• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Alan_M

Rebuilding Wilwood 4 Pot Calipers

Alan_M

After snapping the brake nipple insert clean off inside the caliper, I've decided to rebuild my 4 pots before the 205 is released back onto the roads, in July hopefully.

Got a little list together for the bits, new nipples/inserts, piston seals and maybe new pistons?

Not sure on the last one as the current pistons look fine to me, with little rust on them.

Anybody got any tips on how to change seals on these, or a link to a guide?

Thanks

M3Evo

Think they're pretty simple as calipers go, remove the pistons somehow (I'm surprised they're rusty as they should be stainless!)

Then remove the old seals using something like a pencil so you don't scratch the bores.

Give 'em a good clean with something that isn't gonna bugger up the new seals, then bung them back together.

Rippthrough

You can get brake assembly lube to use on the new seals so you don't tear them when you put them back in, which helps things considerably.

Easiest way to get them out id to rig up an airline (or even a footpump) to the brake hose, put a block of wood in the caliper to stop the pistons coming all the way out (because some of them will come out before the others).

Cowboy method is to leave the calipers to dry out to remove as much brake fluid as possible, then spray some lighter fluid inside and light it (with the wooden blcok in between the pistons still).

Gets the pistons out but can be a bit hairy.

Edited by Rippthrough

Sign in to follow this