• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
EnglishRob

1.9 Gearbox On A 1.6 Engine

EnglishRob

Hi folks,

I've managed to get hold of another engine for my 205 (thanks Steve@Cornwall). The replacement engine is only a 1.6. Now I have a 1.9 BE1 gearbox in my 205 at the moment (and a 1.6 BE3 in the garage but I don't know if it still works or not).

I was wondering if anyone knows what the car is likely to run like with a 1.6 engine and 1.9 gearbox?

If all else fails, is it possible to get the bits to convert from a BE1 to BE3 gearbox so I can try the 1.6 gearbox?

Rob

Richie-Van-GTi

the 1.9 box will drive fine, it wont accelerate quite as quickly but for motorway cruising etc you will get better MPG. If you want to put the be3 in then you need linkages and clucth pedal and cable. If itwas me and I had the time Id putthe be3 in as the clutch mechanism is much better.

ALEX

1.9's have a Looooong first gear.

the longest first geared car I've ever driven.

Anthony

Probably feel flat as a pancake on a 1.9 'box tbh...

EnglishRob
the 1.9 box will drive fine, it wont accelerate quite as quickly but for motorway cruising etc you will get better MPG. If you want to put the be3 in then you need linkages and clucth pedal and cable. If itwas me and I had the time Id putthe be3 in as the clutch mechanism is much better.

I like the idea of an increased MPG, but I think maybe in the long run I should try and get what I need to fit the BE3 or look for a BE1 box.

I'm eager to get my 205 back on the road.

Rob

pug_ham

In real world situation you might not get better mpg as when on the motorway it'll have to pull harder at a lower rpm when you hit a hill.

It'll be slower in every gear.

Even if it does it will be very negliable imo. I wouldn't fit one.

Graham.

shepherdfte

I would be happy with a 1.9 box on my 1.6 as a road car. As a rally car box the 1.6 is great, but it woefully undergeared on the motorway etc. 4000rpm at 70-80 is crazy for an 8v engine. She'd happily pull 3000 or less, which would be much more relaxed and more economical. A 1.9 box would be a great mod if I was building a pure road car 205 (imho). Afterall, you can always shift down if you need the acceleration. And a tall first gear is not exactly a bad thing - it's so low in the 1.6 that it's hard to manage the throttle carefully enough (well, for people who arn't used to the car).

I'd fit the 1.9 box if it were me.

Andy

Sign in to follow this