• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
24seven

1.6-1.9 Conversion & Head Gasket Change Advice

24seven

I'm told it's just the stroke that's different, so would it be a case of a different block? Or is it just the crank?

also, when replacing a head gasket, what other seals/gaskets need changing? Finally, what other work can be done to get a bit more life out of a 100k+ engine when replacing the head gasket? Sorta "two birds one stone" thing?

pug_ham
I'm told it's just the stroke that's different, so would it be a case of a different block? Or is it just the crank?

also, when replacing a head gasket, what other seals/gaskets need changing? Finally, what other work can be done to get a bit more life out of a 100k engine when replacing the head gasket? Sorta "two birds one stone" thing?

Crank, rods & pistons are all different.

Refurbish the head with three angle seats a skim & new valve stem oil seals.

Graham.

24seven

so changing those 3 could turn a 1.6 into a 1.9?

j_turnell

You would also need the AFM and ECU but it would be far easier and save you time and money to just buy a good 1.9 engine and drop it straight in.

24seven

may as well forget it then :blush:.

As far as gaskets go, if I'm skimming the head what would be an ideal skim depth and gasketthickness combination for a standard cam, i.e. what compression ratio would be optimal for this? I'm not entirely sure if the camshaft in this thing is factory spec or not (just bought it, was rally prepped by the owner before last and the guy I bought it off wasn't sure of 100% of the work done on it, except it was faaaast!) how would I find out?

sorry for all the questions. hopefully i'll learn enough to give back some advice one day, since I plan to stick around here :P.

Sign in to follow this