• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Alan_M

205 Mi16 Fuel Filter Leaks

Alan_M

Another issue to solve before MOT time, is the fact my fuel filter leaks at the banjo.

Now, I know I could probably sort this by using new copper seals and a new fuel-line clip but, I would rather sort it by changing the system. I've heard that the 405 filter is better due to the lines being crimped onto the filter rather than a clip?

I think Wurzel mentioned some time ago that he used a VW filter?

Can anybody shed any light on this, as I don't trust the current setup at all!

Thanks

Alan

Alan_M

Already got an 8mm banjo.......

jackherer

I got bored worrying about the fuel systems in mine and my mates 205 Mi16s leaking so I went to a hydraulic suppler and got them to crimp up some hoses with fittings to run from the pump, through the bulkhead and straight to the fuel rail with the standard filter relocated to the inner wing. I've never had a problem with the standard banjos sealing as long as I've used new copper washers which come with new filters anyway but with the filter on the wing its much easier to tighten and inspect for leaks plus its further from the exhaust manifold. I'll post some pics soon.

Dream Weaver

I'm going to replace mine later on with a single inline filter - there are some on ebay that would do the job.

Will probably fit it under the car near the tank, rather than where it is now near the hot manifold :)

Edd-XS

Am I right in saying that you can use any fuel filter providing it can flow enough fuel?

Would it be possible to extend the old fuel lines (metal ones attached to the bulkhead) with rubber hosing to a filter in a better location?

I may do this when I fit the Mi as since I caught my fuel filter leaking near my manifold to say I was less than happy with its current location is an understatment! :)

Thanks

Sam

Just go to a motor factors and get a universal metal filter with 8mm tails. If you want you can stick it where the jack normally goes like jackherer says.

Cheaper than the standard GTI one too!

ablister

i'm using rubber pipe straight from the tank to the filter as i gave up trying the bend the fuel pipe the correct way (i assumed the proper peugeot pipe would come all bent correctly, instead it was just a roll of pipe!).

I use the gti6/406 v6 coupe fuel filter as it's smaller (plus it was free). It needs the quick release clips but the hdi serine fluid comes with a kit with brand new clips that have 8mm tails so these are ideal for the fuel pipe and the filter. I have lots of spare quick release clips and brand new fuel filters if anyone wants them.

Wurzel

Yep, the fuel leak around the banjo area was a real issue for me also, despite using all new filters and washers. In the end, I got so fed up with trying to get access to the fuel filter, I pulled all the pressure hose out from fuel tank to filter and replaced with fuel injection hose. This was covered at the mounting points with suitable protection and wirelocked to the original hose clips.

This let me extend the fuel supply line up past the point where the original fuel filter sat and to the inner wing where the oe jack used to sit. I then got a VW Passat 1.8 CL (1995) fuel filter as this is the same size as the Pug filter but with inline connections. Proper fuel hose clips were used. The original fuel filter clamp can be used to clamp the VW cannister which was then bolted to the point where the jack used to get secured.

I will be replacing the fuel return line with rubber hosing as soon as I have two minutes. The whole job took less time than it used to trying to remove the filter and get spanners on to the banjos etc.

I'll get a piccy later ;)

Veero

Yeah I put a brand new filter and washers on when i did my Mi, cranked it over to get oil pressure, then hoooked up the fuel pump fuse and it spewed petrol everywhere thanks to a badly machined washer ;)

Much faffing and a new filter it's ok but is a constant worry. I like the idea of an inline filter nearer the tank away from hot things, no banjos or washers to leak etc.

Also it would give better access to the Mi16 cambelt cover bolt in that corner which with the filtetr there is a royal pain in the ass to get to.

Veero

Alan_M
Yep, the fuel leak around the banjo area was a real issue for me also, despite using all new filters and washers. In the end, I got so fed up with trying to get access to the fuel filter, I pulled all the pressure hose out from fuel tank to filter and replaced with fuel injection hose. This was covered at the mounting points with suitable protection and wirelocked to the original hose clips.

This let me extend the fuel supply line up past the point where the original fuel filter sat and to the inner wing where the oe jack used to sit. I then got a VW Passat 1.8 CL (1995) fuel filter as this is the same size as the Pug filter but with inline connections. Proper fuel hose clips were used. The original fuel filter clamp can be used to clamp the VW cannister which was then bolted to the point where the jack used to get secured.

I will be replacing the fuel return line with rubber hosing as soon as I have two minutes. The whole job took less time than it used to trying to remove the filter and get spanners on to the banjos etc.

I'll get a piccy later ;)

Nice idea, but I've used that area where the jack used to be for the Mi16 injection relay box :D

Dream Weaver

Just bolt an inline filter under the car near the fuel tank :)

Simes
Nice idea, but I've used that area where the jack used to be for the Mi16 injection relay box :)

You can put all that inside around where the ECU lives.

KRISKARRERA

Are the internals of all fuel filters basically the same? The 205/309 filter is alot cheaper that the 405 filter so maybe I could be tight and get away with using a universal one on the 405. Mines only 3 years old but they sure corrode quickly when under the car.

Alan_M
You can put all that inside around where the ECU lives.

Not on mine you can't! :)

jackherer
Not on mine you can't! :)

I suspect you have a 405 loom and Simes has a BX one...

Alan_M
Are the internals of all fuel filters basically the same? The 205/309 filter is alot cheaper that the 405 filter so maybe I could be tight and get away with using a universal one on the 405. Mines only 3 years old but they sure corrode quickly when under the car.

After mcuh looking through the filters in Halfords, the 405 Mi16 one has metal tails on it so not needing banjo type connections. This is one option, but I would prefer to relocate the filter all together.

Can someone give me a hint as to what inline filter I need, or where I can get one from?

Rob_the_Sparky

I'd try looking at kit car type catalogues as these guys must be selecting fuel filters all the time.

TEKNOPUG

I wouldn't put it under the car - not very well protect if ever you go off-roading :blink: Better to move the ECU and locate the filter where the jack is. That's what I intend to do on mine but it was such a pain just replacing it in the standard position that I took it to my local garage and even they cursed at what a bastard job it was. Still, it doesn't leak at the moment. Will wait until I only have one fuel line instead of two before I relocate it.

Dream Weaver

There are plenty of cars running with the filter underneath, though i'm sure there are better locations to use.

Re the actual filter, I was looking at these - Ebay Fuel filter

Expensive, but they have replaceable elements, and they do look cool :P

jackherer
There are plenty of cars running with the filter underneath, though i'm sure there are better locations to use.

Re the actual filter, I was looking at these - Ebay Fuel filter

Expensive, but they have replaceable elements, and they do look cool :P

a mate of mine has a similar replaceable element fuel filter on his S16, made by K & N!

fuel_filter.jpg

DaveW

Them K & N ones look nice pricey mind you :P

jackherer
Them K & N ones look nice pricey mind you :blush:

oh really? I might sell the spare one I have in the garage then... :blush:

Henry Yorke

I used a metal Vauxhall one on my Skip. This is also mounted to the jack fastener with extended fuel lines. the original lines were cut under the car and diverted up towards the offside strut like on the 205 diesels. the reason for this was because the GTI ones come right up by where the turbo sits and I didn't reckon this was a good idea!!

There is a pic if you follow this link http://www.pughosting.co.uk/photopost/data...Skip-Engine.jpg

Edited by Henry Yorke

Sign in to follow this