• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ictoan

1.6 Gti. 105 Or 115bhp?

Guest Ictoan

Another question for you knowledgeable guys out there.

Can I tell which head I have without taking it off? The engine number starts B6D, it has taper seated plugs, is on a 1986 D reg 1.6 Gti first registered on 6/11/86 but it is a rally car so I cannot be 100% certain it is the original engine. It doesn't 'feel' like 115bhp, but that isn't a very accurate way of telling for sure.

What should I be looking for?

Thanks again,

Tim

pug_ham

Thats all you can go by without taking the head apart & measuring the valves & camshaft.

My old 309 SRi had a B6D 115bhp engine with taper seat spark plugs & that went well.

Graham.

Guest Ictoan

Thanks Graham. It looks like the head will have to come off then.

Tim

Miles

Just check the date stamp on the head, Anything after 04-86 will be the 115bhp version, Don;t forget some 1.6's feel very slow, It's all down to all engines being different. I;ve had one years ago checked it all and was even low milage and not that old at the time and you had a job to keep up with anything

pug309twin40s

also the 105bhp engine doesnt have the oil breather pipe connection on the rocker cover.

also as already said some 1.6's feel slower then other 1.6's.

my first 1.6 205 didnt feel that fast compared to my old 309 sri that was bl**dy quick

Guest Ictoan
Just check the date stamp on the head, Anything after 04-86 will be the 115bhp version,

Where abouts is the date stamp on the head?

Cheers, Tim

pug309twin40s
Where abouts is the date stamp on the head?

Cheers, Tim

usually on the bk of the cyl head just above where the exhuast manifold bolts on

Guest Ictoan

Thanks Pug, I will check it out.

markic
Just check the date stamp on the head, Anything after 04-86 will be the 115bhp version, Don;t forget some 1.6's feel very slow, It's all down to all engines being different. I;ve had one years ago checked it all and was even low milage and not that old at the time and you had a job to keep up with anything

MMMM interesting, my 1.6 first registered 21/6/86 with a date stamp 4/4is defo the 105bhp engine, also has the oil breather pipe coming off the rocker cover, I know this is the original engine as my uncle owned the car from new before selling it to me with a knackered head gasket 7 years ago. Which pretty much contradicts this whole thread!

steve@cornwall

Shouldn't the 105 have hex head bolts,not torx? (unless changed in the last 20 yrs)

Miles

The other differance, is when the engine's changed the dash clocks did to flat faced unlike the recessed dials most cars have, Side repeater's add, Different stalks for wiper's etc, Std passenger wing mirror to name a few

futura
also the 105bhp engine doesnt have the oil breather pipe connection on the rocker cover.

also as already said some 1.6's feel slower then other 1.6's.

my first 1.6 205 didnt feel that fast compared to my old 309 sri that was bl**dy quick

That's definitely true only 115bhp and 130bhp engines have the oil breather pipe connection on the rocker cover, 105bhp ones don't ;)

1.6L 105bhp:

cc_sport_1085493263_moteur_prise_tn.jpg

1.6 115bhp:

DSCN1092.JPG

Sign in to follow this