• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dino

1.9 Rear Beam - Thicker Torsion Bars/arb/neg Camber/grpn Dampers

richsmells

check shock bolts are tight. Mine thumped for a while and after i tightened them up it went away!

smckeown
bloody hell thats a lot of toe! looking good dino! sod 3mm get some 15mm hub centric and benefit from extra width too! :blush:

In this pic you can see (or try to) what 1 deg of neg. camber looks like, hardly noticable. I think yours is far too much, and you'll possibly see inner tyre wear, maybe even less grip on average

Dino

I've found out that the most that the camber on mine could be is 1.5deg (which is still more than originally thought)

Have also realised that the front mounts on the beam are solid items so could possibly explain the loudness and tnedancy to crash over serious bumps :wacko:

Alastairh

I was goin gto say, it looks like my beam on TWT.

Which you saw on Sunday, after it properly went bang with a huge pile of smoke.

smckeown
I've found out that the most that the camber on mine could be is 1.5deg (which is still more than originally thought)

Well it certainly looks loads more than that

Ren

Cheers for your old beam Dino, gonna fit it tomorrow if I have time. Hope you sort yours out and get used to it.

Ren.

tom_m

the toe might be exaserbating the amount of percieved negative camber in the pics, it certainly looks a lot, but may not be so in person, or in reality, i'd hesitate to cast doubt on your beam from seeing pics alone mate!

running negative camber will always affect tyre wear differently compared to standard, i'm sure dino took this into account, but if the rear is anything like the front negative camber just evened out the wear, compared to the outside edge wear without it!

yeah solid mounts will certainly transmit road noise and bumps pretty efficiently!

Dino

Well I discovered what the banging and crashing over bumps was last night.......turns out that the wheel bearings have worked themselves loose on the pin :P

Tightened them up but the wheel bearings are fooked now (were brand new too) so a new set is on their way along with a set of 5mm spacers to stop the rear wheels rubbing and a stud conversion kit :)

Let's hope all is well once this little lot goes on......

Edited by Dino

tom_m

s*it mate thats no good! glad you found the problem tho!

Dino

Well the wheel bearings were changed and fitted along with spacers and a stud kit but the problem remained.

Yesterday I was down at X Sport getting the beam checked out and it turns out that one of the shafts that goes in the pin isnt quite right but the funny thing is that everyone who has seen it doesnt think it looks that bad! Ended up having both shafts changed and both sets of bearings for good measure and hey presto! No more cracking and banging noises!

I went out for a thrash last night and all I can say is WOW! The cornering is simply sublime now, you really can take the piss and throw it arond a lot! The car feels much more planted now even in a straight line and the ride quality hasn't been affected too much by the stiffer set up either.

Thanks again to Miles and Greg for sorting it out for me. It''s a shame one of the shafts was buggered but at least I didnt have to pay for having that one supplied/fitted :mellow: Top work by them and once again always a good day spent down there!

Alastairh

Happy days.

Powers

Are you now selling the modified stub axles - As seen on Ebay?

Not on there any longer!! You must have liked the cornering ability too much!

Edited by Powers

jonah

Am a bit intrigued by this stub axle modification. I had to change both my stub axles the other week as they had bent in a rally. It changed the camber alright (positive in my case), but it also caused play in one of the wheel bearings, which sounds exactly like what you had Dino. From looking at the trailing arm design this seems inevitable if you bend the stub axles as the bearings won't be clamped together squarely, unless the trailing arm itself is also machined to compensate.

When you say the shafts were replaced - do you mean the stub axles? With standard ones? So the camber and toe are back to standard?

BTW I have a pair of bent stub axles (each about 1 degree) going spare if anyone wants to try a homebrew rear camber / toe mod! :mellow:

Dino

Gonna stick with the neg camber and toe in for now. Only time will tell if it affects tyre wear too adversly.

I have had the shafts that go from the arm into the beam tube changed.

I'm assuming that the wheel bearings failed due to the wheels rubbing on the inner arch (a consequence of the camber) but this has now been rectified with spacers.

Sign in to follow this