• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest TSL 333

Changing Front Brake Pads

Guest TSL 333

Removed the old pads at the weekend (1.6 - Benedix)

New Greenstuffs have arrived and so time to fit. Does the piston go back in easily. My mole grips do not seem to fit easily around the caliper to do this.

Any advice?

boombang

G clamp.

crogthomas

I have used a miniture vice before with some sucess.

Same as the G clamp idea really.

mfield

Put the old pads back in and use a pry bar to push on the pad.

Ren

I use a flat file over the piston and then a g-clamp over it.

Rippthrough

I just put one side of the pad in then pull the caliper against the disc.

Fuqa

i use a BIG pair of grips!

Edp

A standard set of grips normally does the trick for me. Just grip it to the edge of the piston and the edge of the caliper. It should slide back in fine.

Guest Aggs

Difficult to explain, but insert screwdriver into a slight indentation on steel in front of rubber that needs pushing back,

screw down at same time as inserting pressure on to caliper to close it with 2nd screw driver.

As explained in Haynes Manual,tricky but very easy, Took me a couple of minutes once fully sussed, I m not a mechanic, took me a while to realise needed hand brake off to change rear pads!!!

Could not get them out!!

So easy to do

Guest CB-Dave

arrrgh it's BENDIX not BENEDIX!!! they're not some type of monk!

Rom

As said, a big set of grips (aka waterpump pliers). Some sort of lever to push it back.

If ur really struggling, its a bit messy, and more time consuming. But crack the bleed nipple,this will make it a lot easier, as there will be somewhere for the fluid/pressure to go. Ofc, ull need to bleed after, but only takes a sec.

If u still cant budge it, maybe its a little corroded/siezed. In which case ull have to remove the piston, clean any corrosion,and reinsert if its not fooked.

There is no need to screw a front piston in. The rears need winding in, but fronts just push.

Guest TSL 333
arrrgh it's BENDIX not BENEDIX!!! they're not some type of monk!

OK Buckie boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Aggs

trust me to give wrong advice,thought the fronts would be the same.!!

Guest TSL 333

Used a long sharp instrument whilst the inner pad was still in today which worked very well - on one side!!!

The other is totally seized - how easy is it to sort? What are the procedures?

Rippthrough
Used a long sharp instrument whilst the inner pad was still in today which worked very well - on one side!!!

The other is totally seized - how easy is it to sort? What are the procedures?

Piston siezed or the sliders? If it's the piston, check for dirt under the dust seal, they tend not to seal all that well. Brake cleaner + toothbrush.

Rom

If the piston is siezed,try pulling back the seal, and squirtting some wd round. This might loosen it up. But probably not. In which case ull most likely need to strip ti down. This isnt that hard, getting it back in the seal is normally toughest.

If it absolutely wont push in, it likely corroded which is stopping it. If u tried lossening the nipple, and still wont budge, clamp of the other lines. Then pump the peddle till the piston pops out.

It will hopefully be corrded quite a bit. Sand all this off, making it as smooth as u can. Then u need to ease the piston back into the caliper, being careful not to break the seal. This is normally a bit tricky,but take ur time and ull be fine.

If its the sliders. Its pretty much the same principle,Be careful not to snap the sliders by twisting them etc whilst removing. Ive dont before, though not on a 205 B)

Plenty of patience and lube are ur friends here.....

Good luck

Rippthrough
If the piston is siezed,try pulling back the seal, and squirtting some wd round. This might loosen it up. But probably not. In which case ull most likely need to strip ti down. This isnt that hard, getting it back in the seal is normally toughest.

If it absolutely wont push in, it likely corroded which is stopping it. If u tried lossening the nipple, and still wont budge, clamp of the other lines. Then pump the peddle till the piston pops out.

It will hopefully be corrded quite a bit. Sand all this off, making it as smooth as u can. Then u need to ease the piston back into the caliper, being careful not to break the seal. This is normally a bit tricky,but take ur time and ull be fine.

If its the sliders. Its pretty much the same principle,Be careful not to snap the sliders by twisting them etc whilst removing. Ive dont before, though not on a 205 B)

Plenty of patience and lube are ur friends here.....

Good luck

Don't use WD40! It kills the rubber seals! I would sand the outside of the piston either! Buy a new one, £10-ish, if the outside is rusted. Chances are it'll just be dirty though.

Edited by Rippthrough

Pug_101

Get your self one of these to wind the piston in:

VS024.jpg

Can get for £20 or less if you search/ebay

Cheers

Rippthrough
Get your self one of these to wind the piston in:

VS024.jpg

Can get for £20 or less if you search/ebay

Cheers

Wouldn't work on the bendix brakes.

Guest CB-Dave
OK Buckie boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

buckie boy??? I'm no chav thanks very much (presuming buckie is a reference to that archetypal jock chav drink buckfast?)

Guest TSL 333
buckie boy??? I'm no chav thanks very much (presuming buckie is a reference to that archetypal jock chav drink buckfast?)

Didn't suggest that you were a chav; I just made a little lighthearted poke at your criticism of my spelling of Bendix/ Benedix making reference to Buckfast.

You have automatically assumed that I have inferred you are a chav. The fact that you know about monks etc suggests to me that you know about Buckfast than you let on. Notwithstanding, Buckfast is from England and not Scotland. I do admit that real chavs from Scotland do drink it though!!!!!!!

Anyway, this is not Scoobynet - we are not here for an argument!!! Thanks for your reply.

It is the piston that has seized. The sliders appear to be operating satisfactorily. I dropped the caliper off at the garage this morning - it is the mechanics problem now!!!

Cheers anyway guys!

Guest CB-Dave
Didn't suggest that you were a chav; I just made a little lighthearted poke at your criticism of my spelling of Bendix/ Benedix making reference to Buckfast.

You have automatically assumed that I have inferred you are a chav. The fact that you know about monks etc suggests to me that you know about Buckfast than you let on. Notwithstanding, Buckfast is from England and not Scotland. I do admit that real chavs from Scotland do drink it though!!!!!!!

Anyway, this is not Scoobynet - we are not here for an argument!!! Thanks for your reply.

It is the piston that has seized. The sliders appear to be operating satisfactorily. I dropped the caliper off at the garage this morning - it is the mechanics problem now!!!

Cheers anyway guys!

Lmao - that has to be the longest winded description of bendix to buckfast I've ever encountered. FYI I wasn't aware that it was Benedictine monks that made buckfast but that's another thing...

I'm quite possibly the furthest other way from a chav you could get, in that I actually have an education and don't have a criminal record, but as you admit - chavs drink buckfast, ergo "buckie boy" can reasonably be inferred as being "you're a chav".

If anything, it's the reaction that garnered the reply - a simple "oh right" or similar light-hearted reply would have sufficed, however a direct retort such as the one previously was obviously troll in nature, and the continual retaliation such as the above further solidifies that fact.

I think my point has been proven succinctly here :D

Hugs!

(edited due to the nature of a dyslexic keyboard)

Edited by CB-Dave

Guest TSL 333
Lmao - that has to be the longest winded description of bendix to buckfast I've ever encountered. FYI I wasn't aware that it was Benedictine monks that made buckfast but that's another thing...

I'm quite possibly the furthest other way from a chav you could get, in that I actually have an education and don't have a criminal record, but as you admit - chavs drink buckfast, ergo "buckie boy" can reasonably be inferred as being "you're a chav".

If anything, it's the reaction that garnered the reply - a simple "oh right" or similar light-hearted reply would have sufficed, however a direct retort such as the one previously was obviously troll in nature, and the continual retaliation such as the above further solidifies that fact.

I think my point has been proven succinctly here :blink:

Hugs!

(edited due to the nature of a dyslexic keyboard)

Hugs back to you to!!

Edited by TSL 333

Sign in to follow this