• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
c_r_thomson

Worth Changin The Cambelt?

c_r_thomson

My new Pug has 79k on the clock and the cambelt was last changed at 52k but this was in 1999.

Is it worth my while just changing it, or should it be ok?

Ta, Craig

Russelltp

I'd say a 7 year old cambelt is due a change, certainly if the engine has been sat doing nothing for a long time as the belt will have been sat in one position.

Cost of a belt and possibly fitting vs cost of engine really.

c_r_thomson

Yeah, my thoughts exactly! How much should I be paying to have this done?

hengti

genuine pug belt = £20

labour = £100 ish plus (3 hours labour - or thereabouts)

i've always changed mine every 36k; don't think i'll do it again though, as the last one that came off looked barely worn (although it's a daily driver) - doing the right thing to change the belt after it's been on for that many years imo

Russelltp

Not sure on the cost of labour, did mine myself and as the engine is out the car access isn't hard, but the belt and tensioner came to about 20 to 25 quid.

c_r_thomson

Thanks guys, Where is the best place to get parts? Might give the job a go myself :P

hengti

definately a dealer for parts as important as these

just to add to the shopping list - genuine pug roller bearing tension mech (late cars only) = £30

last time i looked into this, i found out that the spring (which is a critical component - it provides the tension after all!) was no longer available as a genuine part; couldn't find a pattern one either!

best just hope the one you've got is still good

TEKNOPUG

You may as well replace the water pump while your at it.

Sandy

The OE cambelt is currently "Gates", they can be sourced cheaper elsewhere, the tensioners and waterpump should also be changed ideally.

c_r_thomson

Ok, just bought a cambelt, alternator belt, tensioner and water pump from pugspares. Think I've got a bit of a DIY session coming up! :D

First time i've done a cambelt so wish me luck!!!!!!

Oh Yeah! When i take the water pump out, all the water is gonna come out i'd imagine :D

How much do i put in and what's the coolant/antifreeze mix?

inferno

wouldnt generally worry about water pump unless it doesnt spin smoothly or shows signs that its leaked.

when you empty the water like that, put it all back together and top up to the max on the header tank. then run the engine with the header cap off, unscrewing any bleed screws till water runs out of them, keeping an eye on the water level.

always a good idea to run the hot air inside the car to ensure theres no airlock in the matrix, it should be warm quite quickly.

keep engine running untill fan cuts in and out, top it up, then replace the header cap. leave it running untill the fan kicks in once more to be sure.

before you start it after doing the cam belt, make sure the engine turns by hand 2 revolutions and the belt is still correct tension!!

Edited by inferno

c_r_thomson

Thanx inferno!

Any ideas on how much coolant/antifreeze to add?

hengti

6.6l in the 1.9 (50/50 antifreeze/water)

it's in Haynes (which you'll be needing if you're changing the cambelt yourself for the first time!)

Edited by hengti

c_r_thomson

Got my Haynes manual today, Parts on the way and the garage has been emptied.

Just gotta get the car now :D

pug_ham

Change it, they should be done on age or mileage imo, which ever comes round first.

36k or three years is a good time limit for changing a cambelt.

Graham.

trickywoo

I'm keen to do the cambelt / water pump on mine myself as well.

In the Haynes manual it says to jam the starter ring gear after getting access by removing the clutch bottom cover. Haynes gives no pictures or other details of this. I have no idea where this cover is and how easy it is to jam the ring gear once its off.

Any tips please.

pug_ham

Spend an extra £10 & get one of these.

It makes the job so much easier it pays for itself first use.

Graham.

c_r_thomson

Just ordered the locking device. How and where does it fit? Is the starter gear ring the toothed gear directly behind the crankshaft pulley?

Guest rick03054

The ring gear is the teeth on the flywheel.

I reckon I'll be buying one of those too, would make the job far easier.

pug_ham
Just ordered the locking device. How and where does it fit? Is the starter gear ring the toothed gear directly behind the crankshaft pulley?

Take off the metal plate held on by three 10mm bolts & it fits into the ring gear & then is held in place by one of the bolts. Its a good idea to find a slightly longer M6 bolt for this as the ones from the plate risk being pulled out when trying to undo the crank bolts.

Graham.

DirtyFlare
Spend an extra £10 & get one of these.

It makes the job so much easier it pays for itself first use.

Graham.

Can someone please post up a fresh link, or tell me the exact name for this tool?

As I'm looking to change my cambelt soon and I am sure this would help me.

Thanx

Sign in to follow this