• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest krozor_2000

1.9 Just Had Full Service Max Speed 110mph :(

RichE

Wow, what a series of replies, even some hostile!

To those who immediately started with sarcasim/hostility - grow up.

I'm not saying a Mk2 Mondeo is "overal" quicker, im saying that a 1.9 isnt fast at high speeds. 2 Different things. My point about the mondeo was based on fact, and it was making a point about technology, hence why I tried to comfort you 1.9 owners by saying a Skoda VRS will have my GTi 6. It's not what you want to hear, but it's TRUE - throwing your toys out of your pram wont help. Duh. :unsure:

jackherer: Thank you. Someone who can read. Quite right, i did not start this post. :D

Simes: If you read the post, it says "before I broke it." Before commenting, try to read the full thread before trying to be witty :(

Tom_m: Doh, indeed. Oh, and I did Buy a Mondeo, then a 306 GTi 6, that OK with you? B)

MiamiBlueOli: Ignition timing mate. :)

Anthony: Thankfully a mature post! You are indeed quite right that it may just of been tired before I got it, which is why i stated:

1) Ive seen this in several 1.9's

2) All of this is in "my" experience.

It's amazing how some people dont read these bits isnt? ^_^

The 1.9 was an amazing car, could take an Audi TT to 60, but above 80/90 (Proper going for it) it didnt want to know.

It would have pulled to 120+ but the time it took to do so meant that you virtually ran out of road.

Who wants to do 100+ in a 205 anyway? They're not exactly designed for high speed and arent the most stable at 100+ due to weighing as much as a pea! :lol:

I think the saying "There's always one" has changed. There's always at least 3 these days. :)

Rich - you might have spent a fortune on your 205 keeping it serviced, but if previous owners didn't or it's just an engine that's down on power then it'll make no difference. I can promise you that a good 1.9 GTi is quicker than a Mk2 Mondeo 2.0 any speed, any gear - with similar power, shorter gearing, and significantly less weight I can't see how it can fail to do so. Indeed, I'd say my good 1.6 GTi would leave one as well until you're into three figure speeds...

Ok, I wont get into a debate.

However all I will say is, from my post I stated a Mondeo would lose off the mark. However on a rolling start at say 70mph (Where weight means nothing) the mondeo would win.

146BHP 2.0i 16v Zetec II DOHC Mondeo with 180NM of torque.

VS

128BHP (No std 1.9 8v EVER makes this) XU 1.9 8v SOHC and im not sure of the torque, but much less than 180NM. You do the Maths.

The 1.9 would lose. And, again I can confirm it, as Ive done it. Sorry. Also ask richard. Once I gave him a lift home and to say he was suprised how quickly it got from 0-130mph was an understatement.

I'm not bigging up the mondeo, as I dont even have one anymore, just stating FACT.

hengti

and ... relax :unsure:

have driven Mondeos, VAG TDis and GTis - absolutely no idea which was quickest accelerating at motorway speeds - how could you be, without actually timing it? sensation of speed is a big consideration, as others have pointed out. maybe check out the 0-100 times for these cars - ? the 1.9GTi is about 25s (which isn't particularly quick)

the 1.9 8v is lazy compared to the smaller 1.6 - that's the nature of displacement (especially in 8v engines) - heard many a story of 1.6s pulling with relative ease to the limiter in 5th. also agree that most of the fun in 1.9s is over by 80-90; they'll still pull, but not with particular conviction.

i'm off to Germany in mine next month; will be interesting to see what i can wind it up to on the autobahn. i have breakdown cover.

Pug_101

Just one thing to add, As the engines are getting on a bit now be careful of how much oil blowby your car produces. The oil mist that is sucked into the intake system has the effect of reducing the octane rating of petrol so much that it can cause detonation even in new cars and low power ie: less power top end. Also if the sump is overfilled the crankshaft whips the oil up into a mist having the same effect (also doesn't the oil pump chain do this) and as many are overfilling at the moment in an effort to stop the oil surge problem I though i would mention this :unsure:

Anthony
However all I will say is, from my post I stated a Mondeo would lose off the mark. However on a rolling start at say 70mph (Where weight means nothing) the mondeo would win.

146BHP 2.0i 16v Zetec II DOHC Mondeo with 180NM of torque.

VS

128BHP (No std 1.9 8v EVER makes this) XU 1.9 8v SOHC and im not sure of the torque, but much less than 180NM. You do the Maths.

The 1.9 would lose. And, again I can confirm it, as Ive done it. Sorry. Also ask richard. Once I gave him a lift home and to say he was suprised how quickly it got from 0-130mph was an understatement.

I'm not bigging up the mondeo, as I dont even have one anymore, just stating FACT.

Weight means less the faster you go, but at 70mph it still has a reasonable effect when you're talking about a 300kg odd weight difference. That's the difference between just a driver and having four passengers and a boot full.

Mk2 Mondeo's 2.0's were 130hp/128lbft (145hp was the Mk3 Mondeo's with the Duratec lump).

205 1.9's were 128hp/119lbft (although I agree that most fall short)

Ford claimed 128mph top speed for the Mondeo and Peugeot 127mph for the 1.9 GTi

I'm not slagging Mondeo's off and indeed they're far better than most people would believe, having driven them tens of thousands of miles when I worked at a company that supplied them as company cars (and recently been test driving a few 1.8's and 2.0's for my brother who's looking at buying one). However, in my opinion they're simply not fast in 4 cylinder form

Maybe all the ones I've driven have been poor examples, or maybe yours was an exceptional one? I wouldn't like to say. I just disagree with what you're stating as fact, as in my experience, it's simply not the case.

And no, I'm not saying that 1.9's are quick by modern standards by any stretch of the imagination - most current diesel repmobiles would smoke one these days FFS - but the Mk2 Mondeo is early 90's technology remember (as it's little more than a facelift and rework of the Mk1 Mondeo that came out in 1993)

Anyway, it's all getting a bit off-topic....

hengti

just to fan the flames ... only briefly :) :

Mondeos are fantastic cars. Ford have come along enourmously since the Mondeo and Focus. Where are Vauxhall? The Sierra was a pit compared to the Cavalier. Ford are streets ahead at the moment.

Anyway, here are your 0-100 numbers :

1.9 GTi - 23.8

1.6 GTi - 26.6

Mondeo 2.0 - 26.1

Skoda VRS - *cough* 31.0

bosh!

RichE
Mk2 Mondeo's 2.0's were 130hp/128lbft (145hp was the Mk3 Mondeo's with the Duratec lump).

205 1.9's were 128hp/119lbft (although I agree that most fall short)

Ford claimed 128mph top speed for the Mondeo and Peugeot 127mph for the 1.9 GTi

Mk3 Duratech does produce 146BHP and more torque.

Mine was a Zetec II (Std 136BHP - Silver top) (Not 128BHP Black top) with a filter and bluefin remap. Hence the extra power and torque (180NM Torque is the std figure) Mine went up to 192NM.

1.9 GTi - 23.8

1.6 GTi - 26.6

Mondeo 2.0 - 26.1

Skoda VRS - *cough* 31.0

bosh!

Irrelvant. I'll repeat myself one final time. From 80, not 0 a Mondeo WILL beat a 1.9 8v.

If you wish, I'll get my old mondeo back and bring it along to a south meet. (I sold it to my brother inlaw)

:)

You are all seriously missing the point.

Also the quotes that have been mentioned assume the 1.9 is making bang on book power, which I garuntee £1000 it wont be.

Anthony

So yours was running about another 10% more power than other 2.0 Mondeo's out there - unless I missed it you didn't mention that bit previously, and yes, that more than likely would be enough to make it quicker than a 1.9 GTi at top end.

I maintain that a standard Mk2 2.0 Mondeo with the 130hp engine is no quicker than a good 1.9 GTi at top end.

24seven

this thread isn't going anywhere, lol. I'm not really adding to it either :).

Entertaining though.

TEKNOPUG
So yours was running about another 10% more power than other 2.0 Mondeo's out there - unless I missed it you didn't mention that bit previously, and yes, that more than likely would be enough to make it quicker than a 1.9 GTi at top end.

I maintain that a standard Mk2 2.0 Mondeo with the 130hp engine is no quicker than a good 1.9 GTi at top end.

Is that in 5th or 4th gear, or just from 80mph?

But how would it fair against a 142bhp (10% increase) 205?

It's a pointless comparison as you aren't comparing stock with stock and you are assuming that all 205's are down on official power figures and that all Mondeo's are spot on, which can't be the case. Certainly pointless to compare max speed as in previous posts as that's greatly down to gearing (sure mine would pull to 150mph with the suitable ratios).

Anyway, if ones car is struggling to push past 110mph, then there is definitely something amiss, regardless of how well it's been serviced. How does it pull past 5k in the rest of the gears?

Edited by TEKNOPUG