• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DaveK

Car On Hubs

DaveK

mr haynes says i shouldnt put the weight of the car on the wheels with the driveshafts out, but is it ok to just do it anyways? since when was haynes ever right?

it wont have the whole weight of the car on it as the engine is coming out, just want to make the shell rolling

M@tt

i would have thought as a very temporary measure you'd probably be alright, obvioulsy as long as you connect the wishbone to the hub again or you will have problems B)

without the driveshaft you will put undue stress to the wishbone/hub joint so you dont want to move it round loads unless you really have to

DaveK

yea the wishbones are on lol. will it be alright sitting for a week or 2 without the engine?

gettin abit worried ill knacker the bearings

Phil H

Can you not stick the end of a driveshaft in, as all the wheel bearings etc fell onto my drive when I did this and rendered it scrap.

Mind you I did have to move mine.

DaveK

yea could try that, but then i risk the other end of the driveshafts bearings falling out lol......decisions decisions

nick-rallye

stick it on bricks pikey style, i had mine with no drive shafts for a while with no engine and havent noticed any problems really

DaveK
stick it on bricks pikey style, i had mine with no drive shafts for a while with no engine and havent noticed any problems really

genious, that'll do, cheers

Rob_the_Sparky

Wheel bearing is held together by the driveshaft so without some alternative arrangement to hold the bearing together it sounds like a bad idea. The rest of the suspension should be fine though as the strut and wbone do all the work.

Rob

d-9

Stick the driveshafts in and cable tie them onto the subframe. As long as you dont push it around to fast the cableties will hold the shafts off the ground.

DaveK
Stick the driveshafts in and cable tie them onto the subframe. As long as you dont push it around to fast the cableties will hold the shafts off the ground.

ok will do

how do you guys stop the bearings falling out of the other end of the drivesshaft? just duck tape them?

pugpete1108
ok will do

how do you guys stop the bearings falling out of the other end of the drivesshaft? just duck tape them?

what bearings would that be then?

inferno

i dropped my 309 on the front hubs today for a laff before the scrapman turned up... no bearings fell out!

Pug_101

Find a nice round stick of suitable size and put it were the driveshaft should go, it will hold the bearings in place.

d-9

The problem is not that the bearings fall out if you dont have shafts in, its that the weight of the car crushes the bearings and damages them. Unless you find a very strong stick, it wont help.

DaveK

ive just left the car sitting on axle stands so avoided the whole problem

thanks for the replies tho chaps, i know what to do in the future

pugpete1108

oh i see , i didnt realise you had split them , i have the same problem but didnt really think about it at the time ( i have wheeled it out ot the garage with no shafts in_ oops!) i hope i havent done any damage as i only replaced the bearings last year - bloody pig of a job-

i was thinking of using a big nut/bolt and washers to hold it all together ?!!?

would this work

Sign in to follow this