• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stealth_pug

Stereo Setup

Ahl

For my SQ SPL UEFA system i've got a tamarin monkey with a triangle and a harmonica installed on the dashboard.

It gives a great live feel to the sound. I've almost taught him how to play "I think you look good on the dancefloor" but he keeps reverting to sectarian marching songs for some reason.

24seven
For my SQ SPL UEFA system i've got a tamarin monkey with a triangle and a harmonica installed on the dashboard.

It gives a great live feel to the sound. I've almost taught him how to play "I think you look good on the dancefloor" but he keeps reverting to sectarian marching songs for some reason.

:):(:D

Fair point with the sound staging in a 205 being difficult because of its size (I've not got anything other than a K&N and a group N exhaust for sound quality in mine ;)). For competition sound, you're right in that you want the sound stage to be a few metres in front of the dash, and a bit wider than the car. But that takes a lot of money to get it right, and a lot of tinkering time. For the average joe who just wants a better quality sysem, sound delays between front & rear and a 'live effect' sound stage are not gonna be on your mind really. If I thought this was going to be about competition sound systems, I wouldn't have posted since that sorta thing is way beyond me.

Didn't mean to piss anyone off, really. I'd have put more effort into it if I was :P

Paintguy
If I thought this was going to be about competition sound systems, I wouldn't have posted since that sorta thing is way beyond me.

And I think it was my fault for starting it off drifting that way :)

I'd agree with what you're getting at in your last post, most people simply want a decent system to listen to whilst driving, and are in no way bothered with all the messing about needed for an SQ type system. And I have no problem with that at all, if everyone liked the same thing, this world would be a very boring place!

I only took issue with you saying that a simple front- only speaker system would sound "cack", and that those enjoying such a sound were either deaf, lying, or retarded. I've certainly heard some very bad systems of that type, and wondered how the owners could even bear to listen to them, but they weren't bad because they had no rear speakers, they were just badly set up or installed.

Hopefully we can put all that behind us, and try and get back on track, but I'm definitely liking the monkey and harmonica idea! :(

24seven

Followed that advice myself today and bought a Macaque monkey. He kept crapping on the dash so I traded him for a crate of beer.

NoodleVille

just a quick thing to add to the sound staging issue with the 205 i have front components amped and on my head unit there is an option to delay different sounds to set up the stage.

head unit is the main priority in experience alpine are very very good multiple set up options i personally own a cda 9811R brilliant

stealth_pug

ok thanks for all the advice. I have decided to follow it and change the headunit first and have decided on the following

alpine

de Noir

As some men already noticed, it just might be the best solution to upgrade everything.

Ultimate solution, already mentioned here, might be amped front 13cm split-system speakers with passive/active coils + mono amped sub in the boot. 2-3-4 channel bridgeable amp would work miracles here, also some subtle damping mats in the doors.

You could also do very well without split-system speakers, as factory set the speakers position pretty high in the doors. Therefore there's really no much need for separate tweeter closer to your ear, as speakers themselves in original positions are already close enough!

Next thing you could do is to install 2nd pair od 13cms in factory positions at rear quarter panel.

These are also set reasonably close to ear-height of average tall men, I would go so far to state it's close to ideal.

These 4 13cms speakers run nicely with a middle-class HU, cover mids and highs very well, and create really nice sound picture, but you need to sort the lows to get the full monty.

Therefore, add a mono-amped sub in the boot, it's the cheapest and best solution for this setup.

Amped fronts in middle-class arrangement aren't really needed, as mids and highs get enough power and loudness from HU. Power is needed for the lows, therefore amped sub in the boot is essential.

So, it's your choice.

NoodleVille

awesome choice of headunit really nice setup options on this HU spot on :)

Paintguy
ok thanks for all the advice. I have decided to follow it and change the headunit first and have decided on the following

alpine

Looks like a great unit :)

If you haven't ordered yet, go and look in the sticky in the Group Buys section, as CAD offer forum members free UK delivery :P

Ren

With regard to soundproofing, don't bother with paying £15 a sq metre for Dynamat or similar, if you go to somewhere like B&Q buy roofers flashing tape. It does exacly the same job and is only about £15 for a large roll. This probably sounds a bodge way but it works, and when it's inside your doors it doesn't matter if there is not a logo on it.

Sign in to follow this