• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
d7ve_b

Pas Issues

d7ve_b

Hi All,

My 205 has PAS fitted, but this is only noticeable by the fact that I can see the PAS resovoir in the engine bay! The steering is heavy when standing (running 185-55-15s) but feels spot on at speed. I haven't identified what has caused the death of the PAS yet, but I am hoping to this weekend therefore I have a few questions:

What are the main points of failure on these?

When attampeting to diagnose the problem, does anyone have any tips on where I should be looking first?

The big question is then, should I keep it or just remove it? I bought the car for its legendary handling and I don't really mind the heavy steering that much, but I suppose PAS would be nice. On the other hand I don't want to lose any of the feel and if it costs big money to repair then its coming off.

Has anyone had this dilemma before who could offer valuable experience?

Thanks,

Dave.

Butler

I have the exact same issue. Changed the PAS pump to no avail. Looking into getting a whole rack from somewhere.

Waiting for pay day.

d7ve_b
I have the exact same issue. Changed the PAS pump to no avail. Looking into getting a whole rack from somewhere.

Waiting for pay day.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did the PAS pump set you back? and how did you diagnose it to be faulty?

Thanks,

Dave.

Dream Weaver

I've removed mine and it feels no different, except maybe when parking.

Steering is still light when driving it normally, even round town. My thinking was that its one less thing to go wrong.

Where abouts in North Manchester are you?

Butler
If you don't mind me asking, how much did the PAS pump set you back? and how did you diagnose it to be faulty?

Its wasn't faulty. I still have the problem. I changed it, because it was the cheapest easiest thing to start with.

I think I'll either remove it, or more likely get a new rack. Another member on here as a reconned one for sale.

d7ve_b

Steering is still light when driving it normally, even round town. My thinking was that its one less thing to go wrong.

Where abouts in North Manchester are you?

I agree on the 'one less thing to go wrong' comment, I also reckon I'll save some weight :D

I'm in littleborough near Rochdale.

Its wasn't faulty. I still have the problem. I changed it, because it was the cheapest easiest thing to start with.

I think I'll either remove it, or more likely get a new rack. Another member on here as a reconned one for sale.

Ah right, well good luck with the rack if you decide to take that route. Did you get a price for the reconned rack?

I need to get under mine at the weekend to understand the setup of the pump and rack etc as I have little experience with 205's. I take it there's no way to test the pump without replacing it?

steve@cornwall

The steering is heavy when standing (running 185-55-15s) but feels spot on at speed.

Isn't it a progressive system? ie almost useless at low speed (when wanted) then increased assistance when you don't! Put pas on 87 cti and didn't like it at all, makes it feel like the arse end is trying to overtake you at quick corners, or was mine FUBAR?

Dream Weaver
I'm in littleborough near Rochdale.

Near Hollingworth, i'm not far from you, over near Burnley :P

Banjo

Thats the wrong way round Steve, assistance at low speed getting less as the cars speed increases.

If it was my car I would take all the pas bits off just leaving the rack (With the ram removed) then you've got yourself a free quick rack..

Try a search

Ben

Edited by Banjo

keith

i personally hated pas! gave the car a strange feel when cornering at speed, just diddnt seem in control. i would ditch it!

steve@cornwall
Thats the wrong way round Steve, assistance at low speed getting less as the cars speed increases.

If it was my car I would take all the pas bits off just leaving the rack (With the ram removed) then you've got yourself a free quick rack..

Try a search

Ben

cheers Ben, probably knackered on mine then! it was free so ......

I'm for ditching it too!

Simes

Definitely at parking and allied to that when it's cold it's very heavy but once on the move it's great and you get enormous feedback in every bend.

Technically an MOT failure due to a PAS rack with no assistance = PAS not working.

Edited by Simes

Dream Weaver

Just need a friendly MOT tester :)

Butler

Drove about the first 10 miles of my journey home last night and my PAS was working fine again then went heavy again. Gone heavy again today. Weird.

Craigb
Drove about the first 10 miles of my journey home last night and my PAS was working fine again then went heavy again. Gone heavy again today. Weird.

Could that be a sticking pressure relief ?

Don't quite know how the pump works , but those symptoms would indicate that in a standard hydraulic application.. varying pressure ? therefore varying weight assistance

Butler

I have already changed the pump. So I assume its the ram.

Top mounts are fairly new too.

d7ve_b

It might have to go then. Theres a few other things that need sorting which are going to cost a fair bit, and I can live without PAS. Best figure out how to rip the lot out!

madspikes

You guys with PAS, do you find the car wonders and changes direction on it own accord sometime? On a nice flat track its ok, A and B roads it can be a pig.

I've got PAS and also thinking of sacking it for this reason. The steering isnt too heavy whist parking, most newer cars have lighter steering. It also can get a little too light at speed.

(Sorry of the bit of a highjack!)

Butler

No. Unless there's camber changes, but i think thats down to the camber from the 309 wishbones and running 195 wide tyres.

Maybe you have play in the steering or something else is a miss. Wishbone bushes are a common issue.

madspikes

Its not arms or bushes been down that route. I suppose it is when the camber changes, ok so that might be down to the 195s I'm running. The PAS isnt safe yet!

mbayley77

I have been toying with the idea of putting PAS onto mine but from what is being said I think i shall just use the rack to make it a quick one.

My rack has play in it also at the mo which causes it to wonder on the road and almost fail its mot which they thought was a ball joint or track rod end??? duh

888rmb

If when you undo the track rod ends from the hub, the track rods fall down and flop about, then the ball joint is knackered on the inner end of the track rod. This will cause the car to wander about on the road. You can change the track rods, they are not too dear from the likes of Eurocar parts.

Sign in to follow this