• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ALEX

Does The Oil Cooler

ALEX

Ive been running mine for over a year now without one.

As the bracket for the remote water/oil cooler broke when fitting the new engine. I never got round to buying a new bracket.

I noticed though that the oil temp wasn't any different than before on the gauge though so just made me wonder.

I'd like to fit an oil cooler back on it either way. But was wondering if the Air cooled type would fit instead of a remote Water one as the air cooled ones are more common (and GSF sell them) I'd need the Pipework aswell obviously but mine has PAS and I was wondering if the block mounting bracket with the alternator and pas pump is in the way.

Anyone on here with PAS and an air cooled oil cooler?

Alex

Rob_the_Sparky

Certainly not on the road, I've run my tuned 1.9 without one for ages without any high oil temps. I ran it at FCS on the track a couple of years ago and oil temps were a problem there but whether it was that much different to running with a cooler or not I don't know.

Rob

Anthony

The standard 1.9 air-oil cooler is a waste of time in my opinion, atleast on the road, and hardly makes any difference at all - the difference between having it fitted and not was about a third of a notch on the oil temp gauge.

The water-oil heat exchanger is useful on the road as it helps to being the oil upto temperature faster, but in terms of oil cooling its not particularly effective.

ALEX

Yeah didn't think they did much. But I wouldn't have thought Peugeot would have fit it for no reason though.

What do I need to fit a Mocal oil cooler?

How much would it cost?

Would I still need the standard 205 adaptor that screwes on to the block?

Would it fit on a 205 with PAS?

Alex

Anthony

Fit a finned alloy sump from an Mi16 - these seem to be an effective oil cooler if you don't want the expense of something like a Mocal.

Make sure that you need an oil cooler though - in the UKs cool climate I don't think that they're needed unless you're doing trackdays. Remember that overcooling the oil is argueably worse than running it too hot...

jacobs53

just out of intrest, is the mi16 finned sump compatible with a xu 1.6 engine?

lee

Rob_the_Sparky

If you do go to the trouble of a MOCAL then you can fit a thermostaticly controlled sandwich plate to prevent over cooling.

Anthony
just out of intrest, is the mi16 finned sump compatible with a xu 1.6 engine?

You'd need the spacer/stiffner plate from the 1.9 8v/Mi16 as the Mi16 sump is shallower than the 1.6 sump

KRISKARRERA
Remember that overcooling the oil is argueably worse than running it too hot...
Oops, I've not had mine on the 405 in ages.

Guest chris1993GTI

Whats required to remove the cooler? Mines an air/air cooler. Does it just unscrew? Is there a differant sandwich plate required?

Cheers,

Chris.

newdean0

It's not hard to remove the cooler, the sandwich plate just comes off (There's a big flat nut under the oil ilter) and you bolt a normal oil filter straight on. The nut that holds the sandwich plate on is difficult to get to though.

Guest chris1993GTI

Good stuff! My pipes are leaking, so if it does bugger all on normal road use....I'll take it off!

Cheers,

Chris.

Sandy

The thermostatic sandwich plates usually only restrict flow to the cooler, rather than properly isolating it. Fit a proper oil temp gauge first to establish if you really do have an oil temp issue (up to 130C isn't a problem with decent oils), before you fit an expensive oil cooler, which adds weight and complexity.

24seven
Remember that overcooling the oil is argueably worse than running it too hot...

could overcool oil be part of the surge trouble in the Mi16 maybe? oil isn't hot & thin enough to flow properly?

Ahl
could overcool oil be part of the surge trouble in the Mi16 maybe? oil isn't hot & thin enough to flow properly?

No. The mi16 runs a water-oil heat exchanger that actually gets the oil up to working temperature quicker.

Anthony
No. The mi16 runs a water-oil heat exchanger that actually gets the oil up to working temperature quicker

Most 205 Mi16 conversions I've seen have the heat exchanger removed, which is a shame, as on a road car it works very well for bringing the oil upto temperature quicker. My 309 (block mounted water-oil heat exchanger) gets the oil upto temperature in about half the time of my 1.6 GTi (no oil cooler) on the same journey, which can only be a good thing with regards to oil effectiveness.

KRISKARRERA

So you think I should put mine back on then Anthony?

pug_ham
The water-oil heat exchanger is useful on the road as it helps to being the oil upto temperature faster, but in terms of oil cooling its not particularly effective.
I have one fitted to my car & it worked better than I expected at FCS. Water temp stayed near normal & oil was sat below the second thick white bar on the guage. I'd expected worse.
Fit a finned alloy sump from an Mi16 - these seem to be an effective oil cooler if you don't want the expense of something like a Mocal.

If you fit an alloy sump you'll be lucky to get oil temp showing in winter, I had one on mine last year before I fitted the water oil exchanger & it hardly moved even on an hour long good thrash.

Graham.

Anthony
I have one fitted to my car & it worked better than I expected at FCS. Water temp stayed near normal & oil was sat below the second thick white bar on the guage. I'd expected worse.

Interesting, as in my experience what's always happened is that the oil temperature has continued to climb and dragged the coolant temperature up with it. Prehaps the cooling system was fairly marginal in those cars and there wasn't enough spare capacity to cool the oil down as well?

Sounds pretty good if it is capable of doing a decent job of keeping the oil cool(er) as well - for comparison, at FCS the oil temperature gauge on my cooler-less 1.6 GTi was pretty much on the end of the scale and pressure was starting to drop off as a result :D

If you fit an alloy sump you'll be lucky to get oil temp showing in winter, I had one on mine last year before I fitted the water oil exchanger & it hardly moved even on an hour long good thrash.

I agree - my old Mi16 had a alloy sump and no heat exchanger, and when I bought the car in winter I thought that the oil temp sensor was broken as the needle didn't move in a month even when on the motorway! ;)

ALEX

I've noticed that on mine the water temps moves first then the oil temp follows.

On hot days in traffic the oil & water temp eventually read the same on their guages. Only when I set off moving again (or the fan kicks in at full belt) the the water temp drops but the oil stays the same.

Would it drop if I had the oil cooler fitted?

I'm wondering if peugeot decided an oil cooler was required as the engine has wet liners rather than dry.

In a dry liner engine don't the oil and water ways run close to each other?

I'm not sure I agree with the climate in other countries argument as cars are built to to suit the regulations for the country (i.e left hand drive, Headlights etc.)

Seems stupid to fit the oil cooler on if it's not required.

I dont imagine a button is pressed and out pops a brand new 205gti like it came out of a vending machine. (would be nice though).

It would be extra work to fit the oil cooler so it must have some use, even for everyday use.

Peugeot changed the cam pulley bolt from M12 to M10 on their later models. Was this to save money? 1p per car how much would thay have saved it they removed the oil cooler!!!?

KRISKARRERA

Something has occured to me about this. The oil cooler/warmer thing isn't going to be getting much water flow until the thermostat opens.

ALEX
Something has occured to me about this. The oil cooler/warmer thing isn't going to be getting much water flow until the thermostat opens.

That makes it impossible to act as an oil warmer then! :D

Edited by ALEX

pug_ham

Yeah, thats right. It doesn't take long for the water to get hot enough to open the thermostat though & when it does it it will warm the oil quicker than if they were always in effect imo.

Graham.

KRISKARRERA

In this hot weather that's trrue but what about in winter when quick heating of the oil is most important the thermostat can take ages to open and by then the oil will be nicely warmed up anyway. Bit of a flawed design really

pug_ham

If its cold enough to take the thermostat a long to open then the oil will be kept cool by the cold water & they will both warm up at a similar rate imo so if they were on a constant heat exchange it could make things worse in severe cold weather. Not forgetting that once the thermostat opens the overall water temperature will drop slightly as the cold water from the system outside the thermostat mixes.

Mine was fine during last winter though but I have an 82' thermostat that even on the coldest day I remember was open within five miles of leaving my house.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this