• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugpete1108

Wiring For Coil And Battery

pugpete1108

just starting to rewire my 205 for emerald management with a wasted spark system , does anyone know if i need to keep the original coil and bits or does the emerald ecu run straight to the coil pack for wasted spark (using a ford coil pack) , just figuring what i can junk in the bay to free up space.

also i am putting the battery in the boot and will be running the positive cables to a block in the bay, but do i also run the earth to the bay or locate it closer to the battery?

thanks in advance :)

ablister

would imagine the ecu controls the coil via the tdc sensor. Best to download a wiring diagram from emerald if you can and see what pins go to the coil. The ford coilpack will have a 3 pin connector, one for cylinders 1+4, 2nd for cylinders 2+3 and the other for switched + i think? so no need for any of the 205/405 ignition stuff.

pugpete1108
would imagine the ecu controls the coil via the tdc sensor. Best to download a wiring diagram from emerald if you can and see what pins go to the coil. The ford coilpack will have a 3 pin connector, one for cylinders 1+4, 2nd for cylinders 2+3 and the other for switched + i think? so no need for any of the 205/405 ignition stuff.

yeah i got the wiring diagram but just wanted to be sure as i am only doing the lights etc wiring for now , will start on the ecu stuff later , and didnt want to junk all the parts and then realise i needed them later on.

is see about the 3 pin connector , does the emerald onlt have 2 pin with an extra lead to be added?? i think it might.

what about the battery earth? any clues

ablister

not sure on the emerald but i think it'll have 2 pins going to the coil, 1 for each pair of cylinders. The 3rd wire will be the power supply to the coil. I assume it'll earth itself to the body/engine.

Don't know about earth to the battery, i'm sure you can get away with earthing everything to the body, i've seen it done before in cars. Maybe best to read into that though

Dream Weaver

You can junk the original coil, tachy relay, ignition amplifier etc.

The ECU wiring goes straight to the coilpack as ablister says.

pugpete1108
You can junk the original coil, tachy relay, ignition amplifier etc.

The ECU wiring goes straight to the coilpack as ablister says.

cheers simon, i was hoping that was the case , less is more etc. how about the battery earth ? did you relocate yours?

ps nice to see you have changed your picture,- looking good

Edited by pugpete1108

Dream Weaver

Hi Pete, no I kept my battery in the std position.

The Emerald/bike bodies allowed me to junk the afm, coil, amplifier, the old wiring loom, std throttle body etc so it leaves you with a lot more room.

I also removed the PAS as I wanted the engine bay as neat and tidy as possible :wacko:

If you move the battery to the boot, I would think it needs earthing close to the battery - the battery will need a vent to atmosphere though, usually underneath, so you may need to cut the boot floor. Don't quote me on that though, I may be wrong :D

pugpete1108
Hi Pete, no I kept my battery in the std position.

The Emerald/bike bodies allowed me to junk the afm, coil, amplifier, the old wiring loom, std throttle body etc so it leaves you with a lot more room.

I also removed the PAS as I wanted the engine bay as neat and tidy as possible :D

If you move the battery to the boot, I would think it needs earthing close to the battery - the battery will need a vent to atmosphere though, usually underneath, so you may need to cut the boot floor. Don't quote me on that though, I may be wrong ;)

sh*t , cut the floor that sounds like alot of work, may well just leave it where it is, or see if anyone who has done it can enlighten me!

Rob Turbo

If the battery is going inside the car (like in the boot) it needs to be in a sealed box that has a vent, as said above, all you have to do is drill a hole in the boot floor and make sure you protect the bare metal from rust as soon as its drilled

As for the earth, as close to the battery as possible with a good thick cable but in the engine bay you will need to add an earth strap from the body to the engine, this is where a lot of people go wrong!

Sign in to follow this