• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Simon B

Mi16 Baffled Sumps Again!

Simon B

Ok, I have read and re-read a LOT of threads on here about baffled sumps and there seems not to be a definitive answer as to how to cure the oil starvation that some of us suffer on track!

All i would like to ask in this thread is :

Where can i buy a decent baffled sump that 'may' help, that I can buy this week?

I've got 2 track days coming up at Castle Combe, and having done a session there recently and seen my oil pressure gauge dropping on a few corners, I'd like to try and get a sump fitted before the next time i go!

So, who makes them / where to buy from / prices?

i NEEEED to do something, as i dont want to come off track with a knackered engine if i can avoid it :angry:

petert

:angry:-->

QUOTE(Nigel B @ Jun 5 2006, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where can i buy a decent baffled sump that 'may' help, that I can buy this week?

Almost all XU10 engines. I'm not sure of any that don't have them.

Simon B

Any idea if its silly money new from Peugeot?

Is it just the sump i need or any additional parts required/ suggested?

Thanks a lot for your reply, its much appreciated :angry:

Bonzai

if you are running the ally block then you need to get an oil pump spacer to extend the pickup as the xu10 sump is the depth of an xu9 sump and the strengthener plate.

ive just ordered 2 from petert myself. your only other option is to risk running without the strengthener, atleast until you can get an oil pump extension

Miles

Don;t bother with the XU10 sump trap door as it doesn't really do any, Yes it helps a little, You really need extra drainage from the head into the sump, If you take the GTi6 engine this has larger returns over the alloy engine and doesn;t suffer as bad.

If you do need one thou I think I have one in the shed

Simon B
Don;t bother with the XU10 sump trap door as it doesn't really do any, Yes it helps a little

Ok, so dont bother with the XU10 sump? whats the easiest / quickest solution that WILL help (that doesnt involve a dry dump setup)?

I just want something / anything that will improve the situation, as it appears to fully cure it is unlikely!!

petert

:)-->

QUOTE(Nigel B @ Jun 6 2006, 10:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, so dont bother with the XU10 sump?

These sump threads are like a game of ping-pong.

Simon B

You're not wrong there!!! :wacko: LOL

So whats the best solution then? Aside from dry sumping, who has fitted what, that can say that in their opinion it has improved things? :D

Miles

We're trying a couple of things at the moment, but until we know it works I can;t say anything which I know is anoying but I don;t release things with testing for a few Race meetings

petert

:wacko:-->

QUOTE(Nigel B @ Jun 7 2006, 07:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So whats the best solution then? Aside from dry sumping, who has fitted what, that can say that in their opinion it has improved things? :D

XU10 sump, normal spacer plate, extended pickup, 6.5L of oil.

Simon B

Ok cool!! Will try and research whats involved with this!

No doubt i shall return with more questions :D

Bonzai

i've done a fair bit of asking myself. read these threads:

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=54987

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=42746

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=59087

I have chosen to take peters advice and plan on running an xu10 with the spacer and oil pump pickup mod simply because i cant afford an accusump setup for what will primarily be a road car

Simon B

Ok... next question!

How do i tell what sump i have on the car at the moment? Its a 1.9 mi 16 AFAIK but the sump is not an alloy finned version.........

Its smooth.... whats the score with that? Just a different type of sump?

How do i tell what sump it is without removing it LOL.?

Ahl

B)-->

QUOTE(Nigel B @ Jun 18 2006, 11:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok... next question!

How do i tell what sump i have on the car at the moment? Its a 1.9 mi 16 AFAIK but the sump is not an alloy finned version.........

Its smooth.... whats the score with that? Just a different type of sump?

How do i tell what sump it is without removing it LOL.?

If its smooth, magnetic, rusty then you have a steel sump. ;) It sounds like you do.

Simon B

Havent checked to see if its magnetic, but the rest of the description pretty much fits B) haha...

Ah well, that answers that question then! Thanks mate ;)

Jonmurgie

:)-->

QUOTE(Nigel B @ Jun 5 2006, 11:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, I have read and re-read a LOT of threads on here about baffled sumps and there seems not to be a definitive answer as to how to cure the oil starvation that some of us suffer on track!

Yes there is... Dry Sump :D

smckeown

If I were to build an mi16 track car, i'd look up PeterT's method of how he solves it. Much much cheaper than a dry sump and has been proven

d-9

How hard is it to extend the oil pickup?

nick

Martin (crf450) tried the extended pick-up and deeper sump on his ages ago and it didn't make the slightest bit of difference.

Nick

d-9

was that with an XU10 sump or normal?

KRISKARRERA

I wonder if it would be possible to use an XU10 sump without a spacer but construct some sort of sump brace to give it more strength.

Sign in to follow this