• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
rutlandguy

95 Or 98 Ron Unleaded For The 1.9 Gti Non Cat Version.

rutlandguy

The Haynes manual I have tells me that the engine I have fitted to my 205 is not suitable for running on 95RON unleaded fuel however some of the post that I have read on here suggest this is not true. Please could someone advise if I would do any damage to the vehicle by running it on 95RON unleaded? I appreciate that the ignition will need to be retarded a little to avoid pinking with the lower RON fuel but can't think of any other reason why?

Hoping on of the very helpful guys on here will respond.

Cheers

Phil

Alastairh

Yeah, as you say if you retard the timing correctly it should run fine.

I occasionally run mine on Optimax, and makes a big difference. Where as it runs poo on tescos 99.

Alastair

rutlandguy
Yeah, as you say if you retard the timing correctly it should run fine.

I occasionally run mine on Optimax, and makes a big difference. Where as it runs poo on tescos 99.

Alastair

I've got a 1/4 tank of 95RON (Shell) unleaded to go and as I'm on a 250mile business trip tomorrow I'll see how she runs on Optimax. I'm hoping the difference isn't going to be noticable as the 95RON is soooo much cheaper! :)

Cheers

Phil

pug_ham

Search for a post by Ahl as he did a back to back comparison of running a 1.9 GTi on both UL & Optimax a while ago (optimax worked out cheaper in the long run).

It might run fine but you'll be loosing a chunk of power & torque along with mpg.

You should be able to find SUL (97ron) for a few pence more than normal UL at Supermarket petrol stations. I run mine on Sainsbury's SUL & last fillup it was 1p a litre more than UL.

Graham.

rutlandguy
You should be able to find SUL (97ron) for a few pence more than normal UL at Supermarket petrol stations. I run mine on Sainsbury's SUL & last fillup it was 1p a litre more than UL.

Got to the garage I normally use this morning (Always cheap for Shell Unleaded) and unleaded was 91.9 and the SUL 97.9 so I filled up with unleaded again! The Sainsbury's forecourt is near to the Shell garage and is forced to compete so I'll see what there prices are like for SUL on the way home.

Phil

Rob_the_Sparky

You can't just fill up with Super if the engine is tuned for 95 and vica versa. To get the benefit of running better fuel you need to tune the engine to suit. There is little point in putting in the "odd tank" of SUPER.

rutlandguy
Search for a post by Ahl as he did a back to back comparison of running a 1.9 GTi on both UL & Optimax a while ago (optimax worked out cheaper in the long run).

Just for thread completeness I've found the Ahl post click here

In light of this I will be advancing the ignition and running a few tanks of Optimax through the engine at some point in the future, once I have established what sort of MPG I'm getting on UL.

Thanks for everyone help and advice thus far

Phil

fulani

I find the Tesco's 99 RON works really well actually.

number2301

Aye Tesco 99RON works fine on mine which also runs fine on 97 Ultimate/ SUL or 98 Optimax. Doesn't like 95 RON at all!

fulani

I find Optimax makes it run nicer, cleans out the gunk (loads of black smoke when I first gun it with Optimax in!), but isn't as nippy as the 99. Maybe it's all psychological?

Sign in to follow this