• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Man3

1.9 Td Timing Belt

Man3

I've just picked up a ZX 1.9td off Inferno as a bit of a run around whilst i finish my 205 off and i'd like to do the timing belt for my own piece of mind. How much of a ball ache is it? I have the skills and equipment to do it but is it going to make me throw all my tools across the garage? Do i need any special tensioning tools? I've found a good deal on a timing belt locking kit so that side is taken care of. Presumably its best that I stump up some extra cash for new tensioners or can i get away with leaving them?

I think the Head gasket is fine but is it worth me doing this whilst the belt is off? It looks like there are a few bits that need to come off, are they all straight forward to remove?

Cheers

Anthony

If the head gasket isn't blown, leave it well alone.

Timing belt is easy enough to do - argueably easier than Mi16 ones anyhow. As for the tensioner, ideally you should replace it (and the waterpump) but if it feels OK and is quiet in use then you can probably reuse it fine.

Man3

Cheers Anthony, a fountain of knowledge as always. Sadly or should that be thankfully i've only ever touched the belt on the Mi with it out of the car. What sort of psi/bar should they typically read on a compression test. I know that if they all read within a few psi of each other it should be fine but its still useful to know. Presumably i do the test through the glow plug appertures? as there is bugger all else.

Richie-Van-GTi

you need a proper derv tester asthey will be around 400psi, timing belt is easy and the tensioners generally last forever on them. Just loosen the 13mm lock nut and you can twist it back with a 1/2 inch ratchet as it has a square hole for this purpose.

Man3

I thought as much about the compression tester but wasn't 100% As for the tensioners the only thing that concerns me about them is that the belt that is on there seems to have picked up some sort of mettalic coating, presumably from the tensioners, then engine's done 160k by the way. But then again they didn't seem to be noisey.

ablister

you certainly don't want to do the headgasket if it's not needed!

Richie-Van-GTi

tensioner is easy enough to swap anyway.

Sign in to follow this