• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jonarob

Overheating Water And Water Disappearing

jonarob
When you say filled up have you literally just filled the reservoir bottle up and thats it?? If so you really need to open the bleed valves, refill and bleed the system fully, not just top up the bottle as air is obviously present in the system.

Right. Where are the valves? I'm haynes-less.

Also, how much will it take to fill the system?

aw11_hgt

Sorry to ask this do you have any mechanical experience?? If not, nip and get a manual for it (buy one verry cheaply on flea bay etc. New to the forum -does it have a knowledge base, whereby common subjects are covered?? If so check that out as well. If not ask if one on here can furnish you with photos as I'm inbetween pug's at the moment - however there not difficult to locate, as on most cars they are normally on the heater pipes (sorry I cannot be anymore help, I'm sure someone can help further). One other thing -if you've driven it around like this it doesn't bode well for the HG :o

jonD6B

Try the heater pipes by the bulkhead, one would have a cap on it about the size of a five pence piece. Unscrew it as normal until water flows freely from it screw it back in finger tight. Run the engine with the cap off for a few mins. to disperse any air circulating around the system, put the bottle cap back on, let the fan kick in and wait for it to cool to check the level again.

If you can't find a bleed screw you could always undo the jubilee clip on the top hose and purge the air out of there. :o

Edited by jonD6B

jonarob

Cheers.

Also, I haven't driven it around like this. It was one short journey where it began to overheat for around 30 seconds before i was able to park up and let it cool down before making the journey home.

jonD6B

If you bleed it properly and leave it with a full reservoir (Max. line) once cooled down and go back to it in the morning without driving it we should be able to deduce exactly what's up. :o

jonarob

Thanks for all of the help guys, but I feel a little silly now. There's a big puddle under my car.

Now I've gotta locate the leak :o

ada205

Hi Mate.

If the system is completely empty, then it'll take just over 6 litres (11ish pints) to fill up.

How much water are you putting in in each of these top up's? Are you sure theres no puddles under the car?

Try looking under the car for drips and leaks when the engines running, and obviously when theres plenty of water in the system, though be carefull no to confuse whats a leak, and whats water dripping after bleeding or refilling.

EDIT: Just seen you latest post! if it aint dripping as soon as you fill up the header tank, try starting the car like i say above, some leaks, like water pump, will show more when running.

Edited by ada205

jonarob

It seems to be dripping from the big pipe that comes from the passenger side of the radiator to what i think is the water pump. It's a rubber pipe and has probably gone a bit rotten over the years.

Anyone else seen this before?

ada205
It seems to be dripping from the big pipe that comes from the passenger side of the radiator to what i think is the water pump. It's a rubber pipe and has probably gone a bit rotten over the years.

Anyone else seen this before?

All pipes on 205's like splitting!

Do you mean the one that comes of the top right hand side of the rad as you look at the rad from the front of the car? If so, thats the top hose and goes to the stat housing...£15ish quid from Autofive, assuming your car aint got power steering, cheaper from a yard, but make sure it's a good one if you go that route.

Is it definately the pipe that's leaking? You can sometimes take the pipe off, chop the worn edges away and replace.

Edited by ada205

jonarob
All pipes on 205's like splitting!

Do you mean the one that comes of the top right hand side of the rad as you look at the rad from the front of the car? If so, thats the top hose and goes to the stat housing...£15ish quid from Autofive, assuming your car aint got power steering, cheaper from a yard, but make sure it's a good one if you go that route.

Yeah sounds like it. The big fat one that comes from the top right of the rad and seems to go onto the engine block. No power steering.

aw11_hgt

Glad it was something simple, probably best to go new if you can - on't forget to remake up the anti-freeze strength afterwards when refilling the final time. :o

jonD6B

The same pipe split on mine this afternoon by the clip that secures it. A 5min. drive to the scrappy and 10 mins to fit and refill, job done. :o

ada205
Yeah sounds like it. The big fat one that comes from the top right of the rad and seems to go onto the engine block. No power steering.

Yeah, thats the top hose. Just make 100% sure it's leaking from the hose, not rad or stat housing, then get another one. Nice and cheap compared to a head gasket eh?

I have got a top hose you could have, but it dont look to clever, and like aw11 said, probably best to go for a new one. I've just been trying to find a pic, but cant find one of the dam things anywhere. There must be some pics on the forum somewhere though.

jonarob

I'll just get a new one from the local EuroParts.

Thanks a lot though guys :o Hopefully this'll be the end of it!

Rob_the_Sparky

After you change it just keep an eye on the water level for a bit, just in case. The water level sensors rarely work!

Good luck

Rob

ada205
After you change it just keep an eye on the water level for a bit, just in case. The water level sensors rarely work!

Good luck

Rob

Good point. Found that out, nearly the expensive way, when the little s shaped pipe that lives at the back of the stat housing split on one of mine. Only the smell of burning antifreeze and steam pluming behind me alerted me to the fact i had no water! Hadnt noticed temp rising,& water light didnt show up for the party!!!

Also, am i right in thinking that the cooling fan wont come on if theres's no water in the rad? Cus mine didnt, but worked fine before and after pipe failure, but definatley wasnt working when i pulled over with sky high temp gauge and no water in the system!

aw11_hgt
Good point. Found that out, nearly the expensive way, when the little s shaped pipe that lives at the back of the stat housing split on one of mine. Only the smell of burning antifreeze and steam pluming behind me alerted me to the fact i had no water! Hadnt noticed temp rising,& water light didnt show up for the party!!!

Also, am i right in thinking that the cooling fan wont come on if theres's no water in the rad? Cus mine didnt, but worked fine before and after pipe failure, but definatley wasnt working when i pulled over with sky high temp gauge and no water in the system!

Pretty sure your right about the fan not working,as its a pressure switch that works it (I think)

jonD6B

The fan thermostat can't read the water temp. if there's no water to read, so it makes sense that it may not work.

ada205
The fan thermostat can't read the water temp. if there's no water to read, so it makes sense that it may not work.

Yeah, that's what i was thinking. Lucky i didnt need a HG after that one, but was ok and never missed a beat over the next 3 or so years, then i sold her. :(

Sign in to follow this