• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
rutlandguy

Group N Or Group A Engine Mounts?

rutlandguy

I've read the review thread on the BakerBM Group N engine mounts. Which contain a Group A lower engine mount. After reading the thread I'm concerned that this will be too hard.

I'm new to the 205 1.9 GTI and I'm used to current technology with regards to on and off throttle transmission shunt. Its obvious from the threads on the forum that kangarooing is an undocumented feature of the 205. However my aim is to minimise the transmission shunt as much as possible with out noticeably increasing the amount of vibration transmitted into the cabin. In light of the above would I be better going for the Peugeot sport engine mount kit instead of the BakerBM one?

The above vehicle has covered 138,000 miles and I don't think the engine mounts have been changed since the car was originally manufactured in 1989. One things for sure the lower mount isn't solid rubber but has a rubber and air spaced core.

I should be interested in the thoughts and findings of those who have fitted either new standard or Peugeot sport Grp N or BakerBM Engine mounts.

Also if anyone is local to me and has new standard or Peugeot sport or BakerBM Engine mounts and would be prepared to let me have a short drive of their GTI I'd be most grateful.

Cheers

Phil

Richie-Van-GTi

no where near you but a good compromise without too much vibration is a group N lower with TD top and box mounts.

r.u.sure

I've got Group N lower, g/box and o/s upper apart from the pyramid buffers which are std and find that o.k.

I found the group N buffers gave far to much cabin vibration

Sorry also nowhere near you either.

Edited by r.u.sure

stew205

Hi Phil,

My lower bush is slightly firmer than the pugsport GrpN one (and will out last it). It needs to be renamed GrpN on the website as it's still a rubber based bush and obviously not solid aluminium as the bushes I have seen on eBay.

My top mount and gearbox box mount are a similar stiffness to the pugsport items.

Using any up-rated mounts you will notice an increase in vibration (mainly at idle) over standard mounts. I like to thing of it as a good indicator of loose screws holding the dash together: lol:

Having a drive of a road car fitted with them would be best, as you suggested. Just depends if anybody will let you! :wacko: I can offer to take you out in mine but its not a good comparison to a road going version.

Thanks

Stew

Edited by stew205

stew205

Richie-Van-GTi, r.u.sure

Which lower bush are you guys running? I am sure I have sold you both parts but can't check at the moment! :D:wacko:

Veero

I put the whole Baker Kit for the Mi in and yes it does increase cabin vibration on idle and I am gradually going round tightening or supergluing all the losse screws and rattles it produces.

I couldn't compare it to the Pugsport or TD bushes directly but I have to say it's a vast improvement over the standard 90k mile items. I remember blipping the throttle wioth the bonnet up with the 1.6 and being worried how much the engine moved just doing that, with the bushes in now its much better, albeit with perhaps a little more vibration on idle than I would like. But at the end of the day its hardly a car designed with comfort oppulence in mind so Im not bothered TBH.

:wacko:

Veero

Dino

Just replace all the mounts with standard ones and use some spacers where the buffers are to minimise engine movement.

There is no point going for GrpN ones for a standard engine.

hengti

my personal opinion is the same as Dino's - that these mounts are a little too much for road use (i use mine for the track day season and switch to std out of season)

they do vibrate quite a bit more than std, but you sort of get used to it. if you fit the harder buffers and shim them up to the mount, the vibration is intolerable imo (i run std buffers)

and ... they won't reduce kangerooing - if anything, they make it worse as the shunt is transmitted to the shell through much stiffer engine mounts

Richie-Van-GTi

Stew I bought mine through Ebay. I took ages to pay for it due to a few niggles with paypal. Was that you? I cant get into ebay account right now to check username I bought from but mine is peugeotenginebreaker if it was you?

pug_ham

An uprated lower mount helps slow the problem of exhaust manifold cracks btw.

Graham.

ak 205

hi rutland guy i am local (stamford) but the mi205 is not up & runnin at the mo or i would of been more than welcome 2 try it out or least have a passenger ride 2 see if u notice anything.

must say im very happy with the baker bush kits as ive also got the rear kit.

tom_m
Just replace all the mounts with standard ones and use some spacers where the buffers are to minimise engine movement.

There is no point going for GrpN ones for a standard engine.

my personal opinion is the same as Dino's - that these mounts are a little too much for road use (i use mine for the track day season and switch to std out of season)

and ... they won't reduce kangerooing - if anything, they make it worse as the shunt is transmitted to the shell through much stiffer engine mounts

i disagree, grp n mounts on a standard car are an excelent upgrade, they connect you more to the car, the front end feels so much more positive, dino's magical throttle response is improved by them and properly shimmed they do reduce kangarooing

yes they do increase vibrations transmitted to the cabin, but it does reduce as the mounts bed in, you get used to it - or you can use veero's superglue method :D

Edited by tom_m

hengti

transmission shunt is transmission shunt - which is damped to some degree by the engine/g'box mounts. stiffer mounts = less damping = more discomfort

that's my take on it anyway

to be fair, the mount that makes the most difference is the top one. you'd probably not suffer as much by fitting 'just' the lower mount and the gearbox mount.

i agree that they're an excellent modification - turn in is improved and the gear change is much sweeter - but there are downsides (primarily the vibration obviously)

Sign in to follow this