• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GTI_Lee

205 Gti Siezed !

GTI_Lee

basically,

i heard a strange clacking noise coming from the car when i hit about 4krpm.

then all of a sudden i turned a corner then the noise got hellish loud and it just cut out :wacko:

tried starting and it was seized, whilst being towed back i put into gear and it sounded like it was grinding, so then i got home, tried to start and it started fine but even if i reved a little bit it clackes like hell.

any ideas??

thansk lee

maturin23

Given limited details it sounds pretty ominous.

Before any one here can do anything but guess you need to a bit of detective work and post your findings

Check the oil and coolant? Anything out of the ordinary before or after the incident?

Any blue smoke from the exhaust when ticking over?

Have you done a visual check of the engine bay - leakage, foregin objects, broken belts?

Try and identify the source of the sound by SAFELY getting your head in the bay and underneath whilst it's running.

Best of luck - and remember that a s/h replacement 1.9 shouldn't be more than £100 and can be swapped on the drive with basic mechanical skills and access to an HSS catalogue.

cheers

Ian

Edited by maturin23

Richie-Van-GTi

Whip the sump off, from the sounds of it the oil chain may of snapped or a big end shell has gone.

GTI_Lee

thanks mate

yes i know i am abit veige but...

all belts are ok.

i have dropped the oil out and seems ok, slight amount of iron filing in there no broken shells.

water is ok.

a freinde thinks it could be cyliner 1 as whiulst running that one does seem to be getting as warm as the others.

a friend has taken one shell out and seems ok but a very copper colour. am yet waiting for him to do the other shells. if no luck then go to the head i guess?

lee

a freind has offered to put a 1.9 gti replacment in for £200 inc the engine but that has done 123,000.

lee

Whip the sump off, from the sounds of it the oil chain may of snapped or a big end shell has gone.

chain is fine, only one shell off so far but will be getting others off soon,

whilkst there all tight the there is abit of move ment in them from side to side, maybe a few mm that ok / not ?

lee

Richie-Van-GTi

should all feel nice and tight really, try levering the crank see if that moves as well. could be the thrust washers gone.

GTI_Lee

me mates dad has just been down.

right....

he popped the shells out of cylinder 2 and they have turned, they are a right mess!! so we know what it is.

havent checked no1 and no4, but at least i know now. :wacko:.

i dont know what to do, do i replace with a 1.9 gti engine for £200?

or just sell as it is.

he said it will need a full re-build for a proper job, and if im gointo do that then get a steel bottom end because im running twin 40's and a high lift came.

lee

Rob_the_Sparky

Depends on your budget, engine re-builds don't come cheap even building to standard spec. Uprated parts are more expensive again.

123k miles is a lot for a 1.9, it won't be a fantastic engine but TBH any engine fitted second hand will be a risk. I'd try and get a better engine then get this fitted and run the car.

Rob

P.S. Extracting extra power out of an engine with a tired bottom end is going to make the engine's short life even shorter.

Sign in to follow this