• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest antgel

Non-starter Motor

Guest andyfitz

Well from what I understand if the multiplug terminals are not to badly corroded you can clean them up and they will be ok, otherwise soilder new wires and just do away with the plug.

You may be able to buy the plug from pug but I would just solider some nice join wires instead ;)

Guest antgel

Just an update, since replacing the starter motor with a recon (Lucas on the box but Valeo on the unit), all has been hunky-dory. Went to Paris and back last week, 550 miles in a day, good as gold, not bad for a French car. :D My friend had never driven one but was well impressed, even though motorway cruising isn't its forte. Thanks to all who helped me along the way. Next job is the cold start issue (SAD, I'm looking at you!)...

stutto

Had two exams today, so I went to college and back twice. It failed to start only on the return leg of the first exam. I guess temperature has nothing to do with it (exams were 3 hours each) and it is just a bad connection thing. Turning the key is a kind of roulette! :wacko:

luggy

Had the origional starter motor in mine 89 1.9 up until early march, bushes were completely gone. Replaced it with a new one, had nothing but problems with it, usual clicking solenoid, varying starter motor speeds, checked the brown multiplug and routed it direct to the solenoid to no avail, checked the earths no change. Last couple of weeks with the weather getting hotter the solenoid click was getting worse, so did the wire from the + battery terminal to the solenoid, and seemed 2 work for emergencies only, but got to a point where this didnt work in hot weather, turns out it was a dodgy solenoid on a brand new frigging starter. :wacko: WINNER

Pete C

Very useful thread guys, goes some way to answering one of the age-old mysteries of 205 ownership for me. Between myself and my friends we've owned getting on for ten 205 GTis, and have all had this to some extent at some point :)

I can vaguely picture this brown plug of which you speak, so I'm off to check mine out as soon as I get in. I'm praying it is that simple! :(

EDIT: P.S. - first proper post on the forum, woo!

Edited by Pete C

Pete C

Can anyone tell me what other wires run through that brown plug apart from the starter solenoid wire? :)

jackherer
Can anyone tell me what other wires run through that brown plug apart from the starter solenoid wire? :)

oil pressure gauge

oil pressure light

oil temp gauge

water temp gauge

water temp light

alternator/battery warning light

stutto

After my last non start I used a copa-slip on the plug and everything seemed fine - for a week. I had a non start after work and went back in to get one of the engineers to look at it for me. He took my key and said that it started every one of the ten times that he tried. He said it could be ignition related.

The last couple of times that I have had a non start a bit of controlled key wiggling has got her started.

Which bit will I need to replace? ie is the switch separate to the barrel or is it new key time?

Edited by stutto

Rob_the_Sparky

Don't replace things at random, get a meter for a very few quid and test it. Find out what is wrong and replace it or at least find out what is not wrong so waste less money replacing perfectly good items.

So few people have got meters out and checked them that there is no easy "what to replace" answer. I have my suspicions having tested one of mine (and subsequently fixed it with a bit of wire and a few crimp connectors) and it is not anything generally mentioned on here!

Oh and it is generally starter solenoid related, or more accurately the power feed to the starter solenoid from the ignition.

Rob

Guest Aggs

Thanks for the info. chaps, but a bit confused why this only happens when car is hot.

I use my car for short runs everyday and it starts fine and is reliable , but when i use for a long run it sometimes will not start.

Or on Saturday weather was hot and had problem with startingafter fairly short run.

I rocked the car quite vigorously in 2nd gear and then it started after a tip from a mate.

Previous to this it has needed to cool down, before starting.

stutto

Well my problem got worse to the point where it was struggling to start sometimes with a wire direct from the battery to the solenoid, so I've changed the starter.

I'm guessing that the solenoid was worn or sticking and that at first a full 12v, which I never got through the original wiring, would be enough but gradually it got worse. (I now have a replacement wire running from just after the ignition through a relay direct to the solenoid - avoiding the thieving fuse box and brown multiplug)

I'm crossing my fingers that it was the starter or I may feel even more foolish in my next post. :)

Time will tell and I'll post again if I do have more problems.

stutto

Well I have had more problems. The car failed to start when I was out on Sat so I called the AA. Actually managed to start it just before they turned up, got him to have a look and he said that the alternator looked a bit weak - so I replaced it Monday night.

Had problems again last night after filling up with petrol :blink:

Changing the battery in a few minutes for a diesel one.

Will post again if I have more problems.

Summary - diesel starters may be better but are likely to give you headaches to fit ie brackets/hoses may need modifying or replacing and you will probably need a bigger battery.

Rob_the_Sparky

Stutto: New starter, direct wire and still won't start? I too am confused if this is the case.

Aggs: Standard symptoms, I'm guessing the solenoid needs more current when hot making the problem show its self.

Sign in to follow this