• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jonmurgie

Removing Mi16 From 205 - Pics & Progress

Jonmurgie

Well I started to pull the 205 apart last night and thought I'd do a kind of 'blog' thing on my site with each days progress seeing as things are going to move quite fast! So here you go: http://www.mdracing.co.uk/engineremoval.asp

I'll post what I've written on here as well incase anyone can't be arsed to look at my site (you don't know what your missing out on!):

25th April - Having already drained the oil from the engine and gearbox at over the weekend (there was no metal in the engine oil, which is a good sign!) I just needed to crack on with removing stuff! First was to get the driveshafts removed, which involves undoing the often tricky hub nut. Fortunately, as my car has been apart so many times now most things come loose nice and easily, and so did these. With then loosened the car was put on axel stands and things started to move along nicely.

Undoing the tie rods, removing the drop links, undoing the ball joint and releasing the hub from the shock was pretty easy this time around having all been off in the past year anyhow. Then the shocks came out and the strut brace too. Last to be removed were the drive shafts, now the passenger side is easy and once removed from the hub it just kind of falls out of the gearbox. On the drivers side you have to undo and rotate the 2 bolts on the rear engine mount, this catches a fair few people out first time around (I know it caught me out a couple of years ago!). Once you know how it works it's easy to get them undone and the drivers driveshaft out.

Final job for the evening was removing the front calipers, simply a case of undoing the flexi hose from the solid hose join in the inner wing. I thought it would leak brake fluid everywhere but it didn't leak a drop! And that's the progress so far...

And some pics of the progress... including an amazing hovering 205!

removal1.jpg

removal2.jpg

removal3.jpg

Have also re-jigged the homepage so it makes the news and the latest galleries more obvious :)

Cheers

Jon

huckleberry

Why are you getting it out now? You've only barely finished getting it all setup. Is this for the engine QEP are building? Wouldn't that mean you have to get you ECU remapped again?

Tim

Jonmurgie

It's coming out now cause the bottom end spun a bearing or something at combe over the weekend just gone... so no good sat in there! And yes, the MoTeC will be re-mapped when the new engine goes in as it's quite a higher spec :)

Here's the info from the thread about combe:

Castle Combe provided it's usual mixed bag of fun at the first Action Day of 2006. As most will know these days are quite enterraining for there wide mix of cars and even wider mix of driving skills (or lack of!). I personally enjoy these days as there's something pleasing about overtaking pretty much everything cause they are mostly rubbish, though you have to be careful they don't drive into you as everyone seems out to prove something!

With the first session I had a blast... once I'd caught up with it I spent most of my time breathing in the fumes of a '550bhp @ wheels' Skyline R33 GTR (Steve on the GTR forums) except for one moment when he braked and I was a little too close, so breakd harder, spun out at around 90ish and ran along the grass sideways over on the back straight, never a good thing! Still, didn't loose much ground and was soon back in his bumper (after a slightly dodgy manouver at The Esses, I blame the 206 GTi!). Went and had a chat with the guy afterwards, car had a spec sheet as long as my arm and he'd spent £1000's on it... tee hee!!

combeaction1.jpg

Second session started off with a looooooooong wait in the pits as they no doubt cleared away the remains of some chav-mobile or other... heading out all was well, for about 2 1/2 laps... then it happened... what I've been expecting to happen for months now... the bottom end spun a bearing... it took me a few seconds to realise what it was, but kind of fortunately it didn't let go in a big hairy fashion, it just started knocking so as I was almost at the end of the lap I trundled into the pits and have never had so many looks as I knocked my way past everyone!

So it's finally a goodbye to that Mi16 engine that's done me so well for the past year and a half... it's done me proud, especially taking on the added power of the Jenvey's smile.gif A quick call to the AA and they came out an hour later with a recovery truck and took me back home, got to say a big thanks to the AA though, they are tops when it comes to breaking down at a circuit biggrin.gif

combeaction2.jpg

Have already drained the oils out of the car and it's not full of metal so that's a good sign I guess... aiming to pull the motor out this coming weekend... biggest shame though is that my new engine won't be ready before FCS as I'm actually getting it AT the FCS! Soooooooo... I'm going to see how the 306 goes on the track!!

All my pictures are here: http://www.mdracing.co.uk/track23.asp

All my movies are here: http://www.mdracing.co.uk/movie23.asp

And as a special bonus I've extracted the audio of my engine just as it went and I came back into the pics here: http://www.mdracing.co.uk/movies/220406/bottomend.mp3

Edited by Jonmurgie

Jonmurgie

Made some great progress last night, all ready to drop the engine out at the weekend now... it's great when things have been apart before as it all comes undone again!!

Adam came over to help out:

removal4.jpg

All the nice bits came off, managed to get the TB's off in one go:

removal5.jpg

With everything removed it looks so lonely!

removal6.jpg

Though let's not forget the lovely stack of wires as found in all Peugeots:

removal7.jpg

Loads more pics and a writeup here: http://www.mdracing.co.uk/engineremoval.asp

Dream Weaver

Looking good Jon, are you dropping the engine out the bottom, or craning it?

Once you have your Motec in you can junk that old wiring - I just have a single loom now - disconnect about 20 connectors from the engine and then pull it out :)

Jonmurgie

We're going to dro pthe engine down to remove the exhaust manifold, then crane it out as I have access to one... it also makes it easier to get the engine onto the stand as well :)

Indeed that wiring will be junked, plan is to have Curtis @ PowerStation do a complete new engine loom with just what we need all neat and tidy like.

hexhamstu

listened to the mp3 sounds like youve got anti lag or something!

Edited by hexhamstu

smckeown

subframe and bay degunk needed I think.

Are you using the same shell with the new engine ?

Jonmurgie

Yes, going to keep this shell for the time being... I was looking at going for a different one but for now I don't have the spare £££ to buy one and get it prep'd.

Am removing EVERYTHING though so it can all be cleaned up and painted nicely. Will also be starting the dry sump install soon too as there's a fair bit to be done on that!

kyepan
Yes, going to keep this shell for the time being... I was looking at going for a different one but for now I don't have the spare £££ to buy one and get it prep'd.

Am removing EVERYTHING though so it can all be cleaned up and painted nicely. Will also be starting the dry sump install soon too as there's a fair bit to be done on that!

Just noticed you had a pulsar at one point.. had one too a year or so ago.. :) quick cars.

Alastairh

Looking good.

Bling up that engine bay!

Guest rick03054

Love threads like this :)

Jon, any chance you could take a picture from below of how much space there is between the engine and the bottom of the bulkhead with the subframe removed? If it's similar to an 8 valve anyway.

I basicaly need to know if theres enough space for me to get in there with an angle grinder with the engine still in place.

Banjo

Whats the plan now mate, you sorting out the new engine?

Ben

Jonmurgie

Yeah just going to wait for the new engine and spend the time cleaning up the engine bay/parts and sorting out half of the dry sump install :)

jonD6B

Is the bottom end repairable or won't you know until it's stripped?

Jonmurgie

Well we had a busy weekend, but I've got to pop out so a full update coming later today but I just wanted to get these pics up for you all to gaze in wonder at the beauty of it all!!

The sight that met us when we dropped the sump off... mmmm... shiny

removal10.jpg

Once all the bits were dug out we decided it was supposed to be a big end bearing:

removal8.jpg

And as I thought, the manifold if cracked as well...

removal9.jpg

Hey ho... more details/pics later :)

Banjo

Proper job!

James_R

Not bad going, makes this look like a feeble attempt :blush:

photo0082a7sp.jpg

Jonmurgie

oooh.. nice!

Have finished updating my site with pictures and details of what we did over the weekend: http://www.mdracing.co.uk/engineremoval.asp and there's a little movie of the rod movement on the crank before we removed it: http://www.mdracing.co.uk/images/engineremoval/crank.avi

Here are a few more pics... anyone care to guess at whether the crank can be saved?

removal11.jpg

removal12.jpg

removal13.jpg

And in the process I injured my thumb so raided the dog's first aid kit and ended up with a paw printed bandage!

removal14.jpg

Here's the write up:

29th April 2006 - After borrowing an engine crane for the day a few mates came over (Stu, Chris and Andy) to help with the engine removal, or so they said... I think they just wanted to see how messed up the bottom end was! Anyhow, the first job was to lower the engine in the bay so that we could easily remove the 4-2-1 manifold. We messed up a little as we'd threaded the rope THROUGH the manifold so we have to un-hook the engine from the crane to get it off. Oh, and we were using nylon rope as I didn't have any chains, but I've used nylon rope many times before and found it works very well.

So with the manifold off we pulled the engine out of the car, I'd already removed the gearbox engine mount/battery tray for more clearance. Then the gearbox was removed, only a few bolts and as it's been off not that long ago it was a breeze. With the clutch and flywheel also removed we bolted up the engine stand mount and within minutes had the engine off the crane and sitting happily on the stand. It was now time to get into the engine...

Once we had removed what felt like about 40 sump bolts we had the sump on the floor... and then stood back in awe and wonder at the shiny mess we were presented with. Needless to say it was the majority of a big end bearing sat in the bottom of the sump. So we flipped the engine on it's side and had a look at which bearing it was. Turned out to be from piston 3 (counting from the cambelt end looking at the engine as fitted in the car) and we were able to rock the conrod on the crank quite a lot, you can download a quick movie of the movement.

So we carried on taking the crank out and the rest of the big end bearing fell out as well. Going to send the crank off to see if it's salvageable or not, hope so as I'd like to build this back up and sell it on. I'm glad that I will be picking up my new engine at the end of the month!

With the manifold now removed I was also able to check the condition as I had a feeling it was blowing, and my feelings were correct. Turns out that there is a crack between one of the 2-1 sections. It's easy to see so I'm going to look at either getting this one repaired or even having one made by an exhaust contact that I have. Either way, I can only guess that the car would have lost some power due to the exhaust manifold leak which started just after it was mapped.

and also

1st May 2006 - With the engine out of the way I went about pulling some more stuff out of the car, mostly the Cobra Monaco seats and subframes as I've sold those and have some Cobra Imola seats to be fitted. I also wanted to get the engine look out of the car again so I can really clean up the engine bay. The engine loom is quite a neat self-contained affair that simply has 2 multiplugs that clip into the main 205 loom, with those undone the whole loom easily comes out of the car.

The next updates will now be on stripping the car some more and preparing the chassis for the new engine, the biggest task being to fit the dry sump system. I'm also going to be pulling the dash out to remove the last of the sound deadening and doing something with the roof/sunroof.

Edited by Jonmurgie

Banjo

That crank looks nasty, any news on the bathroom?

Ben

Edited by Banjo

JamieTonks

woops. i suppose it has had a few track days though aint it. has it been rebuilt b4?

Sign in to follow this