rs cams in will minimize the difference between the two.

The castings are the same by the way... But stay away from the 1.8 heads.

Whats wrong with the 1.8L heads?

jackherer
same with the 306, it's both ZX and Xsara.

ZX = 306 phase 1 (hence the ZX16v being the same as a 306 S16)

Xsara = 306 phase 2 (Xsara 16V = 306 GTI6)

they just facelifted the citroen more than the peugeot and changed the name.

gti_al

Whatever it is, it is bloody ugly... It had want to go well.

This is all sounding promising anyway. I'm going to have a look at that red 306 in the next couple of days, and if it is ok i'll put a bid on it.

Compared to an Mi16 swap, how hard will the wiring be? I've done a decent search, but most end in maxi saying he will sort it out...

jackherer
Whatever it is, it is bloody ugly... It had want to go well.

the one in the pic above is a five door base model with jacked up suspension...

this is the sorted model:

499.jpeg

it may not be to everyones taste but you should at least compare like for like :D

gti_al
the one in the pic above is a five door base model with jacked up suspension...

this is the sorted model:

499.jpeg

it may not be to everyones taste but you should at least compare like for like :D

Despite still looking like a citroen, that isn't bad at all... I guess the beige one wasn't exactly doing the model justice. I think i actually saw some of those last time i was over - i didn't realise what it was called then though.

Do they have the funky hydraulics?

Guest davebxgt
Despite still looking like a citroen, that isn't bad at all... I guess the beige one wasn't exactly doing the model justice. I think i actually saw some of those last time i was over - i didn't realise what it was called then though.

Do they have the funky hydraulics?

No, basically a 306 under the skin.

Dave

Baz

So have we come to the conclusion that the XU10J4R is similar to the XU10J4RS in the bottom end, and if the GTi6 (XU10J4RS) cams and manifold were added there would not be much difference at all?? Would it then make similar power, does anyone know of any differences in the management or induction?

*Cue a rush of XU10J4R's being pilfered from the breakers!!* :D

Edited by BazGTMi

PsychoSimon

Does anyone have specs for the valve sizes and cam duration/lift compared to a 1.9mi16 head?

Baz
You mean XU10J4RS!

:D yep i do!! Thanks Kris, now rectified!! :blush:

gti_al

Have i stumbled across a good idea here...? PeterT mentioned on aussiefrogs that the xu10j4r cams can be ground to the same or "bigger" than gti6 ones, which is good as it will save me having to find some from a 6.

It will be interesting to see how this goes. The prospect of a 2000 model engine is much better than my 260000+ km 87 one, regardless of how much harder it goes...

gti_al
So have we come to the conclusion that the XU10J4R is similar to the XU10J4RS in the bottom end, and if the GTi6 (XU10J4RS) cams and manifold were added there would not be much difference at all?? Would it then make similar power, does anyone know of any differences in the management or induction?

*Cue a rush of XU10J4R's being pilfered from the breakers!!* :)

Bit of a dig... but i've suddenly become interested again as it looks like i've bought one of these. Anyone know whether the above is vaguely true?

david932

i would say the management will almost certainly be different as it's powering a different spec with diffenent cam durations and i would imagine different ignition advance, but what about a custom remap?

gti_al

This is a trully bastard twist of fate... as soon as i am offered a cheap, very low km (50 000) engine i can't register it! Back to the 300 000kms mi16 then.

Mattsav

The cam specs I have are:

RFV: 196°@1mm / 7.90mm Lift

RFS: 215°@1mm / 10.00mm Lift

You can see why the Gti-6 makes a bit more power!!

petert

Very similar to a D6C, 214 deg. @ 0.050", 9.2mm.

gti_al
Very similar to a D6C, 214 deg. @ 0.050", 9.2mm.

Just found a post on aussiefrogs from someone who used gti6 cams in a Xsi... apparently with good results.

This engine was such a bargain... $800 for a 50k kms old complete engine, loom and ECU! Still, i've found a 1.9 Mi16 still on the road for $1000. That will do... even with 300+ k kms.

I hope you are still good for that offer of a plug and play loom peter! I start to feel sick when i think of wiring...

Sign in to follow this