• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
yorkshirekowboy

Cherry Red Body Work Guide

yorkshirekowboy

hi,

just wanting to know if anyone who has a cherry red gti, has any good points or guides on how to maintain the red to its glory and if fadeing does occur, how to help stop it of fix it?

thanks

jonD6B

Click me.

Speak to a car valeting place as they have a couple of products to stop the Red from bleading. A regular polish with good quality stuff is all I usually do. Try 'Mer' polish, this seems to give good protection and shine.

(Ignore the wing. Wrong colour altogether!)

Edited by jonD6B

Last Legend

Try 'Mer' polish, this seems to give good protection and shine.

Mer is water based (you can mix it with water to make a shampoo right?) so when it rains the wax gets washed off VERY quikly,something like Autoglms Super Resin Polish is oil based and has a little bit of cut,won't wash off anywhere near as quikly as Mer and will help with the oxidisation.

steve@cornwall

Problem is you can only cut and polish the outer coating of laquer! It WILL fade unfortunatly underneath. In places the laquer on my cherry red has been polished through and the paint underneath cuts back very easily leaving red darts along the edges of the orange panel!

d7ve_b

Has anyone got any experience respraying pabels on a cherry red and getting them to match? Mines obviously had a replacement door at some point and the paint is slightly faded in comparison.

steve@cornwall
Has anyone got any experience respraying pabels on a cherry red and getting them to match? Mines obviously had a replacement door at some point and the paint is slightly faded in comparison.

tried a quote in a few bodyshops and they say impossible to match, besides will fade at different rate and be different shade in 12 months anyway.

Last Legend

Cherry Red is a single stage paint you shouldn't have laquer (clear coat) over it as this is really for metalics.

Paintguy?

Paintguy
Cherry Red is a single stage paint you shouldn't have laquer (clear coat) over it as this is really for metalics.

Paintguy?

Could be either.

As from the factory, P0KB meant single stage. P3KB was lacquered.

But with cars of this age, they could well have had paintwork in the past, and not all bodyshops will paint like for like. So you could end up with a car with a variety of single stage or base and lacquer.

laser_GTI

Meguirs do a good three stage wax to help bring back and protect colours. I think they are known as Deep crystal.

Last Legend

Could be either.

Are you saying some Cherry Red coloured cars have laquer top coat from the factory?If so any idea from what Year?

Paintguy

Yes, but I'm not sure of the year it changed.

steve@cornwall
Yes, but I'm not sure of the year it changed.

if its any help my '88 (F) is laquered, the bootlid is from a 'K' plate turbo diesel and is also laquered,(so was the rest of it). series 1 cti is not (not sure of the age as reg in guernsey but as rhd ser.1 must be either 86/7?).So if its age related probably changed '88?

Last Legend

my 1990 'g' reg 1.9 205 phase 1.5 isnt laquered.

I never new they laquered sigle stage paint,anyone know why?

Paintguy
I never new they lacquered single stage paint, anyone know why?

If it's lacquered, then it isn't single stage :)

I don't want to go into a massive technical explanation, so I'll just say: coz it's better ;)

If you think about it, with a single stage / Direct Gloss paint, it has to fulfill many roles; supplying the colour, in the form of pigment, a durable high gloss finish, and also supply its own UV protection. A base and lacquer system can have the base coat concentrating purely on providing the colour, then the lacquer can provide the various forms of protection and finish.

steve@cornwall
my 1990 'g' reg 1.9 205 phase 1.5 isnt laquered.

Lucky b**ger! no laquer!!!! any fade and does it cut nicely? I'm jealous!

I think its respray time for mine and will probably go for single stage (should be cheaper and easier to maintain in future)

surferkid28, yours laquered or not?

Edited by steve@cornwall

yorkshirekowboy

hi,

well im not sure, it looks as though it has a top coat of clear something, but the paint on the car is original for when it came out of the factory!! I think the paint code for it is p3kb so would that tell me if lauquered or not?

thanks

hi,

well im not sure, it looks as though it has a top coat of clear something, but the paint on the car is original for when it came out of the factory!! I think the paint code for it is p3kb so would that tell me if lauquered or not?

thanks

Last Legend

Lucky b**ger! no laquer!!!! any fade and does it cut nicely? I'm jealous!

Yeah,I comes up really nicely,I will probably be entering it in the PSOC National Convention Show and Shine this Year so if you or anyone else is around at the show come over and say hello.

Paintguy
I think the paint code for it is p3kb so would that tell me if lauquered or not?

Give it a rub with some rubbing compound, or a polish that has a bit of 'cut' in it. If your cloth turns red, it's not lacquered.

yorkshirekowboy

hi,

so mine 1991 is laquer free?

thanks

dan

Paintguy

I was wondering when you'd pop in Andy :excl:

Andy_C

:D

From the images needs a good machine polish.

Will reply to your PM surferkid as I may be able to point you in someone local's direction who can help you :)

yorkshirekowboy
:D

From the images needs a good machine polish.

Will reply to your PM surferkid as I may be able to point you in someone local's direction who can help you :blush:

cheers buddy

Andy_C

Have asked a few contacts mate - will let you know. One of them is IMHO one of the best car detailers in the UK and is Leeds/Bradford based - will let you know :blink:

Sign in to follow this