• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
driversdomainuk

309gti Front Arb

driversdomainuk

Hi

I have been talking to AB Motorsport about fitting a 24mm rear ARB to my 205GTI - quotes £190 which appears ok. However, I have been told that fitting a 21mm 309GTI front ARB will complete this set-up.

As I am running non-coil over Konis - I was previously concerned that this would have meant I would not be able to easily sort the front end to match the rear end, should I go for the reat 24mm ARB. (i.e rear end too stiff for front end)

However, they think just by fitting the 309 front ARB will be fine, should I want to stiffen up the back with a 24mm ARB - from what I read anyway.

Has anyone done this setup, with any good results and will the 309GTI front ARB fit the 205 without any big mods..??

thanks,

Butler

Fit the 24mm rear ARB and see what its like. If oversteer is an issue or body roll then install the 309 front ARB.

You'll need 309 front arb brackets and bushes.

Some say 309 front ARB on its own promotes understeer, which would make sense.

If your running a caged car then controlling body roll from the rear is a good move.

driversdomainuk
Fit the 24mm rear ARB and see what its like. If oversteer is an issue or body roll then install the 309 front ARB.

You'll need 309 front arb brackets and bushes.

Some say 309 front ARB on its own promotes understeer, which would make sense.

If your running a caged car then controlling body roll from the rear is a good move.

Thanks for that reply. The car has a 10 point welded roll cage alone, with a very fat front strut brace - wonder if that would help stiffen up the front enough without the 309 ARB...???

Butler

The roll stiffness from the rear will control the front also with a stiff shell like yours.

So basically fit the rear 24mm ARB and maybe fit the front one if require later on.

driversdomainuk
The roll stiffness from the rear will control the front also with a stiff shell like yours.

So basically fit the rear 24mm ARB and maybe fit the front one if require later on.

As I am using it for competition use - should I go for a thicker one (i.e 26mm)..?

Butler

Don't know if you can go really stiff on an ARB without uprating the spring rate to match, or torsion bar thickness in this case.

mi16nut

I've got a 24mm ARB on a 309 beam. I've got a 309 front ARB in the garage, but not considered it to be needed, so kept the 205 one on.

I would say that 24mm, possibly 25mm, would be the limit for standard torsion bars. 21mm or 23mm torsions with a 25mm ARB would probably be a decent tarmac rally setup?

Mark.

Miles

We've just made and run with good sucess a 25mm front ARB mated to the Wishbones like the 405 has, This has helped the tyre temps no end. We used this with a 23mm rear but are trying a 29mm rear one this weekend. But so far all our theory's have been right in this thinking over the old way of thin front and thick rear

Sign in to follow this