• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Deano1.6

Difficult To To Change Between 1st,2nd And 3rd

Deano1.6

I'm starting to lose my temper with my BE1 gearbox on my 1.6GTi now.

When its cold gear change is no problem but once its up to good running temp it is really really difficult to engage 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears, i've adjusted the clutch and changed the box oil (75/80 non-synthetic), theres play in the gear stick but this would not be affected by temp would it?

would be grateful for any advice because i am starting to hate driving this car!!

Cheers

Deano

Guest ashnicholls

was going to sugest adjusting the clutch and changing the oil but if you have done that, then i would say the syncros in the box have gone.

not got a clue, but thought I would take an educated guess.

mickie

hijacked :)

i've just finished re-building my engine and before i did it the gears used to crunch into 1st 2nd 3rd 4th think 5th was ok.. anyway ive changed my clutch and gear box oil and it seems to go into gear a lot better but it still has a little bit crunch into 2nd,

but in 2nd the gear stick comes all the way back and hits the handbrake..

is this normall ? the gear stick feels pretty loose in all gears too..

will this be my problem with crunchy gears ?

cheers

PumaRacing
I'm starting to lose my temper with my BE1 gearbox on my 1.6GTi now.

When its cold gear change is no problem but once its up to good running temp it is really really difficult to engage 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears, i've adjusted the clutch and changed the box oil (75/80 non-synthetic), theres play in the gear stick but this would not be affected by temp would it?

would be grateful for any advice because i am starting to hate driving this car!!

Cheers

Deano

The friction plate is probably sticking to the flywheel or pressure plate because of oil contamination from a leaking rear crank seal or not disengaging fully because of wear or weak/worn pressure plate springs. You could try pulling the handbrake on hard and slipping the clutch for a few seconds to see if any contamination burns off but it's likely a new clutch will be the cure plus fixing any oil leaks if applicable.

The longer you leave it the sooner you'll bugger all the synchros in the gearbox.

mickie

anyone ?

Rafe Dent

Change the gear linkages.

Quite easy and cheap (all those, or some of those, coat hanger type bits and bobs next to the exhaust on the end of the gear stick, if you jack it up). Turns a sloppy, crunchy, box of neutrals into a tight, brand new box. Or can. Did on mine anyway. 2nd always seemes to crunch on 1.6's when they're cold and old.

PS You can tell if they're worn by putting it in any gear and checking wobble from in-car and/ or underneath.

Sign in to follow this