• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
richsmells

Oil Filters

richsmells

I think it's the boredom setting in now i've finished my exams, but today I bought a couple of oil filters from GSF and thought it might be worthwhile to post some info to help others.

I wanted a Purflux filter from GSF as this has the non return valve in to provide instant oil pressure when the engine is started.

The GSF part number for the 205 XU filter is T12047 (T12057 is quoted on the website, which is infact incorrect aparrently!? :) )

However, as most people know GSF have stopped supplying the Purflux OE filters and now supply Meca Laussette ones. The Poole branch had one last Purflux one in stock though and a Meca one, so I got both for £5! :D

I went into the Peugeot garage as it's only up the road to get some bits.

Purflux filters are £8.13 inc VAT :) Part number: 1109N2

Now for the really sad bit:

IMG_3857.sized.jpg

Purflux filter: IMG_3858.thumb.jpg

Meca filter

(note the non return valve) IMG_3859.thumb.jpg

Crappy unipart filter

(no non return valve)IMG_3860.thumb.jpg

HERE are some more pics and weights.

Rob_the_Sparky

Very sad :)

AFAIK Pug dealer actually supply some MECCA parts as well, although I might be wrong...

Super Josh

I thought that GSF still stock the Purflux filter, under a different part number? Or have they stopped doing this now?

Josh

Ahl

So the meca filters have the non-return valve like the purflex ones? You can't see much in the picture.

richsmells
I thought that GSF still stock the Purflux filter, under a different part number? Or have they stopped doing this now?

Josh

The guy behing the counter in GSF was adamant that they now stock Meca ones as a replacement to Purflux.

Inside the Meca filter there is a little valve thing similar to that of the Purflux one. This is not present in the cheaper (£1.20 :D ) Unipart one.

I might get round to changing the oil tomorrow. :wacko:

hengti

i tend to buy a few of these at a time - last time i went for some, i went to ECP and they provided 'Hensch' (i think ...) filters - i asked about Perflux, and they said that they don't seem to get them anymore - ?

haven't checked to see if they've got these return valves in them yet though

edit : sorry - not hensch - 'hengst' : are these any good does anyone know?

Edited by hengti

Man3

Pug normally do genuine filters for about £3.40 plus vat at my local dealer. Am I just special? They normally do 5 litres of total oil for about £12 too, always thought they seemed quite reasonable for service parts.

Alan_M
Pug normally do genuine filters for about £3.40 plus vat at my local dealer. Am I just special? They normally do 5 litres of total oil for about £12 too, always thought they seemed quite reasonable for service parts.

My local dealer was selling XU oil filters for 50p each last time I was there, so ended up buying a dozen :wacko:

Rippthrough
My local dealer was selling XU oil filters for 50p each last time I was there, so ended up buying a dozen :wacko:

£9 last time I bought one. It was only £12 for the filter and 4 litres of oil...

Duroc
Pug normally do genuine filters for about £3.40 plus vat at my local dealer.

There are two sorts they supply:

An earlier type..LS867, which is about £4-5

and a later type LS923, about double the price. The Parts manager recommended the latter to me as it was supposed to be superior and designed to last 18000miles (not that I would leave it that long)

Apparantly the LS867's are being phased out now, anyway.

jonah
Inside the Meca filter there is a little valve thing similar to that of the Purflux one. This is not present in the cheaper (£1.20 :D ) Unipart one.

Pretty sure that the valve you can see is a pressure relief valve, which only opens if the filter element is badly clogged. The non-return valve is the rubber flap covering the outer holes. From the photos it looks it's there in all three filters.

ablister

i've seen both purflux and mann peugeot oil filters. The later oil filters 1109 T0 is basically the same as the earlier 1109 N2 but with finer filtration for longer service intervals (HDI's use the T0 and they get serviced every 12,000 miles whereas early TU's use the N2 and they are serviced every 9,000 miles) but i don't like the idea of using the same oil for 2 years

cybernck

i always use Purflux ones... and they are incredibly cheap from Peugeot here :wacko: - only about £3.50.

Beastie

Just to add that the other big difference between cheap filters and quality ones lies in the amount of filter material used. Cheaper filters often use exactly the same material as quality ones but less of it. Clearly you can't inspect this without cutting the casing but it's apparent how it works if you look at a typical Champion air filter compared with a quality item: Bigger pleats on a smaller diameter instead of many small pleats on a large diameter. Cheaper filters will clog sooner and operate the bypass valve.

Pete C

I always use Halfrauds filters because they're the easiest to get hold of for me. I work in the city centre and can pop in on my lunchbreak, find it hard to get to motor factors/car dealerships during opening hours! :D

Edited by Pete C

Rob_the_Sparky

You don't have to buy the Halfords branded one though, you could pick-up a good one (even at Halfrauds!).

Pete C
You don't have to buy the Halfords branded one though, you could pick-up a good one (even at Halfrauds!).

Not in Bath Halfrauds, it's too small :D

I know it's a lame excuse, but I've used the Halfrauds filters on my 300bhp Nissan 200SX for over 20,000 miles now (oil change every 3k) and have had no problems.

Sign in to follow this