• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jean_quemener

Best Gear Box For A Mi16.

Jean_quemener

Hi this is my first post, i have used the search engine to look to see if my question had been brough up but it hadnt, I was wondering about what gear box will be best for acceleration on mi16 conversion, i was thinking of 1.6 but have been told by a few of my mates that im better of to stick with the 1.9 box thats in there at the mo because first gear will be far to short and 1.6 final drive wont give me a great top end, im not to sure what to do :) , there seams to be looads about using modifing gear boxs, using differnt final drives but i dont wish to do this at this point in time.

thanks jean.

Dino
Hi this is my first post, i have used the search engine to look to see if my question had been brough up but it hadnt, I was wondering about what gear box will be best for acceleration on mi16 conversion, i was thinking of 1.6 but have been told by a few of my mates that im better of to stick with the 1.9 box thats in there at the mo because first gear will be far to short and 1.6 final drive wont give me a great top end, im not to sure what to do :ph34r: , there seams to be looads about using modifing gear boxs, using differnt final drives but i dont wish to do this at this point in time.

thanks jean.

1.9 box is the worst you could use as it really doesnt suit the engine at ALL.

1.6 box is very linear and best for acceleration overall but top speed and high speed cruising will suffer

Mi16 box is the best compromise with short 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears and longer 4th and 5th gears (although 4th and 5th still arent as long as a 1.9 box) Another issue with an Mi16 box on a std Mi16 engine is that you can't reach 60 in 2nd gear! So whilst the first three ratios are shorter than a 1.6 box it takes you longer to accelerate due to having to change up gears sooner.

I use an Mi16 box on my modded Mi16 engine and find it works very well on the road (especially for chasing E36 M3s on the M25 :() but it does suffer somewhat on track. If you will be using your car primarily as a track car then a 1.6 box is the way to go (you may even be happy with a 1.6 box on the road too)

Its all down to personal preference mate but the one thing I cannot stress is enough is how wrong the 1.9 box is on an Mi16

Hope that helps Dude :)

Edited by Dino

Dream Weaver

I think mine is a std 1.9 box and its fine, though it does depend on your engine spec.

I'd be wheelspinning all day with a 1.6 box :)

S33GAV

As dino said, if it's a road car then a mi16 is the best. It was made for the engine after all...

Jean_quemener

Thank you very much for your quick replys, so it was as i though i think i will use a 1.6 box and if it tunrs out not to my like the mi16 box with have to go back on thansk alot :)

jean

James_R

1.6 box is defo for track use mainly, 60@3.5k on motorways is a bit teadious for everyday.

munky205

I've been in the position that i've had both a 1.6 box and an mi16 box on my mi16. The 1.6 box was by far the most outrageous and fun as it gets to top speed in no time at all,although not much of a top speed. The mi16 box suits my engine much better though as it's slightly modified. The reason for the change of gearbox was the fact that i blew it up so if you a 1.6 box,be careful not to abuse it ALL the time.

danpug

I had a 1.6 box on mine and found cruising at 70 a bit loud but it was worth it. Pulled very hard in every gear all the way up to the limiter in 5th. That was my daily driver too.

ada205
I had a 1.6 box on mine and found cruising at 70 a bit loud but it was worth it. Pulled very hard in every gear all the way up to the limiter in 5th. That was my daily driver too.

Just out of curiosity, what speed where you pulling when hitting the limiter in top? I've just got another Mi lump, and planning to slowly build it up to a spec above the one currently in the car, but cant decide what box to go for. The car currently has a 6 speed, and i just cant decide if to keep it or ditch it when i change engines.

Love the close ratios & low revving at motorway speeds that the 6 speed provides, but the loss of right hand lock is why I'm tempted to change.

pacey205

I dont understand why everyone complains about the 1.6 box, you dont hear all the 1.6 owners complaining about theyre cars on the motorway do you ? so why should it be massively different with an Mi attached.

Im going the 1.6 route eventually when I get it sorted.

Incidentally Ive been driving a 1.6 cabriolet recently and I dont reckon its that bad on teh motorway, loud yes but not ear splittingly so.

Michael

jackherer
Just out of curiosity, what speed where you pulling when hitting the limiter in top?

I've calculated the max top speed for a standard Mi16 (7200rpm) with a 1.6 box and its 138.21531 mph. I've seen slightly higher numbers on the speedos of a couple of 205s but the speedos are pretty innaccurate I reckon.

petert
1.6 box is defo for track use mainly, 60@3.5k on motorways is a bit teadious for everyday.

That's just a state of mind. As said, how many 1.6 owners complain? The Mi16 is just as happy at 3500 as it is at 3100. I still get 34 mpg at a constant 120 km/h (4100rpm) in my Mi16x4.

James_R
That's just a state of mind. As said, how many 1.6 owners complain? The Mi16 is just as happy at 3500 as it is at 3100. I still get 34 mpg at a constant 120 km/h (4100rpm) in my Mi16x4.

Probabaly more the fact I'm running it in atm, so can't sustain high revs much ;) and the stripped out ness of it, love banging through the gears though, but I like 90mph@4k for motorway driving.

jackherer

definitely. my mates stripped 205 Mi16 with 1.6 box covered 32000 miles in the 12 months between its last two mot tests including a daily commute.

number2301

My 1.9 is at about 3900rpm at 70 anyway so I can't see a little higher being much worse!

Jean_quemener

I have no motorways where i live, the max speed is 40 lol ;) so i have no problem about curving at 70 80 for prelonged periods of time lol, http://jersey.boys-brigade.org.uk/index homepage_files/image003.jpg not the biges place in the world lol. so i think the 1.6 box is going to be just fine for me lol

Ahl
My 1.9 is at about 3900rpm at 70 anyway so I can't see a little higher being much worse!

In which case either your speedo is out, you rev counter is out or you have a 1.6 box fitted. :)

Sandy

Alot of misinformation! The Mi16 and 1.6 overall gearing goes like this: 1st are the same, 2nd Mi16 is shorter (better acceleration and preferable rev drop from first), 3rd is virtually the same, 4th is virtually the same, 5th is taller on the Mi16, which surely is preferable, how much time do you really spend driving hard in fifth?

MPH/1000rpm is as follows:

Gear Mi16--1.6--1.9

1st 5.2--5.0--6.3

2nd 8.2--8.8--9.9

3rd 11.9--12.2--13.4

4th 15.8--15.5--17.1

5th 20.3--19.1--21.0

That's on 195/50/15's

jonnie205

1.6 or mi either will be fine, there is no question the 1.9 box kills performance. the mi box has a stronger casing and cooling fins so prob best with the mi box for track work.

danpug
Just out of curiosity, what speed where you pulling when hitting the limiter in top? I've just got another Mi lump, and planning to slowly build it up to a spec above the one currently in the car, but cant decide what box to go for. The car currently has a 6 speed, and i just cant decide if to keep it or ditch it when i change engines.

Love the close ratios & low revving at motorway speeds that the 6 speed provides, but the loss of right hand lock is why I'm tempted to change.

I think it was 130 indicated, i'm not a top end fan but the mi16 gets there so quick you don't realise you are doing it.

Guest Cartooner

I can get hold of a 309 16V gearbox. I'm sure I read somewhere that this is a 'killer' gearbox but I can't find the source anymore. Is this similar to the Mi16 box or are there differences. Sorry for hacking the topic, but I stay on the subject I believe. :wacko:

Edited by Cartooner

pug_ham

One gearbox that hasn't been mentioned yet is the 1.9 GTi gearbox with a 1.6 final drive. I think its very well suited to a car that is used mainly as a trackday car. It benefits over the 1.6 alone by the longer first gear giving it slightly less tendency to wheelspin when trying a quick start. Max is still mid 130mph which is plenty quick enough.

I can get hold of a 309 16V gearbox. I'm sure I read somewhere that this is a 'killer' gearbox but I can't find the source anymore. Is this similar to the Mi16 box or are there differences. Sorry for hacking the topic, but I stay on the subject I believe. :wacko:
Its almost identical, there is a breakdown of the ratio's here on www.hi-speed.dk, on the earlier (pre 1992 & better suited imo) the only difference is fourth gear but I still think a better gearbox is the one I mentioned at the start of my post.

Graham.

taffycrook

I always enjoy this topic, the amount of miss information out there is amazing.

You have to decide what you want from your gear box, how much power you have and work out what you want from there.

To get more than a real 136mph out of the 205 you need to have a fair amount of power.

IIRC 150 mph requires 250 bhp. So why gear your car for 150 mph.

Weight has an effect also so whilest the mi16 box is usefull its not ideal, the 1.6 box has its uses and matches the power to top speed nicely.

1.9 box feels fine on the 8v and does no harm on the mi16 and is also a good choice on a road car.

But the ideal box for the std engine and car is a mix and match of all 3.

jackherer
1.9 box feels fine on the 8v and does no harm on the mi16 and is also a good choice on a road car.

I have to disagree about the 1.9 box, its horrible with an Mi16.

Sign in to follow this