• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
petert

Oil Pump Modification

petert

There's been plenty said on this forum about 16V oil control. Here's how I do it, after fitting a 15mm spacer to a trap door alloy sump (either 1.9L 8V or 2L) and topping up with 6.5L of oil.

A ring, the same shape as the pickup is cut out of aluminium plate on a CNC mill. The plate is then TIG welded to the pickup. Socket head cap screws are used to retain the screen and cover. This allows complete cleaning of the pickup in the event of any more mishaps.

If you're good enough to get oil surge after using this setup, together with a windage tray, you need a dry sump solution. It's a tried and proven race car solution.

You can purchase either just the ring, or a completed pickup sub-assembly.

Kitsune

How does this help (for the simpletons amongst us)?

Anthony
How does this help (for the simpletons amongst us)?

In simple terms, the deeper sump and extended oil pickup mean that you have approximately an extra 1.5 litres of oil in the sump, and the baffles help to keep the oil near the pickup. Or in other words, it's much more difficult to get to the point where there's no oil around the oil pump pickup which causes oil starvation.

Kitsune

I see, I wasn't aware that the the 8v sump was 'deeper'. But having read through that again properly, and seeing that a 15mm spacer plate has been fitted, it makes sense now.

Having one of those moments!

Anthony
I see, I wasn't aware that the the 8v sump was 'deeper'. But having read through that again properly, and seeing that a 15mm spacer plate has been fitted, it makes sense now.

You have to be a bit careful, as in the UK the 1.9 GTi (XU9JA/XU9JAZ) sumps are the shallow design like Mi's, whereas they're deeper (like 1.6's) over in Austrailia. Basically you need a petrol sump other than a 1.9 GTi or 1.9 Mi16, and you need the spacer/stiffener from the 1.9 GTi or 1.9 Mi16

Clear as mud?

Rob_the_Sparky

I won't ask how you know which sump is fitted to an Aussy 205! You geek you

saml666

Glad I found this thread, it was referred to elsewhere...

Erm, being a real pug newbie I don't know for sure what I have and where to special bits, so, any chance you could put a shopping-list up for the bits I need, already have and where I can get them.

I have a 1.9 alloy block Mi16 engine and a knackered 1.9 8v - do I take it though that I need a sump from somewhere else completely?

Both sumps had spacer plates - hey, could you just double up on those?

I have a brand new oil pump and 2 old ones to practice with, can anyone sell me the bits I need?

Sorry to sound dumb, but, er, I am I guess :D

Cheers, Sam

petert

Sorry, I forgot our sumps are different. I am referring to the 1.6L A/C alloy sump, which is the same depth as the 2L sump. Neither had the 15mm spacer plate.

If you can weld Sam, I can sell you the pump extension. It only weighs less than 100 grams, so it's cheap to post to the UK.

Bonzai

i'd be intrested in one peter

petert
i'd be intrested in one peter

no problems, $40 plus a few bucks for postage.

Kitsune

Would it be worth trying a group buy?

Mandic

I have made same mod myself, took a pipe of pickup lip diameter, cut it, and filled the gap with a plate and then weld it all up and grinded the surface until it was flat.

costed me 20 quid.

Cheers

Ziga

Man3

I'd be interested in this, can you pm me with details for payment etc.

saml666
Sorry, I forgot our sumps are different. I am referring to the 1.6L A/C alloy sump, which is the same depth as the 2L sump. Neither had the 15mm spacer plate.

If you can weld Sam, I can sell you the pump extension. It only weighs less than 100 grams, so it's cheap to post to the UK.

Well I know a man that can, so at the risk of sounding stupid (except I do it all the time) what model should I be looking for in breakers here in the UofK to get a deep sump?

Also, can you supply a diagram of the baffles atall? Or again which sump / part nos to take to Peugeot.

Sorry to lay so many questions on you but I'm eager to get this right - am also going to try Cartooners new oil drain from the head by drilling the block.

I'd be happy to play host to a group buy also (is that how it works?) so if anyones interested PM me (or is it Peter, am I being too keen?)

Cheers, Sam

Bonzai

you need an xu10 sump (gti6, s16 etc). i think miles has some. ive sourced one from psooc hence me needing this pump spacer.

its either this or run without a sump spacer which has unconfirmed results as far as i could gather.

Bonzai
no problems, $40 plus a few bucks for postage.

so thats about £20 or so?

what are your thoughts on group buy? i imagine theres not much money to be saved with something like this?

Ben

B1ack_Mi16
so thats about £20 or so?

what are your thoughts on group buy? i imagine theres not much money to be saved with something like this?

Ben

I think 40$ AUS is more like 16.5-17£ :D

petert

Sorry, I couldn't possibly do a group buy on this. $40 is approx. £17. The mat'l costs $10 alone. All I can say is that's it's extremely well made. A CNC mill spots the centres for the eight holes, then cuts out the profile. The holes are tapped 1/8" BSW. If you just buy the extension you would need to use it as a template, drilling 2.5mm holes into the screen and cover, later enlarging to 1/8".

Bonzai

yep book me in, i want one

• Like 1

James_R
yep book me in, i want one

No you mean two :)

Alan_M

Is that £17 for the ring alone, or for the pick-up extension with ring welded to it?

petert

$40 for just the ring, $80 for the assembled pickup.

Rik

Peter - how about some contact details? i have paypal

Sign in to follow this