• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gti_al

16 Valve Xu10s

gti_al

Can anyone tell what is required to upgrade a 406/xantia 16 valve to something close to the gti6 power? I am looking for something nice and driveable for my 205, to replace its fairly tired standard engine, and i love the gti6 characteristics. Unfortunately they aren't exactly common in wreckers here, and if they do appear i would imagine they would be extremely expensive.

I did a search, and found one thread started by inferno which wasn't overly conclusive, but the rest of the topics seem really vague or just based on the 2.0 turbo.

I'm still trying to work out which engine would be best for my needs - basically it just needs to be nice and solid for everyday, but not likely to blow up on the occasional trackday. I would like an Mi16, although the idea of a bit more grunt down low, and something newer is attractive.

Would starting off with a 16 valve Xu10 be a decent idea?

mbayley77

I picked up my 306 gti 6 engine complete with all ancilaries / loom / unlocked ecu etc for 500 quid. That was a fully rebuilt engine engine as well.

I bet an engine and everything else you need from a scrapper would come to more than that whatever car you looked at.

Have a hunt on ebay for the best bargains but be careful what you buy. Best to see it running if possible.

gti_al

Thanks mate, but the issue is complicated by my location. We only got a few hundred gti6s (maybe less) so they aren't very common.

One of my mates has one though, and it is a fantastic car. I reckon the engine would be insane in a 205, but i don't like my chances of finding one. We did get plenty of cars with the 2L 16 valve engine though, so if something similar could be cooked up i would be happy.

rich_w

If it is the 2L 16v and not the 1.8 16V then search for S16, as thats what the engines are refered to as in this country(uk).

Bascially a cast iron bottom end casting with a MI16 head on top.

Lots and lots of info :lol:

Edited by rich_w

Man3

I'm not sure about the head casting itself, but i know the manifolds and cams are definately different on the XU10J4 RS (GTI-6). Might be worth looking through the parts CD if you have access to one, Its on the net somewhere i think but i don't have the link.

gti_al
If it is the 2L 16v and not the 1.8 16V then search for S16, as thats what the engines are refered to as in this country(uk).

Bascially a cast iron bottom end casting with a MI16 head on top.

Lots and lots of info :lol:

We got S16s - the one i'm looking at came after that, and i believe is similar to the gti6 engine. It came in the 406/306/xantia etc... They look basically the same as the xu10j4rs, but for some reason produce less power.

I think i'm going to have to go through the parts cd and work it out.

Malachy
We got S16s - the one i'm looking at came after that, and i believe is similar to the gti6 engine. It came in the 406/306/xantia etc... They look basically the same as the xu10j4rs, but for some reason produce less power.

I think i'm going to have to go through the parts cd and work it out.

your talking about the xu10j4r engine as found in 306 xsi's post 1996,also found in xantias and 406's.

the main difference with thisengine to the gti6 are the cams and head, however gti6 cams will go into the head. and ofc the gti6 has an awesome exhust manifold that is worth slapping on too.

the s16 is just an iron block mi16 engine, kinda inbetween the 2.0l16v and the gti6, it produces 150bhp instock form.

gti_al

That is exactly what i was after mate. Thanks for that...

I reckon this is worth trying out. I should be able to get one of these engines a bit cheaper than either a 1.9 or 2l Mi16, and hopefully they won't have been thrashed as much. I should be able to get away without a full rebuild, and the potential for relatively easy power is good.

Malachy
That is exactly what i was after mate. Thanks for that...

I reckon this is worth trying out. I should be able to get one of these engines a bit cheaper than either a 1.9 or 2l Mi16, and hopefully they won't have been thrashed as much. I should be able to get away without a full rebuild, and the potential for relatively easy power is good.

yes it is often quite silly , these engines are worthless and cost next to nothing (can be picked up for £50) yet someone will pay £500 + for an mi16 or gti6, ifyou get an early one the bottom end is EXACTLY the same as a gti6 (incudes spray bars)

Edited by Malachy

gti_al

I can't find my parts cd to compare them, but how do the early and later ones differ? (You say that the early ones are identical to the gti6)

And what are the basic differences between the this and the gti6 head? Would fitting the manifolds and cams from a gti6 be worthwhile, or would you need the head to make them work properly?

Malachy
I can't find my parts cd to compare them, but how do the early and later ones differ? (You say that the early ones are identical to the gti6)

And what are the basic differences between the this and the gti6 head? Would fitting the manifolds and cams from a gti6 be worthwhile, or would you need the head to make them work properly?

the gti6 has a spray bar in the botomn end, the earlier xu10j4r engine has this aswell, this is the only real internal differance. idont know the valve sies of the top of my head, but you might be better of just using an mi16/gti6head.

gti_al
the gti6 has a spray bar in the botomn end, the earlier xu10j4r engine has this aswell, this is the only real internal differance. idont know the valve sies of the top of my head, but you might be better of just using an mi16/gti6head.

So it is all fairly similar...

I will look into the valve sizes, as it would be good if i could get away with keeping the standard head. Then i could just upgrade things as i found them/could afford them... being a student makes big projects drag out quite a bit.

Thanks for your help though mate.

rich_w

xu10j4r makes 133bhp? Is the head very different from the mi16/s16 head?

KRISKARRERA

How about the Xsara VTS, have you got those over there?

gti_al
How about the Xsara VTS, have you got those over there?

We do have them, but they aren't very common either... I'll be keeping an eye out for one, but at present there are a few 306xsis going through the auctions, so that would be easier.

gti_al

This one should go pretty cheap, although it doesn't look flash... There is a fair bit of room at the front of the 306 bay isn't there?

Item.jpg

Edited by gti_al

Malachy
This one should go pretty cheap, although it doesn't look flash... There is a fair bit of room at the front of the 306 bay isn't there?

Item.jpg

is a fair bit of room yes and the impact looks like it is on the gearbox side anyway there iseven more room there:)

inferno

get a turbo!i pulled away from a gti6 when i had my 6 speed turbo zx! IMO thre very drivable and easyly tuneable!

but why not go for a v8 conversion? as i said before if i was over there id be driving a v8!

gti_al

WTF is a ZX? And i suspect a V8 205 would be missing the point slightly... The only V8 i'm likely to own soon is an XJR, and that is unlikely.

Pug_101
WTF is a ZX? And i suspect a V8 205 would be missing the point slightly... The only V8 i'm likely to own soon is an XJR, and that is unlikely.

It's a dodgy predecessor from Citroen of the Peugeot 306.

product-78541.jpg

Good engines though.

Cheers

Malachy
It's a dodgy predecessor from Citroen of the Peugeot 306.

product-78541.jpg

Good engines though.

Cheers

the dodget predecessor thaat uses exactly the same chasis/suspension/engines/brakes as the 306 right?

Pug_101
the dodget predecessor thaat uses exactly the same chasis/suspension/engines/brakes as the 306 right?

Just look at it

They got the underneath right first go fair enough,

but the body :D:P:blink:

Malachy
Just look at it

They got the underneath right first go fair enough,

but the body :D:P:blink:

3 dr volcanes dont look too bad :P

KRISKARRERA

Always seems to be an overlap with the PSA models, e.g BX is supposedly 405's sister yet the 405 is also Xantia era and the same with the 306, it's both ZX and Xsara.

205_19_T

I did quite some research into the xu10j4r head. (since I use it on my turbo engine)

There are a few differences.

The main thing is the camshafts. (1 or 2 mm more lift)

The valves are lighter but the same size

Double valve springs

and a few other things

From a performance point of view I would think that just putting the xu10j4rs cams in will minimize the difference between the two.

The castings are the same by the way... But stay away from the 1.8 heads.

Sign in to follow this