• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest mk1_salami

Engine Cutting Out Intermitantly

Guest mk1_salami

Hi all,

I have a 205 GTi 1.9 and I'm having problems with it cutting out. I've just replaced the whole exhaust system including the manifold, and when it is running the car is sweet.

The engine cuts out - almost like someone has switched it off. There is no coughing or spluttering before it happens. Then after this the car will not start. I can hear the starter motor trying, but the engine does not turn over.

I've replaced all the HT leads today and the distributer cap. Any ideas what could be wrong?! :)

j_turnell

Sounds like the coil or ignition amp to me.

Guest mk1_salami
Sounds like the coil or ignition amp to me.

Also - the car always starts when its cold...

Also - the car always starts when its cold...

//edit - actually the engine DOES turn over - but doesn't fire into life.

ada205

When the car cuts out, can you remember if the rev counter stilll works when coasting? If not, main suspect is ignition amp or dizzy.

Guest mk1_salami
When the car cuts out, can you remember if the rev counter stilll works when coasting? If not, main suspect is ignition amp or dizzy.

When the car cuts out the engine completely switches off - the rev counter drops to 0 straight away.

Ahl

It does sound ignition related then. Another idea, is it possible the car has a faulty immobiliser on it? Perhaps one you don't know about?

ada205

Hi again mate.

Your problem sounds almost exactly the same as one i've now had twice. I say almost, cus mine would some times stutter slightly before cutting out, but usually showed no signs at all, just complete, sudden cut out. This is the link to post with my symptoms http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=58735 This turned out to be caused by the distributor...Twice!!

Also check out this link and look at what Anthony has to say on the first page http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...hl=timing+pulse

Good luck mate.

Guest mk1_salami

The car does have an immobilser - but I thought it would stop the car trying to start at all. Is it possible it would still try and not spark into life?

When the car cuts out, it will not start straight way. I'll usually have to leave it around 45mins and it;ll work again.

ablister

Maybe worth checking (if you haven't already before) to see if the plugs are sparking when you turn the engine over or if fuel is getting into the engine. This may trace the fault to ignition/injection etc

Guest LittleRocket

I've got a similar problem to this one. My car just cuts out while driving. I've bought a Bosch Ignition Amp from Ebay for £1.70 (bargain I thought!), is it easy to fit? Where do I get paste from to protect it from heat? Where do I need to put this paste? Rick

Guest LittleRocket

Done a search and seems Maplins is my best bet. So I just cover the back of the plate and screw it on? Simple as it sounds?

dd_156ar
Done a search and seems Maplins is my best bet. So I just cover the back of the plate and screw it on? Simple as it sounds?

Yep, unplug the old one and unscrew from the mounting. Smear the paste on the back of your new one, screw onto mounting and reconnect and you're away...

max0

i had a similar problem and it was due to the tacky relay cutting the fuel pump.

Guest LittleRocket
i had a similar problem and it was due to the tacky relay cutting the fuel pump.

Came to start it tonight after it has been standing for a few days and couldn't get it going. Swapped the ignition amp - and same thing - engine wouldn't quite spark into life. Eventually got it going but it was running horribly. Swapped spark plugs for some in slightly better condition and still wouldn't get going (only started once then couldnt manage it again). Putting in to a garage on Monday morning - just hoping I can get it going to get to there. I'm going to take off the dizzy cap and have a clean round in there next - as long as it gets me the 2 miles to the garage I'll be happy. Anything I can do to the tachy relay to just get it working for 5 minutes till someone can have a proper look at it?

luggy

Before you take it to the garage try cleaning the the king lead connection on the coil with either some emery paper or fine sandpaper just to try and improve the connection as it can sometimes corrode and weaken the spark. Could it possibly be you bought a dodgy ign amp off ebay? and then onto the tachy relay as Max0 mentioned

Luggy

Edited by luggy

max0
Came to start it tonight after it has been standing for a few days and couldn't get it going. Swapped the ignition amp - and same thing - engine wouldn't quite spark into life. Eventually got it going but it was running horribly. Swapped spark plugs for some in slightly better condition and still wouldn't get going (only started once then couldnt manage it again). Putting in to a garage on Monday morning - just hoping I can get it going to get to there. I'm going to take off the dizzy cap and have a clean round in there next - as long as it gets me the 2 miles to the garage I'll be happy. Anything I can do to the tachy relay to just get it working for 5 minutes till someone can have a proper look at it?

mine cut out in the middle of a street, its up near the ecu near your right leg. I tapped it a few times with the end of a screw driver and it got me to the end of the street. I then took the cover of it and had a bit of a play with it (got me home) be careful when taking the cover off. Does sound like a fuling problem. Try a second hand relay - there is normally a few for sale for around £10 on the forum. Could be a air leak so id check all the air pipes as well

Andy

Edited by max0

jeremy

Try traciing all the wiring from the coil, AFM, and amplifier. As I too had a problem with all the electrics just dieing. This turned out to be wires shorting on the drivers inner wing leading to the amplifier. I have also had a similar fault, and this was due to a faulty immobiliser. Both of the above faults were easy to cure by insulating the wires and bypassing the immobiliser, costing me pennies. So just make sure you're happy that you have done as much as possible even if just visible checking all connections.

Guest LittleRocket

I got it going eventually. Turned out to be just a weak spark. Cleaned inside the dizzy cap and rotor arm - also swapped the AFM for one off my old 205, and swapped the plugs. Turned out the fuel mixture was too rich - leaving the plugs all sooted up and causing the weak spark. So I put it into the garage for a service - they reset tick over, changed fuel mixture, replaced oil and filter and changed fuel and air filter - £150. Drove it home in traffic - so no chance to give it a good run out - decided to take it for a quick spin in the evening when the traffic had cleared. Got in and it wouldn't bastarding start again. This time it was different - engine wasn't even cranking over. Got an auto-electrician out and he's said the starter motor is dead. Ahh the joys of 205 ownership! :(

Guest LittleRocket

I'm getting annoyed now. Had it towed to a garage, where they fitted a brand new starter (old one was burnt out apparantly!), and this was going to come to £235. They just phoned me to say that the problem is actually the ignition, which had lead to the starter motor being burnt out. They've now had to take it somewhere else to diagnose what the ignition problem is. Getting very pissed off now! Anyone any ideas what part of the ignition is likely to have been at fault? I'd already replaced the ignition amp with one from ebay - but was having problems with the old one anyway! :D

Guest LittleRocket

It's been a week since I put it in the garage now. Spoke to the garage owner last night - and he's really struggling to find the problem. It's now running, but then starts to splutter and cuts out. There is a good spark, fuel pumps working fine - he thinks it might be the fuel injectors. He's getting someone to come and look at them now. Any other ideas? Anyone else think it'll be the injectors - or can someone think of a more obvious solution. I've had the fuel mixture and idle speed set already.

luggy

When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

Guest LittleRocket
When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

About 2 weeks ago - that was one of my first thoughts. Cheers anyway matey!

steve@cornwall

Blue temp sender under dizzy is probably u/s- telling the ecu its cold and flooding with fuel!- fine when it actually is cold..check to see if the oil smells of petrol. Pretty chesp to replace anyway, I believe.

Guest LittleRocket
Blue temp sender under dizzy is probably u/s- telling the ecu its cold and flooding with fuel!- fine when it actually is cold..check to see if the oil smells of petrol. Pretty chesp to replace anyway, I believe.

Cheers - I've got to ring them back tomorrow when the fuel injection guy has been in. If they're still struggling I'll either mention it to them or get them to bring it back to my house and try and sort it myself.

Guest LittleRocket
:blink: The garage has said that it's dangerous to drive - and if it was his car he'd cut his losses. It's going now - but he's said driving its risking it bursting into flames. It's spitting petrol out through the dipstick - is this just a case of broken piston rings? How difficult/expensive are these to replace? Getting tired of it now ;)

Sign in to follow this