• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Richie-Van-GTi

Massive Scoring In Bores

Richie-Van-GTi

Took the head of my car last night due to suspected blown head gasket, down 30psi on pots 1 and 2 and spark plugs suffering oil soak on pots 2 and 3, anyway I found pots 2 and 3 to have major scoring in the liners and definatley the cause of the problems. So Ive put a newer bottom end in today and will finish building tomorrow. Just wondered, would I get away with new rings and liners for the old bottom end?? I effectivley have a complete engine that I can build up as a spare, which is probably wise since Ive 2 cars and both have 1.9 engines in. Also wheres the best place to get the liners etc?

PsychoSimon

if there is severe scoring then i would suspect piston damage as well.

Just remove one of the pistons from a damaged bore and see if it has scored down the side of that as well - my guess would be it has. If you think the bore wall is far harder than the piston, so th piston would get damaged first.

if the pistons are fine however then you will get away with new rings and liners yes

Regards,

Simon

Sign in to follow this