• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest krozor_2000

1.9 Just Had Full Service Max Speed 110mph :(

Guest krozor_2000

If you guys have read my other posts I've been talking about my 1.9 205 feeling very slow, well went to a private strip and the car topped out at 110mph :) struggled after 100 to get there

Could incorrect grounding do this?

:)

jacobs53

possible low compression?

overfueling/underfueling?

brakes seizing?

I doubt a grounding fault would cause it unless it sometimes misfires etc...

lee

Richie-Van-GTi

incorrect ignition timing.

Guest RickGTIBaker

Who wants a bet that the dizzy vacuum unit isn't working?

Edited by RickGTIBaker

RichE

My 1.9 was in tip top condition (Before I broke it :) )

And never really got above 110. And above 80 it was very sluggish.

1.6 flew past 120 though and could easily hit the limiter in 5th :D:)

How's that for sods law!

jackherer
My 1.9 was in tip top condition (Before I broke it :rolleyes: )

And never really got above 110. And above 80 it was very sluggish.

maybe it wasn't as tip top as you thought....

RichE

It was. :rolleyes:

Edit - My point is all the Std 1.9 8v's Ive been in (And Ive been in a fair few) are all very sluggish above 80/90 and really struggle to go past 110/112mph.

Again, in my experience the 1.6's (Again been in a fair few) were much more able at higher speeds. Ironically.

:D

Edited by RichE

Alastairh

My 1.9 seems fairly good all the way up to 120 even with a 1.6 box. (obviously never tried it on the Queens highway)

But yeah check your ignition timing. I've had problems with mine, and really surprising how bad it can make a 205 run.

Alastair

tom_m

seconded, mine has nearly 150k on the clock, almost 3 bar oil pressure on a good day, and will still happily accelerate at 90+ (not on public roads) i certainly wouldn't describe it as sluggish!

James_m

Both of my 1.9's easily pulled an indicated 130+ and/ 6000rpm+ in 5th, and i always thought they were both slow examples :rolleyes:

RichE
seconded, mine has nearly 150k on the clock, almost 3 bar oil pressure on a good day, and will still happily accelerate at 90+ (not on public roads) i certainly wouldn't describe it as sluggish!

All of my cars are always in the highest of orders. No expense spared and serviced in silly intervals.

For example, a custom £90 speedo cable which never shook etc.

So, when I say my 1.9 was in tip top condition, it was.

If you think a 1.9 is quick at 80+ then you havent experienced a fast car.

A bog standard 2.0 mondeo or a laguna will kill a 205 above 80, would you describe them as fast? I would hope not.

I'm not slagging off the 1.9, merely pointing out that in my experience a 1.9 is crap at high speeds - mainly due to the gearing and lazy engine, and again in my experience a 1.6 is actually better. I'm sure now I'll get thousands of 1.9 boys posting about how there cars are super rapid and will out do anything on the road and commenting that my car was probably a s*itter, but I dont particularly care :rolleyes:

Hell, my 1.9 even had a fibre glass bonnet and wings to make it lighter!

Guest MiamiBlueOli
If you think a 1.9 is quick at 80+ then you havent experienced a fast car.

A bog standard 2.0 mondeo or a laguna will kill a 205 above 80, would you describe them as fast? I would hope not.

I agree with you that there are much quicker cars about, but the 1.9 205 is still not slow by any means, even above 80, mine gets to 120 (don't like to take it further) with no problem.

I drive various 2.0 mondeo's, focus's etc (work hire cars so they get some serious stick from me) and if you think that they would kill a 1.9 205 then you must have been in some VERY poor ones. Every time I get back in my 205 after driving these "bog standard" cars I can't believe how fast it is in comparison.

Oli

RichE
I agree with you that there are much quicker cars about, but the 1.9 205 is still not slow by any means, even above 80, mine gets to 120 (don't like to take it further) with no problem.

I drive various 2.0 mondeo's, focus's etc (work hire cars so they get some serious stick from me) and if you think that they would kill a 1.9 205 then you must have been in some VERY poor ones. Every time I get back in my 205 after driving these "bog standard" cars I can't believe how fast it is in comparison.

Oli

Well.

I had a Mondeo for 18 months. a 2.0i 16v with a bluefin chip. It was a Ghia X so fully loaded and almost weighted 1400KG.

Off the mark, you right a 1.9 would rape f*** outta me. and I couldnt touch it. But assuming for an instant this was a straight line run the mondeo would reel it in slowly and pass it.

And again, assuming you both went for it at 80MPH then the mondeo would leave the 1.9 comfortably. I've done it on a stripped out, caged 1.9 on the M20. :rolleyes: (Before bluefin)

The mondeo has technology on its side. 16v engine, DOHC, and shed loads more torque.

Sad but true. Anyone who thinks differently has there heads in the clouds.

My 6 is fooking rapid, it pulls hard in every gear. However a friend has a Skoda diesel VRS thingy.

It'll kill my 6 in a straight line, it has 5BHP more than me and a shed load more torque.

It's just one of those things.

I feel this is going off topic un-necessarily.

If you think your car is not giving you everything then odds are it is the timing.

All I will add is the 205 is a creature that is seriously affected by its enviroment. outside temps, hill gradiants, tyre compounds, you name it. It's been hot these past few days so it wont feel as crisp as normal.

Edited by RichE

Guest MiamiBlueOli
Well.

And again, assuming you both went for it at 80MPH then the mondeo would leave the 1.9 comfortably. I've done it on a stripped out, caged 1.9 on the M20. :rolleyes: (Before bluefin)

The mondeo has technology on its side. 16v engine, DOHC, and shed loads more torque.

Sad but true. Anyone who thinks differently has there heads in the clouds.

My 6 is fooking rapid, it pulls hard in every gear. However a friend has a Skoda diesel VRS thingy.

It'll kill my 6 in a straight line, it has 5BHP more than me and a shed load more torque.

It's just one of those things.

I feel this is going off topic un-necessarily.

If you think your car is not giving you everything then odds are it is the timing.

All I will add is the 205 is a creature that is seriously affected by its enviroment. outside temps, hill gradiants, tyre compounds, you name it. It's been hot these past few days so it wont feel as crisp as normal.

Fair enough I can see your point if you've done it and you know the 205 was definately going for it. I assume it was someone you knew...The stripped out-ness doesn't really make much difference IMO because the weight of the rollcage pretty much evens it out.

Like you say, newer cars have got newer technology on their side and in general a newer car of the same spec will be quicker than a 205 overall. Maybe it's because it's smaller and less refined that it FEELS faster, but i still think that my 205 feels quicker than a standard 2.0 16v car.

When you say the timing do you mean cam-timing or ignition? I've been playing with the ignition timing (doing the pinking in fifth gear test) but however I have it set it doesn't really make a noticeable difference. When I had the engine rebuilt they said it was set to run any any fuel (well any octane unleaded) so I had assumed it was retarded and this was causing problems but I now suspect the headwork/cam.

Oli

jacobs53

id personally do a compression test.... that will tell you if the cylinders are producing the pressure required.

lee

tom_m
I'm not slagging off the 1.9, merely pointing out that in my experience a 1.9 is crap at high speeds

so whats the point of this post? you wanted to tell us you spend a mint maintaining your car, but its slow compared to a mondeo? so go get yourself a mondeo :angry:

i assumed from your post title you were unhappy with the performance related to your service, but you just wanted to tell us you think your car is slow? fair enough :lol:

Richie-Van-GTi

for sake of 5 minutes work try retarding the ignition a degree and go for a spin, if it feels better then wahey keep playing, if it feels worse then wahey keep playing.

Simes

Rich E, did your 1.9 suffer these slow issues after you filled it up to the brim with oil?

number2301

The sluggish comment is blatantly a matter of perception, but to say it'll only pull an indicated 110 just doesn't sound right to me. Both of my shabby 1.9s on 120k have pulled that and above without struggling. Sure its not exactly accelerating like a bullet but its still pulling.

jackherer
so whats the point of this post? you wanted to tell us you spend a mint maintaining your car, but its slow compared to a mondeo? so go get yourself a mondeo :angry:

i assumed from your post title you were unhappy with the performance related to your service, but you just wanted to tell us you think your car is slow? fair enough :lol:

RichE didn't start this post......

tom_m

doh!

Anthony

There is a HUGE variance in the performance of engines out there - I've driven more 1.6 and 1.9 GTi's than most on here I'd imagine, and some feel very quick and others feel absolutely gutless.

Ignition timing is the usual culprit (as people retard it to run on unleaded which kills the power and response), general service issues, and a compression test should show anything untoward. There seems to be a huge variations in AFM's as well, so worth trying another from a known good car. Also worth remembering that cheap pattern exhausts kill performance as well...

Rich - you might have spent a fortune on your 205 keeping it serviced, but if previous owners didn't or it's just an engine that's down on power then it'll make no difference. I can promise you that a good 1.9 GTi is quicker than a Mk2 Mondeo 2.0 any speed, any gear - with similar power, shorter gearing, and significantly less weight I can't see how it can fail to do so. Indeed, I'd say my good 1.6 GTi would leave one as well until you're into three figure speeds...

t16ryan

All standard 1900s should hit 130 i have had about 12 and all of them have hit 130 even with a 1600 gti box still reaches 130 flat out, I swould go for vacuum unit they quite common to pack up

Anthony
All standard 1900s should hit 130 i have had about 12 and all of them have hit 130 even with a 1600 gti box still reaches 130 flat out, I swould go for vacuum unit they quite common to pack up

The vacuum advance only works on part throttle - at WOT the vacuum advance unit does nothing as there's no vacuum in the inlet manifold. You could unplug the unit completely and it would have no effect on top speed - only part throttle response and economy.

Oh, and a 1.6 'box on a 1.9 engine will mean you'll hit the 6500rpm limiter around 125mph...

t16ryan

How comes on a RR session with the vacuum off it was 8bhp down??????? also a 1600 box hits 130 exactly at the limiter on 6700rpm which is where most hit the limiter,