• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Bonzai

Changing Front Suspension

Bonzai

BINGO!

PICT0003.jpg

the strut went back together quite nicely but i couldnt manage to put it back in the hub without pulling the driveshaft out of the CV joint again.

started on the passenger side aswell today, once again the hub dropped and pulled the driveshaft out resulting in gearbox oil slick down my drive!

so far the lowered side sits about half a finger lower than the standard side, but i expect it will drop more once the car does a few miles again.

happy days all in all though

TEKNOPUG

That's a wierd looking strut - what make is it? :)

With regards to having to drop the hub so far that the drive shafts pops out - leave the top-mount nuts done up - otherwise it will keep dropping as you lower the hub.

Bonzai

its the GAZ adjustable. whats odd about it? was pretty much an exact replica of standard as far as i could tell, just a thicker piston rod

TEKNOPUG

Not the design just the finish.

Not see a shiny, unpainted one before.

Discs look fubar also....

Bonzai

yeh car has been on the drive stood still for 2 months, and that disc was exposed to rain for a couple days too. guess i'll be ordering some new ones shortly :wacko:

TEKNOPUG

Standard 1.9 discs are cheap as chips - just a big lump of iron.

Rob_the_Sparky

Just a note:

You actually don't have to compress the spring at all to get the strut off. The Pug methos stops the strut extending but the Haynes method is bollox as all it does is remove a bit of tension in teh spring, not stop the strut extending!

Not the first time that Haynes has been wrong but one that causes a lot of hassle.

Rob

Anthony
You actually don't have to compress the spring at all to get the strut off. The Pug methos stops the strut extending but the Haynes method is bollox as all it does is remove a bit of tension in teh spring, not stop the strut extending!

On GTi's that's certainly true, but some base models (309 is the one I'm thinking of) there's not enough travel on the wishbone to allow you to get the strut off without compressing the spring. Whilst that's not an issue 99% of people on here will see, I suspect that's where the info in the Haynes manual stems from.

Well, what info they didn't just dream up after a couple too many at the local anyhow... :D

Sam

A tip I got from Sandy is that you can use a 8mm sump key in between the strut clamp and turn it 45degrees and it will allow you to just slide the strut out. Easier than smashing the s*it out of the hub.

Sign in to follow this