• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rippthrough

<20mm Hubcentric Spacers?

Rippthrough

AS in the title, someone I know asked me to see if anyone can get these/machine a set up. He's using peugeot hubs for something (god knows what) but needs at least 12mm more clearance, preferably less than 20mm. However he wants the type of spacer that bolts to the hub, then the wheel bolts to the spacer, as he reckons it saves a lot of time when changing wheels. (He does autocross type stuff). Only needs one axle set but would take 2 depending upon price

Had a look around but haven't spotted any yet, apart from one set at £70 per axle :)

Can anyone help?

petert
AS in the title, someone I know asked me to see if anyone can get these/machine a set up. He's using peugeot hubs for something (god knows what) but needs at least 12mm more clearance, preferably less than 20mm. However he wants the type of spacer that bolts to the hub, then the wheel bolts to the spacer, as he reckons it saves a lot of time when changing wheels. (He does autocross type stuff). Only needs one axle set but would take 2 depending upon price

Had a look around but haven't spotted any yet, apart from one set at £70 per axle :)

Can anyone help?

My goodness! I'd make them for 50 quid a side!

Honestly though, I've made them before, but you can't buy the aluminium for the price you can buy them on Ebay. It costs AUS$50 just for the aluminium for two, and most of it goes in the scrap bin.

Edited by petert

sonofsam

Ali block plate isnt that expensive,especially 20mm ..

I've got off-cuts to use,but still plenty of machining and tapping to do.

Those ones would require a tapered bore i think

Rippthrough

I've got off-cuts to use,but still plenty of machining and tapping to do.

Those ones would require a tapered bore i think

No idea - any questions anyone has I can relay at the weekend if i don't see him earlier.

(Because I want to find out what he's up to :) )

C_W

Is aluminium hard enough to be bolting wheels up to? ie the thread strength? I'd have thought it would be a different thing bolting the spacer to the hub ten the wheel to the spacer than just sandwiching the spacer with long bolts directly to the hub?

sonofsam
Is aluminium hard enough to be bolting wheels up to? ie the thread strength? I'd have thought it would be a different thing bolting the spacer to the hub ten the wheel to the spacer than just sandwiching the spacer with long bolts directly to the hub?

yeh i did wonder this myself,maybe depends on what grade of material you go for.

a helicoil could always be incorparated into the design or thread all holes as neccarsary.

maybe steel would be a better option for those kind of spacers

Paintguy

I can see how he'd want 'fixed' spacers, to make wheel changing easier, but what about using a stud & nut conversion with normal spacers. That should at least locate them. I think M@tt has some 15mm ones that may be going spare.

Maybe something could also be fashioned using one of the disc locating screw-holes in the hub, to fix them in place even more.

petert

but you need 30mm to make a 20mm spacer - 20mm of spacer plus 10mm for the wheel to locate on

sonofsam
but you need 30mm to make a 20mm spacer - 20mm of spacer plus 10mm for the wheel to locate on

yeh point taken,personally myself,i would use 20mm (because it's cheap) then make a 5mm spigot,seeing as its only for location .

petert

By "fixed spacer", doesn't he just mean using longer countersunk (or counterbored cap screw) M6x1 screws that hold the spacer and disc rotor to the hub?

I found a cheaper place to buy 30mm plate off cuts from today, but it's still AUS$20 per side.

gti_al
By "fixed spacer", doesn't he just mean using longer countersunk (or counterbored cap screw) M6x1 screws that hold the spacer and disc rotor to the hub?

I found a cheaper place to buy 30mm plate off cuts from today, but it's still AUS$20 per side.

If you are serious about that i will definately take a set... I got a quote today and the place wanted nearly $300 for one axle. (for 10 or 15mm- to get 405 rims on) I think they may have been taking the piss, but everywhere seems to be fairly expensive...

petert

sorry, I meant $20 for the mat'l for one wheel. $300 is a bit steep! How hard is to watch a CNC machine??? How thick did you want them? I still think cast ones on Ebay are excellent value.

gti_al
sorry, I meant $20 for the mat'l for one wheel. $300 is a bit steep! How hard is to watch a CNC machine??? How thick did you want them? I still think cast ones on Ebay are excellent value.

I was thinking that even after you had done the work it would still work out at under $300... I just need them thick enough to get 405/206 rims on anyway - i'm pretty sure that is 10mm.

And that Mi16 i was in touch about sounds a bit dodgy... i think i might hang on for a couple of months and get a whole car and do it properly.

sonofsam

Yeh i guess so,i just thought it may be more economical to buy 20mm sheet and a 10mm sheet.

so instead of having to machine the thickness off the 30 to get the 20,you would have the thickness already there.

8 holes equi spaced on a 108 pcd ,4 holes countersunk,or whatever you fancied

Then machine out the back of the spacer for hub fitment,then machine the front to accept a 10mm spigot for location,then less material is wasted and you have a near on solid spacer,may prove cheaper,i dunno.

just thinking out loud :(

sam.

Rippthrough
Yeh i guess so,i just thought it may be more economical to buy 20mm sheet and a 10mm sheet.

so instead of having to machine the thickness off the 30 to get the 20,you would have the thickness already there.

8 holes equi spaced on a 108 pcd ,4 holes countersunk,or whatever you fancied

Then machine out the back of the spacer for hub fitment,then machine the front to accept a 10mm spigot for location,then less material is wasted and you have a near on solid spacer,may prove cheaper,i dunno.

just thinking out loud :P

sam.

Someone's bored :)

I'll ask about stud + nut conversion when I see him, but he must have a reason because he usually uses studs.

Rippthrough
Someone's bored :)

I'll ask about stud + nut conversion when I see him, but he must have a reason because he usually uses studs.

Ok, I rung him to find out what on earth he was up to B)

Turns out him and his lad are building a small off road buggy out of what spares they have in the workshop. 205 hubs, tubualr chassis, vw engine + torsion bar suspension. Anyway, he hasn't got any spare wheels to fit, so thy were going to just use the one of his runabout (306 estate) until he had time/materials to make some up, hence he can't just use longer bolts, and his lathe is knackered so he can't machine the spacers himself until the new one arrives (a few months away).

I suggest the studs + nuts but he says he prefers bolts if he can, as he'd have to take the hubs off otherwise to get it into the trailer, there's only an inch either side to the wall :P

I personally would have measured the trailer first B)

sonofsam
Someone's bored B)

B) you dont know the meaning of the word,till you've worked on a lathe, day in day out :)

it sucks ,but free metal is my bonus :D

Sounds like your mates are in a bit of a tight spot then :P

has he got a band-saw,pillar drill and maybe some flap wheels,oh and a bast*rd file would come in handy :P

You can buy billet by the bar

Bodge em' for now or pay the money !?

Rippthrough
:lol: you dont know the meaning of the word,till you've worked on a lathe, day in day out :blink:

it sucks ,but free metal is my bonus :D

Sounds like your mates are in a bit of a tight spot then :P

has he got a band-saw,pillar drill and maybe some flap wheels,oh and a bast*rd file would come in handy :unsure:

You can buy billet by the bar

Bodge em' for now or pay the money !?

Got a pillar drill + bandsaw, why?

Henry Yorke

I have M@tts spacers at my house as they don't help with my 405 (ET25) wheels, so I will stick to my studs and 10mm spacers.

I also have some Ford to Peugeot ones with adjustable spigot rings etc, but these are teh long bolt type, not the bolt onto the hub ones.

Let me know if they are of interest, I'm only in Sheffield!!!

Rippthrough
I have M@tts spacers at my house as they don't help with my 405 (ET25) wheels, so I will stick to my studs and 10mm spacers.

I also have some Ford to Peugeot ones with adjustable spigot rings etc, but these are teh long bolt type, not the bolt onto the hub ones.

Let me know if they are of interest, I'm only in Sheffield!!!

We've got a set of M@tt's I think, they don't fit Pug wheels do they? Or have you got a different type?

Sign in to follow this