• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Henry Yorke

Xu9j1/az (cti) Driveshafts

Henry Yorke

I was looking in the parts catalogue at drive shafts and I was under the impression that my 1993 XU9J1/AZ 1.9 CTI ran on 1.6 hubs and shafts. Well I am pretty sure on the hubs as 307 brakes will not fit straight on, however looking at the parts cat, it seems that it also runs on 1.9 shafts.

Click here for the link to the parts catalogue

If you look at the descriptor at the top, it says "XU9JA XU9JAZ XU9J1 GTI 1,9 " My CTI is basically the latter, though it has an AZ at the end (which denotes the cat is fitted).

Have I got 1.9 shafts? Doing a search says the only real way to tell is to measure the hub nut. Sounds like a task for later!

rich_w

The JAZ engine was used in the non hairdresser models as well.

Sounds like you may well need to some measuring latter...

Anthony

I suspect that's for the export 1.9 GTi models that originally ran the XU9J1 engine (and later the XU9JAZ)

The CTi's I'm 99% sure run 1.6 GTi shafts, even the later 1.9's - the fact that 307 brakes won't bolt up confirms that it's not 1.9 hubs anyway (and 1.9 driveshafts only fit 1.9 hubs).

Henry Yorke
I suspect that's for the export 1.9 GTi models that originally ran the XU9J1 engine (and later the XU9JAZ)

Depends which export model and to where! I think the "Japanese" ones had the XU9J1/AZ where as the "Aussie" Classics had the XU9J/AZ (PeterT?)

The CTi's I'm 99% sure run 1.6 GTi shafts, even the later 1.9's - the fact that 307 brakes won't bolt up confirms that it's not 1.9 hubs anyway (and 1.9 driveshafts only fit 1.9 hubs).

That was my thoughts too. Good job it is all coming off then!!

I was looking for gearbox/drive shaft seals on the parts CD and came across this query which I thought I would share with the group! :wacko:

petert

There's an easy way to tell:

hub nut with split pin - 1.9L shafts

staked hub nut - 1.6L shafts

If you have the 1.6L shafts there is no way of fitting 307, or any other bigger OEM brakes.

The early Aus. GTi's had the 75kW DFZ engine with 1.6L running gear. Later cars >90, had 122hp engine and normal 1.9L running gear.

Edited by petert

Henry Yorke

Cheers Petert! Mine are staked so that puts he final nail in the coffin for them! (check out the double Dracula pun :D !)

Jakob

If you have the 1.6L shafts there is no way of fitting 307, or any other bigger OEM brakes.

The early Aus. GTi's had the 75kW DFZ engine with 1.6L running gear. Later cars >90, had 122hp engine and normal 1.9L running gear.

What is hub nut with spilt pin and staked hub nut. I have a CTI from 1993 as well and did just find out that any brake conversion won't fit due to the 1.6 hub. Just bought the 266mm brakes with brembo plates.

Anyway, how can I tell the differents in the driveshafts. Are they bigger in diameter at a GTI???

Edited by Jakob

pug_ham

On 205's this is true but I've seen (& owned) a 309 that had staked hub nuts & think I've heard of some aftermarket 1.9 driveshafts with staked hub nuts for a 1.9 205.

The easiest way to tell at first glance is by the hub imo, the flange the driveshaft fits through is solid on both the base model & 1.6 GTi where the 1.9 has two notches in the edge. See picture of a 1.9 hub below.

remmen_schijfoud1.jpg

Graham.

Man3

I've had 1.9 GKN shafts from GSF in the past and some of those have been staked, some have had a pin. Grahams way seems the most foolproof way to tell.

Sign in to follow this