• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matty_gti

Which Fuel Or Ron?

matty_gti

hi, ive done my search and found only a liitle info thats actually helpfull.

just a couple of q's.

1. what is that standerd fuel or ron that my car should run on, or what is it ment to run as standerd?

2. What is the best or best performance fuel or ron that my car would run on?

3. If i use the standerd fuel how whould i start to adjust the timing to prevent any pinking?, and same if i was going to use the performance fuel?

And finally, if i wanted to get the most amount of miles per gallon out of the car, which fuel?.

TEKNOPUG
hi, ive done my search and found only a liitle info thats actually helpfull.

just a couple of q's.

1. what is that standerd fuel or ron that my car should run on, or what is it ment to run as standerd?

2. What is the best or best performance fuel or ron that my car would run on?

3. If i use the standerd fuel how whould i start to adjust the timing to prevent any pinking?, and same if i was going to use the performance fuel?

And finally, if i wanted to get the most amount of miles per gallon out of the car, which fuel?.

At least 95RON, preferably 98RON. You can adjust the timing by rotating the distributor. Try running a search. Or take it to a RR to get it set up properly.

You've bought the wrong car if you are interested in MPG I'm afraid. But as before, get it tuned and running properly for best MPG.

matty_gti

ok, so atleast 98 ron. does it say what ron the fuel is at the pump?, or is like normal shell unleaded ok....ron wise?

when adjusting the distributar where do i start?, bang in the middle and which way then should i go, retard or advance?.

Thanks for you help, getting worried with all this pinking marlarky.

Ryan

You'll be fine with 97ron (normal super unleaded). You can also use 95ron regular unleaded if you adjust the timing.

As for MPG I get 35ish for motorway driving.

EnglishRob

In the manual to my old '89 1.6 205 it suggested using Super Unleaded (97RON).

I generally run my 1.9 205 on Super Unleaded (standard Sainsburys own brand) or if I'm low on cash standard Unleaded.

Rob

matty_gti

ok, so either super unleaded or if needs must then normal ul. is there a difference between optimax and super???

Ryan

Not really. Super is 97ron, and optimax is 98, but it's close enough to make no real difference.

It usually comes down to whichever you can get cheaper.

matty_gti

ok cheers mate for that. ill fill up my tank with whichever is cheapest after getting it taxed :P

TEKNOPUG

NO, fill it up with Optimax, there really is no excuse for saving a few quid a year

Ahl

If I remember rightly, (late) 1.6's were specified to make their 115bhp on standard 95ron unleaded petrol.

Only 1.9's were specified as only to be run on 97ron super unleaded as standard.

So you can run your 1.6 on standard unleaded, and it should make the full standard power.

You can try running your car on higher octane fuel and advancing your ignition to take advantage of it if you like. You should see some benefit, but it may not be as pronounced a difference as when retarding a 1.9 to run on standard 95ron unleaded.

Banjo

Advancing the dizzy will make the revs rise and retarding it will make the revs drop.. will need to adjust idle afterwards.

Ben

matty_gti

ok, so either optimax or normal ul. if i use the optimax with out adjusting the timing will it pink or will i just not any gain out of using optimax over normal unleaded.

Yeah it is a late 1.6, the dizzy at the mo sits on its marks so if its ment to use normal ul ill just use that??????

Rob_the_Sparky

I've not played with a 1.6 but it is certainly much more forgiving than a 1.9 to fuel.

UL is 95RON

Super is 97 RON

Optimax is 98 RON

Tesco Super is 99 RON

I can tell you the difference between Optimax is clear on my 1.9 (it is tweaked).

My advice is learn how to play with the ignition timing then try various fuels. Some people have reported that the loss in mpg from switching to UL from SUPER or Optimax made it more expensive to use UL despite it being cheaper per litre but I can't remember whether that was on 1.9s or 1.6s, I suspect it was on 1.9s.

Try UL first and check your mpg, if it is in the low 30s then stick with it. If it is significantly lower then you stand a chance of improving it with better fuel.

Try a search on ignition timing adjustment (I'll write it out if you can't find anything).

Rob

d7ve_b

I've only had my car a few months and i've always filled it up with regular unleaded as I'd not given any thought to the octane rating required. Out of curiosity I filled up with optimax last time and I believe there is a clear difference in terms of power, it feels much stronger throughout the rev range. People will say its the placebo effect but I disagree.

Also, I've not finished the tank yet but it looks like I might get more miles out of it.

jonD6B

I always run my cars on Optimax. I've had my 1.9 set up professionally whilst running Optimax so I just continue to use that. It only costs £25 or so for a professional tune so choose your fuel and have it set up properly for piece of mind and optimum running IMO.

The other thing to remember is that Optimax is supposed to be a much more beneficial fuel for the engine in terms of it's cleaning properties. (If you believe their sales pitch atleast). However, it was originally derived from F1 racing fuels.

Edited by jonD6B

matty_gti

ok, im starting to get it now.

So how many litres in a gallon?, once i do that then should i see how many miles i get out of it and if its the low 30's then i should stick?.

Ill try normal ul first and see waht happens (the car is sorn'd at the mo, start driving it next week.

if i need to adjust the ignition timing?, where should i start, i know that advanicng is clockwise and retard in anti clockwise.

At the mo the dizzy is in the place where it is marked. if im using normal ul and i want to go to optimax then which way should i turn it?. i know there are 2 11mm bolts that hold it in place but when adjusting it do i use the bottom nut as a pivet to tilt it, or does the whole thing need to turn round?.

Cheers for your help :P

Edited by matty_gti

matty_gti

like AHL said,

"the late 1.6's make there 115bhp on the standerd 95 ron fuel".

Is this the standerd fuel that if the dizzy is in the correct place then pinking wont occur (havent ever heard it before).

My car is standerd and i just need to know what is the safest and or standerd ron fuel whether it be boggo or optimax??

Rob_the_Sparky

4.54 litres per gallon.

Position of distributer: they are not marked from factory so the "mark" could be anywhere in regards to ignition timing. If you are adjusting the timing then it is always wise to mark it before you start so you know how much it has been adjusted from the start point.

Whether you use UL or decent fuel depends whether you are interestedin power. However, as said I don't know how significant the power difference is on a 1.6. On a 1.9 then Optimax also makes most sense due to the increase in mpg over UL but again AFAIK a 1.6 is more forgiving so may well be cheaper on UL. Either is safe and the choice of which one to use is yours. I'd recommend you try both (with a suitable ignition adjustment each time) and see what you prefer...

If timing is over advanced for the fuel/engine then it will pink. If it isn't pinking it does not guarantee correct timing. It could be over retarded meaning you will loose power but it would not pink.

Rob

matty_gti

brilliant, thats the kinda help im looking for :) .

So if im going to use normal ul and it pinks where the distributar is at the mo (where its marked) then i should retard it. And if i want to go on to use optimax/super then i should advance the distributar untill it pinks and then retard a liitle until it doesnt to get correct timing and performance?.

Rob_the_Sparky

That is the idea. Advance it until it just pinks then retard by 0.5 to 1 degree as max power is a bit before pinking. As said earlier a rolling road can be used to optimise it but AFAIK it is an expensive way to get a very small gain as you can get so close without one.

Rob

trickywoo
If I remember rightly, (late) 1.6's were specified to make their 115bhp on standard 95ron unleaded petrol.

Only 1.9's were specified as only to be run on 97ron super unleaded as standard.

So you can run your 1.6 on standard unleaded, and it should make the full standard power.

You can try running your car on higher octane fuel and advancing your ignition to take advantage of it if you like. You should see some benefit, but it may not be as pronounced a difference as when retarding a 1.9 to run on standard 95ron unleaded.

Thats one reason I got a 1.6 over the 1.9. Normal unleaded is fine in mine (no 'pinking' and a shade over 35mpg, although I was expecting to do a bit better than that).

Ahl

My 1.9 does 36mpg regularly, though thats on optimax.

With the timing adjusted not to pink, it'll run on normal unleaded ok, but it does 30-32mpg. (and its a lot slower!) It works out slightly cheaper on optimax.

Sign in to follow this