• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest purpletoddy

2.0 Mi16 R1 Carbs, What Ignition?

Guest purpletoddy

hello people,

I have decided to run my 2.0 mi16 on r1 carbs, and today I have decided that I dont want to go down the dizzy route. I have the mi16 loom (no ecu!!!) and the complete 1.9 gti loom with ecu.

I would like to go down the aftermarket ecu route, and megasquirt seems to be the cheapest but still does the job. Does anyone know what system i need as im totally clueless to what versions are avalible and what i need to do the job. Ive been on www.megasquirt.info and they could have written it in french for all the difference it made to me. I know I only need ignition control and i would like to retain the coil packs.

I need to know:

What system is best to use (what version of megasquirt)

What do i need to run it

What sensors i have to keep etc

Any help will be much apprieciated as i aint got a clue and im gettin very confused :D

Guest purpletoddy

in addition to the above,

would it be easier to get a set of bike tb's as i can get hold of a set od zx10 2005 tb's and run the ignition and fueling from a megasquirt??????

taffycrook

Well what you have here is two seperate questions.

If you can it is better to have TB's and mapped ign. There are many products to do this and most are very good.

If you have the ability you can use the loom you already have (mi16) or you can buy a loom with the ECU.

With the R1 carbs you will get much better results with mapped ign, and once again you have plenty of options, if you are not up to the wiring then get an expert to do it and get it mapped on the rollers.

Dom9

Oh man... Picked up my rebuilt Mi16 at the weekend and it came with a dizzy adaptor and dizzy... I'm so tempted just to bolt the engine in, get it running and play with it for a while before buying mappable ign/inj now... Just 'cos it's easy! I will get in touch with Bogg Bros today to see if they can sort me out a manifold!

Sign in to follow this