• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest slindborg

Poxy Headgasket

Guest slindborg

evening,

the GF's 106 1.1 spi decided to vent its coolant into the oilways and out the back of the head this evening.... oh joy... please let me be the one to repair it lol.

anyway looking at gasket sets and http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HEAD-GASKET-SET-PEUG...1QQcmdZViewItem comes up.... correct me if im wrong BUT can i only see an exhaust manifold - head gasket and a head gasket, but no inlet to head gasket???!?!? do they go on with no gasket? Id have read the manual but its down at the garage and its dark.

also can the bolts be reused or is it a once only job?

and finally any cute little things that haynes neglects to tell you when doing this? (mind you ill be ignoring it till refit time lol)

cheers

Guest Nuno205Rallye

Head bolts are the Stretch bolt type, you can only use them once.

When you remove the head, do not (and I say DO NOT) turn the crankshaft whatsoever, or else the liners will lift and the O-rings at the base of the liner will not seal properly again.

All TU engines that I have seen do not have a intake manifold gasket, the gasket is made with a sealing compound.

macaroni

It isn't a difficult job on a TU engine, but like Nuno says, once the head is off, don't turn the engine or will enter a whole world of problems.

I have gaskets on my inlet manifold. They came in the gasket set.

I have done this job on my car (205xs) twice now and the 2nd time it was a doddle.

TB_205GTI
Head bolts are the Stretch bolt type, you can only use them once.

Depends if they still are within the tolerances, then it's fine to reuse them.

Guest slindborg

superb, thanks gents. Ill get it timed up before pulling the head off.

Guest BrainFluid
Depends if they still are within the tolerances, then it's fine to reuse them.

What is the stretch limit? The haynes manual says to look in the specs part in the book and it will tell you there but i couldnt find it for the life of me.

Nate.

Guest slindborg

"half" way through it...

which monkey designed the cambelt cover needs a damn good beating lol.

had to smash most of it off lmao.

head appears fine with the coolant - oilways breached ina few places.. ill take it to a machine shop for a facing though.

macaroni

The cambelt cover? Whats the matter with it? Just a few 10mm bolts to undo, a bit of wiggling and out it pops. Surely?

Guest slindborg

maybe in a 205... but not in a 106. if you didnt want to mod the chassis youd have to whip the engine out to get the alternator off lmao.

Guest Nuno205Rallye

Awww Come on!!

I changed the Timing belt, water pump and tensioners in my 106 GTI... and believe me, the TU5J4 takes up lots more space than the 8 valver :P

Guest slindborg

well that job sucked lol.

after the skim etc i rebuild this morning.. lovely.

im going to make her sell it and get a GM as they are a piece of wee to work on :P

macaroni

Language!

Wash your mouth out with soap young man!

Guest Nuno205Rallye

Have you ever though why GM's are so easy to work on?

Maybe because they need work done on them very often :)

Guest slindborg

grrrrrrrrrrrr flucking thing

took it for a longer drive today, shut the heater matrix off and it "over heats" (or rather that highly informative light comes on) and as soon as the matric is reopened and the fan on the light goes off.

The rad is hot, all hoses are hot, its fairly well bled.... oil and water no longer appear to be mixed. WTF is wrong with it!!!!!!!

yes gm's might need more work but atleast that work is easy lol.

BERTMAN

how much is it to get the head skimmed?, im 1/2 way thru doin the headgasket on my XS, an now just need to get it skimmed..., oh and what would happen if i didnt bother, bolted the engine back together after only replaceing the gasket, how long would it last b4 it went wrong?

ablister

it costs about £30 to get the head skimmed. It might not need skimmed though if it's within tolerance (0.05mm).

Guest smokinslim
It might not need skimmed though if it's within tolerance (0.05mm).

And you know this how?

I ask for future reference as according to my car's service history its next gasket is overdue lol

Rippthrough
And you know this how?

I ask for future reference as according to my car's service history its next gasket is overdue lol

Use a straight edge and some feeler blades.

Guest slindborg

i had 4thou taken off.

as for "according to the service history its overdue a gasket" WTF?!?!?! they arent a service item, they get replaced when they fail thats it really lol.

Ive flushed the system today, took the thermostat out to get more flush round faster and it seems mroe stable so im guessing the thermostat might have been playing silly buggers...

Guest smokinslim
as for "according to the service history its overdue a gasket" WTF?!?!?! they arent a service item, they get replaced when they fail thats it really lol.

I totally agree mate, reason i said that is;

When i got the car it was on about 160k (i wouldn't as a rule even look at a car with such high miles but this was an exception) and sporting it's 5th(!) head gasket for reasons unknown. I must have done 20-30k since i've had it, and virtually every one of those miles has been harder and faster than before i got my hands on it. I know this because it really wasn't that capable in standard form. I've had no signs of HG problems with it, going on the car's history i'm surprised by this and hence my saying it's overdue. Fingers crossed it'll stay that way a bit longer as i haven't finished replacing/fixing everything else yet lol

BTW, how's Ware these days? Haven't been down there since my grandmother moved back from Standon. Loved the area when i was a kid.

Edited by smokinslim

Rippthrough

Nothing wrong with old cars, so long as the owner before you had to go through the '100k part replacement regime'.

Guest slindborg

hmm i think the HG is still gone lol. its soda streaming the coolant. damnit. Replacement engine time me thinks. i CBA to whip the head off again.

Ware is fine, nice and quiete without the up itselfness of hertford :D

Sign in to follow this