• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ruskyruss

205 Turbo Help No Gears!?!

Ruskyruss

Please somebody help me after spending hours and hours completing my 205 2.0 turbo I now find I have no gears!? It feels like the gears engage ok and in the right place from the gear lever but when you lift the clutch pedal you just hear a grinding noise like the gears are not engaging properly and very very little movement from the car! Have tried changing the short gear linkage for an even shorter one but this seems to make the problem worse (less grinding noise and no movement!). The gearbox I have on the engine is from a 405 sri and I had to change the gear selector arm that was on the gearbox for a 205 item as the 405 one was kinda s shaped where as the 205 one is flat, is this the problem does anyone know? Should I try a longer linkage? Or is it really gearbox off time again, I prey not!

Please Please someone tell me its a simple prob and you know how to fix it as im rapidly losing my marbles ( and the will to live lol! )

Have been told that the clutch may have cold welded itself to the flywheel, but if this is the case I dont understand the grinding or why it only moves slightly when put into gear?

H E L P ! :angry:

Fuqa

i know with the 2.0 conversion the gear rods are a bit of a pain. i had to bend mine and also bend the fork on the subframe to clear the manifold

i would pop off the gear rods and manually engage the box and then blip it on the key to see if its in gear

Please somebody help me after spending hours and hours completing my 205 2.0 turbo I now find I have no gears!? It feels like the gears engage ok and in the right place from the gear lever but when you lift the clutch pedal you just hear a grinding noise like the gears are not engaging properly and very very little movement from the car! Have tried changing the short gear linkage for an even shorter one but this seems to make the problem worse (less grinding noise and no movement!). The gearbox I have on the engine is from a 405 sri and I had to change the gear selector arm that was on the gearbox for a 205 item as the 405 one was kinda s shaped where as the 205 one is flat, is this the problem does anyone know? Should I try a longer linkage? Or is it really gearbox off time again, I prey not!

Please Please someone tell me its a simple prob and you know how to fix it as im rapidly losing my marbles ( and the will to live lol! )

Have been told that the clutch may have cold welded itself to the flywheel, but if this is the case I dont understand the grinding or why it only moves slightly when put into gear?

H E L P ! :angry:

Pete C

If the clutch had welded itself to the flywheel you wouldn't be able to 'engage' gear and there would be no difference between the pedal being pressed or not, so it must be linkage related... or box internals, but not likely; fingers crossed!

sonofsam

What clutch and flywheel are you using?

Richie-Van-GTi

are the shafts fully located? If one shaft is slightly out you get the same symptons.

Ruskyruss

I hadnt thought of that, shall have to check the shafts later on, they were in and out a few times during the conversion!!

Im using the 1.9 mi16 clutch and flywheel, and luckily enough I managed to get hold of a turbo technics manifold and hybrid spec rebuilt tt t25 so dont think its a problem with space, hopefully its the linkages or driveshafts, the box used to be fine on the sri, I will have a fiddle either later or tommorrow and report back to you all.

Cheers, thats a few more ideas than I had lol!

Fuqa
I hadnt thought of that, shall have to check the shafts later on, they were in and out a few times during the conversion!!

Im using the 1.9 mi16 clutch and flywheel, and luckily enough I managed to get hold of a turbo technics manifold and hybrid spec rebuilt tt t25 so dont think its a problem with space, hopefully its the linkages or driveshafts, the box used to be fine on the sri, I will have a fiddle either later or tommorrow and report back to you all.

Cheers, thats a few more ideas than I had lol!

just a thought...

you have changed the rear engine mount bracket for a gti one. the turbo bracket looks the same but wont allow the driveshaft to go into the gear box

Sign in to follow this